Gulp.......... kinda nervous

15F

Forum Ride Along
I have been working mall security for a few months, but after our required cpr first aid training, I am under stress because I do not think I am the best person for this line of work.

I am normally posted in the food court area, and eventually someone is gonna choke. The training was kinda vague. When positioning my fist, does it matter which one? so it is flat against the upper stomach (soft tissue), right above the belly button, but how do medics do that, do you just guess or eyball it, or feel? And then when the thrust is it just straight back or kinda upward curve? they are supposed to be fast and jerky. How is the stance positioned (how wide feet are apart, is back straight? Do I do one and then step to their side to check on them, and go one at a time like that? And normally the stuff doesn't go flying out, it kinda goes down after that right......? I did it once on my brother (not sure if correctly) and thats what happened.

Also CPR, when I find out they aren't breathing, they said to remove or rip clothing that hindered chest compressions after the first two breaths given:

1. With what? a multi tool? (I'm not strong enough (6'6" 181lbs) to rip a t shirt I don't think, it would just stretch right? Should I practice with my old t shirts. And females..............the guy instructor mentioned cutting the bra with the scissors and what if they suddenly wake up, but that has led to me question...............they are supposed to be removed when chest compressions start right? Please tell me the procedure for dealing with clothing.

2. Also how to know where the nipples are coming out of the previous question, I suppose I could feel and guess, but then again, those busty females..........................the nipples and the breasts are not exactly in the accurate place, they hang down to the zyphoid somtimes...... (guys nipples are right there on the ribcage)

My instructors weren't that great. They are certified to teach, and are both supervisors of the company. They both have performed CPR until you all got to the scene, but I dunno if I should go pay to another class at a college.

I am thinking since I am 19, naive, and not familiar with body mechanics and anotomy (new at kung fu, virgin) so ya especially with females, I guess I'd perform better on a guy (females have more body fat content and are thus softer)

Anyway, thanks for reading this rediculous stuff. If I have to do this or am the closest person then I would like to do it right, but the emt training is in depth and not worth the drive to the college offering it and the time if I am not going into that field. I wanna be a park ranger so still will need this training, but geese, maybe I shouldn't...........I'm a skeptic and have doubt.

Thanks a bunch. It is still fun doing security though. Even though I'm not the best person (quiet, reserved, shy, peaceful)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I have been working mall security for a few months, but after our required cpr first aid training, I am under stress because I do not think I am the best person for this line of work.

I am normally posted in the food court area, and eventually someone is gonna choke. The training was kinda vague. When positioning my fist, does it matter which one? so it is flat against the upper stomach (soft tissue), right above the belly button, but how do medics do that, do you just guess or eyball it, or feel? And then when the thrust is it just straight back or kinda upward curve? they are supposed to be fast and jerky. How is the stance positioned (how wide feet are apart, is back straight? Do I do one and then step to their side to check on them, and go one at a time like that? And normally the stuff doesn't go flying out, it kinda goes down after that right......? I did it once on my brother (not sure if correctly) and thats what happened.

Also CPR, when I find out they aren't breathing, they said to remove or rip clothing that hindered chest compressions after the first two breaths given:

1. With what? a multi tool? (I'm not strong enough (6'6" 181lbs) to rip a t shirt I don't think, it would just stretch right? Should I practice with my old t shirts. And females..............the guy instructor mentioned cutting the bra with the scissors and what if they suddenly wake up, but that has led to me question...............they are supposed to be removed when chest compressions start right? Please tell me the procedure for dealing with clothing.

2. Also how to know where the nipples are coming out of the previous question, I suppose I could feel and guess, but then again, those busty females..........................the nipples and the breasts are not exactly in the accurate place, they hang down to the zyphoid somtimes...... (guys nipples are right there on the ribcage)

My instructors weren't that great. They are certified to teach, and are both supervisors of the company. They both have performed CPR until you all got to the scene, but I dunno if I should go pay to another class at a college.

