green or blue lights?

michaelalex17

Forum Probie
hello. i have just become an EMT in NY. i want to get lights on my car. are they supposed to be blue or green? thanks

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There are several threads here that answer your question. Try the search feature.
If you have to ask this question here it is probably for the best that you don't have or use one. There is much more to ems than having a flashy blue light in you pov. It can be quite dangerous especially for the inexperienced. Your department will fill you in on the specifics....if they even allow/use them.

Welcome to EMTLife

OP
OP
M

michaelalex17

Forum Probie
ok thank you very much. i am new to the forum so i didnt know how to search. since you already answered my q though you said blue lights. i was just trying to learn about the POV lights. can green be used? or only blue? sorry for the noob question

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
ok thank you very much. i am new to the forum so i didnt know how to search. since you already answered my q though you said blue lights. i was just trying to learn about the POV lights. can green be used? or only blue? sorry for the noob question

Your best answer will come from your department.
That said..... I may be wrong but I believe you will need a letter from your chief or ops manager or whatever to have a light.

Achilles

Forum Moron
IMO you should stay away from green, green light is usually center of command.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
I was so confused. I just replied to this thread.

Then I see he posted it in multiple forums.....

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
IMO you should stay away from green, green light is usually center of command.
which would be good advice, but it's wrong in NYS. completely 100% wrong, according to New York State laws. This is why it's not always a good idea to take advice from people worldwide on something that has local regulations.

If you are part of a FD, you should get blue.

If you are part of an EMS agency, you should get green.

Either way, make sure you get the appropriate approvals from your internal command staff and your local law enforcement/government agency before you start outfitting your care with lights.

OP
OP
M

michaelalex17

Forum Probie
which would be good advice, but it's wrong in NYS. completely 100% wrong, according to New York State laws. This is why it's not always a good idea to take advice from people worldwide on something that has local regulations.

If you are part of a FD, you should get blue.

If you are part of an EMS agency, you should get green.

Either way, make sure you get the appropriate approvals from your internal command staff and your local law enforcement/government agency before you start outfitting your care with lights.

thank you. i will definitely look into the chain of command in terms of getting approved. thanks again everyone who answered.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
If you equip your POV with flashing lights without agency/county/state approval then you run the risk of being in violation of the law. You may want to speak to a lawyer before doing this.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you part of an agency/department? Do they require you get a blue/green light? If not i suggest you withhold from getting a blue/green light. It will cause nothing but trouble....

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
Here in ZA, there are lots of 'newbies' who have red lights all over the cars (we use red for ambulances and response cars)

Many don't seem to know that you must be a registered 'response' vehicle to use those reds and if you are caught by 'traffic' for using them, you'll get a massive fine.

My advice; don't do it - not unless you follow the correct procedures (if you are required too) and some more advice; "work stays at work - don't bring work home!"

OP
OP
M

michaelalex17

Forum Probie
Here in ZA, there are lots of 'newbies' who have red lights all over the cars (we use red for ambulances and response cars)

Many don't seem to know that you must be a registered 'response' vehicle to use those reds and if you are caught by 'traffic' for using them, you'll get a massive fine.

My advice; don't do it - not unless you follow the correct procedures (if you are required too) and some more advice; "work stays at work - don't bring work home!"

i dont know where you guys got the idea that i was going to do this without permission. i said on the first page i would look into getting aproval for it. if its not approved then i would never get the lights.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
i dont know where you guys got the idea that i was going to do this without permission. i said on the first page i would look into getting aproval for it. if its not approved then i would never get the lights.

Sorry if you felt we jumped to conclusions, however, we get a lot of these posts from new EMTs who ask all the same questions… Where do I get oxygen for my car? Where do I get blue lights for my car? How much stuff should I carry in my car "just in case"?

Really, this is a question that your FTO or orientation officer should be able to address with you. Ask him or her the question, "so, should I get blue or green lights for my car?" They'll tell you everything you need to know about how to mark your vehicle with response lights.

It's funny… We often get questions about blue lights and jump bags in POV's, but rarely do we get real "Operational" questions from newbies. For example, I'd be more concerned about how to fill out a PCR correctly or the appropriate method for restocking the truck after a call or how to transfill oxygen from the cascade system then what color lights I was going to get on my car.

