Guess the EKG

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
60 yo female, dizzy.

I'll post the 12 lead and more info in a bit.

And if anyone can tell me how to attach it so that you can zoom in without a huge file showing up in the post I will greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• EKG0001 Edited.jpg
    EKG0001 Edited.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 613

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am leaning towards Aberrant Atrial Flutter or an Antidromic AV Reentrant Tach instead of V tach

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
1:1 flutter.

Saw a good case report about one of these in an infant a while back. Gnarly stuff.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

1:1 flutter.

Saw a good case report about one of these in an infant a while back. Gnarly stuff.

Spoil sport :p I'll still post the 12 lead.

The pt was quite stable considering. Conscious, able to answer questions, radial pulse, EtCO2 of 25 mm/hg.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Why abberant?

I presume he means aberrant conduction. 1:1 AV conduction, at this rate, is by definition inappropriate, and usually implies an accessory pathway.

I think this is the first elderly patient I've seen with this rhythm; nice strip. Would love more info on the case if you can.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

I assumed that was what he meant, I'm curious why. Abberant conditions are typified by wide complex QRSs and this one is narrow.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Looks borderline to me, right around 120.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Looks borderline to me, right around 120.

Counting the flutter wave sure. If someone wants to bust out a geometry book I bet we can figure out the actual width of the QRS and I'm guessing it is around .06.

I've attached the 12 lead.

Attachments

• EKG0002 Edited.jpg
    EKG0002 Edited.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 392

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I assumed that was what he meant, I'm curious why. Abberant conditions are typified by wide complex QRSs and this one is narrow.

I was looking at this on my phone and it looked a little wide to me, but you are right it usually implies a wide complex QRS but as I understand it can also mean abnormal conduction such as the 1:1.

Also here is a good picture I found on Google

atrial_flutter_1_to_1_and_2_to_1-BIG.jpg

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Any thoughts on the extreme right axis deviation?

Just some random guesses (Not too much experience with EKGs )

-Possible history of COPD/Pulmonary hypertension. Seems to go along with that whole chain of events with cor pulmonale. Chronic Pulmonary hypertension leads to the RAE/LVH which usually leads to atrial arrhythmia (A fib/ Flutter) And the Right Axis.
- Or I think WPW can create Right axis deviation which may tie into that 1:1 conduction or preexcitation going on.

Mavrande

Forum Probie
60 yo female, dizzy.

And if anyone can tell me how to attach it so that you can zoom in without a huge file showing up in the post I will greatly appreciate it.

I don't get how this is guessing - I hope you don't tell your patients "I think you'll be OK, but really I'm just making a guess"...

Wide complex regular tachycardia at a rate of just under 300. That's VT until proven otherwise, but given the P waves I would guess atrial flutter with a bundle branch block.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Well, considering I already know what it is, I wasn't the one guessing, you guys were. However, someone got it in the second post, so not much guessing going on.

It is not wide. It is 1:1 flutter with the flutter wave buried in the beginning of the QRS.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
60 yo female, dizzy.

All the articles you've posted refer to pediatrics. This pt is late middle aged. In all three leads there appears to be a near verticle wave form indicating the QRS which is why, without a 12 lead, I'm going with SVT.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What were the clinical presentation, primary complaint, and the outcome?

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

The 12 lead is a few posts up. The pt self converted to 2:1 flutter before we had a chance to do anything. The rate went from 280 to 140.