I am thinking since I am 19, naive, and not familiar with body mechanics and anotomy (new at kung fu, virgin) so ya especially with females, I guess I'd perform better on a guy (females have more body fat content and are thus softer)

Anyway, thanks for reading this rediculous stuff. If I have to do this or am the closest person then I would like to do it right, but the emt training is in depth and not worth the drive to the college offering it and the time if I am not going into that field. I wanna be a park ranger so still will need this training, but geese, maybe I shouldn't...........I'm a skeptic and have doubt.

Thanks a bunch. It is still fun doing security though. Even though I'm not the best person (quiet, reserved, shy, peaceful)

hahaha, this is hilarious. One word: neurotic. How do you get through the day? This stuff isn't brain surgery. Just read your darn book and get'er done!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Take it easy, Guardian.

15F, you're overthinking the scenarios. When it happens, remember whose emergency it is...take a deep breath and let your training take over.

As far as removing the clothes go, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are going to be using an AED. If you use an AED, you should see if there are some trauma shears in the AED kit. If they're not there, you may want to suggest it to who ever is responsible for the equipment.

The nipple line is a quick reference point to place the hands...it's where the line would be if there wasn't breasts (male and female :p). The point of it is to make sure that your hands are placed on the sternum far enough away from the xiphoid process/solar plexus.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
hmm

hahaha, this is hilarious. One word: neurotic. How do you get through the day? This stuff isn't brain surgery. Just read your darn book and get'er done!

Being exposed to this stuff as professionals must make some forget that not everyone is comfortable with the thought of having someone´s life in their hands. Though not necessarily brain surgery, these skills can be equally as important.

I apologize, but I had to say something.

Much luck 15F!

EMT19053

Forum Crew Member
I have to agree with EMTMandy. I felt the same doubt in my abilities until I had a friend choke on a piece of hamburger at lunch one day. I also had to do cpr on another friend that went unresponsive while ordering his supper. It was after those incidents that I decided to become an EMT. Good luck 15F and don't sell yourself short. P.S. maybe look at a first responder course if an emt course is to long at this time.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Also how to know where the nipples are coming out of the previous question, I suppose I could feel and guess, but then again, those busty females..........................

Ummmmm, I probably wouldn't recommend this one, it may be hard to explain!

OP
OP

15F

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for reply. There is a college (two others are closer and I attend at both) that is kinda far, but I think it is the closest place that offers EMT stuff. If they had it at my college or the other, both are accessible to me, I would consider taking it, but I thought it was like 6 months and more intense. Like a program rather than just one class. It won't be my major, and I worry it is just in a different direction.........I can't learn everything or I would be in college my whole life.

I dunno if it is practical for me, considering my career path.

So I leave the clothes on until the AED arrives? They do have shears in the AED kit. By then I'll have other officers there to help. But still.............

Ugh. I am an introvert, so thats why my post is wierd sounding. Thank you though anyways for your advice.

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
Don't overthink this stuff!!:excl:

I teach lay and professional rescuer CPR at the Red Cross. I do admit that often times the training is a bit vague but you need to remember that these skills are not brain science. If you give people too much to remember they will start forgetting critical things. Do not overanalyze this stuff, do something. The most important thing you can do is to recognize the emergency, call 911 and provide care to the best of your ability. Don't second guess yourself, you can do it!

You may consider taking a first responder course. THis is approximately 54 hrs of training and is essentially the equivalance of about 1/3 of the EMT curriculum. I think it would be a good fit for you. I took a couple of years before I became an EMT. It is a great class for someone who wants to learn advanced skills but has no intention of becoming a health care provider.

I am a bit of an introvert too but why are you second guessing yourself if you've already saved your brothers life!B) I haven't done that and I am an EMT. You have already proven that you can act in an emergency and that is super important.

My suggestion for you is reread your book. Practice the skills on a stuffed animal or pillow. Retake the class or observe another class if possible. Get as confident with the material as you can. This is definitely no reason to quit your job, as long as you chill out and trust in your training you will do fine.B)

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
15F, I understand you are nervous about this stuff....I'm sure many of us had all the 'what if' questions racing through our minds before our first go at CPR (I know I did); but the truth is, the more you practice it, the more comfortable you'll be, and the day you actually have to do it on a real 'dead' person, it'll come back to you and you'll remember. The best thing to do is practice, read, and ask questions until you understand. Check your local fire dept or community center-many have free CPR/AED/airway obstruction classes that will help you get more comfortable. It is good to keep in mind what many people here have said-remember it's THEIR emergency-not yours. If you forget that, you may forget it all. So, try to be confident...you just may save a life.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Being exposed to this stuff as professionals must make some forget that not everyone is comfortable with the thought of having someone´s life in their hands. Though not necessarily brain surgery, these skills can be equally as important.

