Grayson's Book

Blood

Forum Crew Member
I've read on here that a lot of people like Kelly Grayson's book so I went on Amazon to get one and I don't know which one to buy.

There is one called "En Route A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between"
and another called "A Paramedic's Story: Life, Death, and Everything in Between".

The only difference I see is one is more than $10 cheaper. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I've read on here that a lot of people like Kelly Grayson's book so I went on Amazon to get one and I don't know which one to buy.

There is one called "En Route A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between"
and another called "A Paramedic's Story: Life, Death, and Everything in Between".

The only difference I see is one is more than $10 cheaper. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?

They are the same book. Kelly explained it to me once, but I can't remember the exact details. Hold, I will ask him to pop in and explain it. I just sent him a message, he should pop in before the night's over, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Blood

Blood

Forum Crew Member
They are the same book. Kelly explained it to me once, but I can't remember the exact details. Hold, I will ask him to pop in and explain it.

Thank you :D

Anjel

Forum Angel
I have the paramedic story one.

I love it. Causes me to laugh at work at very inappropriate times lol

I bought mine from barnes and noble.

Almost finished. Got like 50 pgs left.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Same book, different publishers. The newer one by Kaplan had a couple chapters cut out if I remember right.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you :D

He said, "Nope. Paramedic's Story is just the paperback version.
Kaplan decided to change the title back to something close to the original when they released the paperback. Don't ask me why."

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member
Paramedic's Story was in the medical section (?) of Barnes and Noble. Bought it and proceeded to laugh my *** off. Some great stories. Highly recommended.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Yup, great book, definitely makes me laugh half of the time, the other half it makes me truly think about what it means to be a healthcare provider. I highly recommend it!

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
Get "En Route...", it's the original and has several stories that the Kaplan version doesn't. Some material was cut by Kaplan to reduce the risk of litigation from people.

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Arrived in the mail yesterday. Am 3/4 through the book.

Wonderful read.

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Don't mean to change the topic but are there any other books around that are similar to Grayson's book?

I'm loving this type of book. I've mail ordered Population 845 :)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Peter Canning's books are great. He's on amazon. Population 485 is different, but still great.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
There are some good ones about MD's outside the hospital setting.

Google these titles:

"M*A*S*H by Hooker (fiction incorporating lessons learned and anecdotes).

"On Call In Hell" by Jaddick

"The Dressing Station" by Jonathan Kaplan

Ambulance_Driver

Forum Crew Member
Actually, the original book was entitled "Life, Death and Everything In Between," a title suggested by none other than Too Old To Work.

It was published by Emergency Publishers in November 2005, and is currently out of print, although they might still have a few copies in the warehouse.

www.emsbooks.com (Just do a search under my name)

A Kaplan editor read my blog a few years back, and offered me a publishing contract. When I told him I already had a book in print, they offered to republish it under their label.

Kaplan changed the title to "En Route: A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death and Everything In Between," deleted about a dozen chapters (over my objections), added a final chapter from my blog, and released it in hardcover.

When they released it in paperback a year later, they changed the title AGAIN, to "A Paramedic's Story: Life, Death and Everything In Between."

The only difference between "A Paramedic's Story" and "En Route" is the dedication and preface at the front of the book. Otherwise they are identical books.

I know it's confusing, and it bugs the hell out of me, too. I'll never understand the decisions of the marketing weenies, I just wrote the damned thing.

The MOST complete version of the book, and the one published as I originally intended it, is the out-of-print version published by Emergency Publishers. If you can find an old copy of that used on Amazon or at emsbooks.com. you'd probably like it best.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Just finished the book.

Cried during the last chapter. Scared the hell out of my partner when he woke up and saw tears in my eyes lol

I'm gonna look for the original version tonight.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Too bad it isn't available on the Kindle.

I have it on the iPad, I dont see why it wouldn't be on the kindle. Kaplan actually had a recent week where you could get many of their books for iPad free of charge. I got En Route among others.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I have it on the iPad, I dont see why it wouldn't be on the kindle. Kaplan actually had a recent week where you could get many of their books for iPad free of charge. I got En Route among others.

Not available through amazon at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambulance_Driver

Forum Crew Member
Grayson's Book - soon available on Kindle

It's available on most of the e-reader formats, and was available in Kindle format for a time.

Amazon likes to strong arm the various publishers, and Kaplan balked at some of their terms, and pulled the Kindle version pending negotiations with Amazon. My guy at Kaplan tells me those negotiations are near agreement, and that a Kindle version should be available again soon.