But that's just me. YMMV.

OP
OP
M

michaelalex17

Forum Probie
Sorry if you felt we jumped to conclusions, however, we get a lot of these posts from new EMTs who ask all the same questions… Where do I get oxygen for my car? Where do I get blue lights for my car? How much stuff should I carry in my car "just in case"?

Really, this is a question that your FTO or orientation officer should be able to address with you. Ask him or her the question, "so, should I get blue or green lights for my car?" They'll tell you everything you need to know about how to mark your vehicle with response lights.

It's funny… We often get questions about blue lights and jump bags in POV's, but rarely do we get real "Operational" questions from newbies. For example, I'd be more concerned about how to fill out a PCR correctly or the appropriate method for restocking the truck after a call or how to transfill oxygen from the cascade system then what color lights I was going to get on my car.

But that's just me. YMMV.

i learned everything in the course in terms of what i need to know and i havent actually been in the field yet so i dont have any questions since this is the type of occupation where experience is different from what you will read about. what i mean is there is soooo many variables they cant teach everything. so i havent actually done anything yet so i cant ask anything else. but we didnt go over these lights in the course thats why i asked. the other reason i wanted them and it could be a bad idea i dont really know but i generally like to stop on the side of the road to help out with fender benders to make sure people are ok. but i thought if my car had lights on it then cars passing by would be more alert and give more space on the side of the road and be more alert.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
. the other reason i wanted them and it could be a bad idea i dont really know but i generally like to stop on the side of the road to help out with fender benders to make sure people are ok. but i thought if my car had lights on it then cars passing by would be more alert and give more space on the side of the road and be more alert.
Not likely.

People tend to drift the way they are looking. If they see flashing lights, I guarantee they will want to see what's going on. There's a reason we block traffic with one or two large fire apparatus. On your first MVA, watch the drivers. I'm willing to bet close to 100% of the drivers will not be looking at the road.

If it's a fender bender, odds are they are fine and do not need your assistance. Besides, what assistance could you offer? Stop them from walking around and hold c-spine? /sarcasm

And if it is a major accident, there's still almost nothing you're going to be good for.

I've made too many MV-Peds that occurred from friendly motorists stopping to see if somebody needs help. One cop dead, one cop now missing his left leg (both of these with flashy lights), several DOA civilians, and many trauma alerts.

Do yourself a favor and don't stop for an accident, where the odds of you being of any help at all are slim to none.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

michaelalex17

Forum Probie
Not likely.

People tend to drift the way they are looking. If they see flashing lights, I guarantee they will want to see what's going on. There's a reason we block traffic with one or two large fire apparatus. On your first MVA, watch the drivers. I'm willing to bet close to 100% of the drivers will not be looking at the road.

If it's a fender bender, odds are they are fine and do not need your assistance. Besides, what assistance could you offer? Stop them from walking around and hold c-spine? /sarcasm

And if it is a major accident, there's still almost nothing you're going to be good for.

I've made too many MV-Peds that occurred from friendly motorists stopping to see if somebody needs help. One cop dead, one cop now missing his left leg (both of these with flashy lights), several DOA civilians, and many trauma alerts.

Do yourself a favor and don't stop for an accident, where the odds of you being of any help at all are slim to none.

"Do yourself a favor and don't stop for an accident, where the odds of you being of any help at all are slim to none. "
i would have to disagree with that. people are always very greatful to have someone help out. i ask if they feel pain anywhere etc. and wait there until the medics and police arive. 100% of the time so far people have appreciated it. since 99% of other drivers couldnt be bothered. and in terms of the accident and people being distracted, i know i said more alert but it was a poor choice of words. what i was trying to say was, when you see a police giving someone a ticket its the law in a lot of places to move over but its also common courtesy. when i see toe trucks with there lights on on the side of the road i see people move over as well. i think its almost an instinctual thing to move over for most drivers when they see the lights. so when there is the cars from the accident sitting there and my car doesnt have lights on it, people dont really move over and the accident victims are more in harms way. so as a said before, i could be wrong, but based on what i have seen over the years, cars with lights on the side of the road generally make it a safer environment for the victims standing in the area if that makes sense.