I apologize, but I had to say something.

Much luck 15F!

Great point! I have that problem big time. I run in a high volume system with 98% non-emergency calls. I'm getting to the point where I have to remind myself to look interested so I don't offend the pt. This is because what many people consider an emergency doesn't even show up on my radar.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
yea, only worry about removing shirts and bras if you are going to be applying the AED, I have to be honest with you, in the field, a lot of the EMT's I know just kind-of eyeball it for compressions, most don't actually draw the line and find the right spot, but back to my AED thing, check to see if there are trauma shears in there, if not consider getting a pair and maybe one of those holsters for them and wear them with your security uniform, you never know...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
15f

Fun post. Keep working on your style and you'll soon be able to snooker everyone. You've already learned that a sprinkling of believable details draws everyone in close enough so you can hit them with the "nipple" punchline and get away with it.

Almost.

OP
OP

15F

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for reply

Ya, my posts are amusing and comic relief, but were stressing me out. I do enjoy my job and it is comparitively easy to others. I do not have the full out responsibility/task as cops or emt or firefighters or public relations people. We are just a sliver of each in the appropriate situations.

So when I get to the person I will have to make an estimate of the nipple line. Or if I feel the center where it curves and the zyphoid area, then go up from there and start. Isn't it called the zyphoid process. I forgot that, but it is a way to tell (as taught in highschool) i think.

There are shears with the AED so thats when I cut down the middle. My instructer and the video said loosen or remove clothing that would hinder compressions. But that could be a garment with buttons? I could just unbotton and open them up and then put the hand in between. So I could do compressions on hoody sweat shirt, just not a zip one. And as long as buttons arent in the way I'm good right. So if girls have a blouse shirt with a few buttions on the chest I could unbotton them and it wouldn't be completely exposing, just slightly, Then fold the flaps underneath and the center would stay exposed for chest compressions. What about strapless bras or ones that are hardcore/ Does that impede at all.

Touching females that way would be akward....................If I was the only one on scene and all those customers watching.......

Also, I was told I was supposed to count the compressions out loud, for liability and public image of responsible. I did so kinda wisper and quiet on the test, and he said they should be louder so everyone can hear. I think that is bull. Just load enough for me to keep track. But not quite a normal conversation volume.

Do EMTs move the arms to take off jackets? How have y'all dealt with clothing. My brother was hit by a car (fine and normal now) when he was young, and the shirt came off when he was loaded onto the stretcher, but a normal person or me as security isn't involved that long, so the right time to cut the shirt and bra if female is when the AED arrives........

Its fullproof like on family guy, but that isn't a good thing. They might as well have a sumo bodyslam them if I am gonna be the only person helping them the whole time. More than likely someone else will switch off with me after a while.........

One thing they didn't have us practice is one handed compressions (do I just hold the other hand around my forearm?) and baby (just two fingers) But on the radio I listen to the chatter when a baby was choking. I do not know this kind of hymlic stuff. And fat people it is a little different. And what determines if they are too fat.

And what if their rolls make compressions impossible (what about those people whose neck looks like a pack of hotdogs)? And how would I feel/guess the nipple line? Ugg so many questions. I might need a CPR first aid book for dummies. The nearest first responder might be far away at that college. Do they offer that through the city and stuff? It would be good for me to take.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
Also, I was told I was supposed to count the compressions out loud, for liability and public image of responsible. I did so kinda wisper and quiet on the test, and he said they should be louder so everyone can hear. I think that is bull. Just load enough for me to keep track. But not quite a normal conversation volume.

That is not bull!
One of the most important things you can do as a rescuer is count out loud as you do compressions. This is critically important because
1) It tells other people you know what your doing
2) It helps prevent you from hyperventilating
3) It focuses you on what you are doing
4) When doing 2 rescuer cpr it helps your partner know when to ventilate the patient if you are doing compression
5) It alerts EMTs/Medics to your location (if we can hear you counting we may be able to find you better)

An EMT has confidence in his/her abilities. I know your not an EMT but this is still important. You don't need to yell at the top of your lungs, but counting in a loud, strong voice is definitely a matter of professionalism. It will give you more confidence in your skills if you ever need to do CPR.

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
Touching females that way would be akward....................If I was the only one on scene and all those customers watching.......

Dude, if you ever have to give cpr, that will be the absolute last thing on your mind!

MRE

Forum Captain

That is not bull!
One of the most important things you can do as a rescuer is count out loud as you do compressions. This is critically important because
1) It tells other people you know what your doing
2) It helps prevent you from hyperventilating
3) It focuses you on what you are doing
4) When doing 2 rescuer cpr it helps your partner know when to ventilate the patient if you are doing compression
5) It alerts EMTs/Medics to your location (if we can hear you counting we may be able to find you better)

An EMT has confidence in his/her abilities. I know your not an EMT but this is still important. You don't need to yell at the top of your lungs, but counting in a loud, strong voice is definitely a matter of professionalism. It will give you more confidence in your skills if you ever need to do CPR.

He's right. I teach Pro Rescuer CPR for the Red Cross, and I always have my students count out loud, not only when doing compressions but also when checking for breathing/pulse. In their case (and possibly yours) this is important to keep them from going too fast if they ever need to use their skills.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
15F, the reason they took your brothers shirt off when he was hit by a car is beacuse it was a trauma call and they had to do a full physical assessment, expose is a word we are taught, always expose for injuries, as for your problem feeling awkward doing compressions on a females chest, don't worry, with the adrenaline rush you will probably get along with the professionalism you hopefully display you will do fine and forget about the awkwardness, also after w hile you eventually get used to it, hopefully you won't get too many, lol

NJN

The Young One
Dude, if you ever have to give cpr, that will be the absolute last thing on your mind!

Its true, the first time i ever had to perform CPR, which happened to be on female pt., the fact that she was female, was the last thing on my mind. I was just going through the steps i learned.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya, my posts are amusing and comic relief, but were stressing me out. I do enjoy my job and it is comparitively easy to others. I do not have the full out responsibility/task as cops or emt or firefighters or public relations people. We are just a sliver of each in the appropriate situations.
...........take.

Your kidding right? If this is some type of joke to you to through this post out on an EMS board and listen to the responses, grow up.

If, and I mean if, you will ever need to do CPR, you dont have to take any clothing off and you wont be feeling around for any nipples. You will act in a professional matter, call for help, and work through what you were trained to do. If you need help the dispatcher or a coworker can be used. It's not hard to do, i do understand the possibility of confusion since CPR training is so short, but you could always carry a little card with instructions on it.

Ah man, my days in retail at a mall, we ripped the security to shreds. Those guys would come into my store 4 at a time with police uniforms and more equipment on their belts than james bond. They had two cans of pepper spray, a night stick, a taser, a flash light and two sets of handcuffs and a radio. They drove around the parking lot with their lightbar on all day and night giving the employees tickets for parking in customer parking. I had many confrontations with them, whackers in the purest form.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Okay, I will add one sliver of advice into this.
A) It's good you are asking questions after your class-- it means that you were paying attention and thinking about what could happen. I have seen so many people just sit through the class and not care...
B ) If you think you are going to have to do CPR/Choke relief, think about finding a pocket mask or key chain mask to carry around with you. They really are small, and you will be glad you have it when you need it. They now have keychain metronomes for CPR that talk you through the entire process. Look into those. Consider having a pair of gloves available. Are there gloves in the AED?
C) Look at the AED you may use-- do you know how it works? Do you know the prompts? Where the pads are? Where do they go? Does removing the AED from the box alert anyone? How would you call for help (assuming you are surrounded by bystanders? Where is the nearest phone? Can you describe to someone where to find the AED? Think through contingencies.

Good Luck!