Gotta get good press...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Someone is working their media magic!@

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
wow 90 minutes from chest pain to cath lab.

FT Job is 85 miles to a hospital with invasive Cath Lab; PT job is 125 miles. And we have quite a few days when it is too windy to fly the patients. Also at PT job it can take up to 45 minutes to get a helicopter to meet us (and I don't wait, I meet in route)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
wow 90 minutes from chest pain to cath lab.

FT Job is 85 miles to a hospital with invasive Cath Lab; PT job is 125 miles. And we have quite a few days when it is too windy to fly the patients. Also at PT job it can take up to 45 minutes to get a helicopter to meet us (and I don't wait, I meet in route)

I've never known what those kind of times are like. My critical shootings for example usually take 23 minutes from start to finish...

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
PT job, closest hospital (which is 15 bed ED) is 105 miles; Level II and I's are all 122-128 mile range.

A couple of Christmas's ago it took a crew 5.5 hours to get an active MI into a Level I for cardiac Cath, due to heavy snow and ice, and drifting snow: the fastest they got going was 35 mph and that was only for a few miles. They actually ended up with a State snowplow running in front of them for the last 25 miles. Ate on the way back. 13 hours round trip.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Wearing sunglasses during an interview? Not cool, quite the opposite and very unprofessional, but otherwise it was a good story.

I wasn’t going to say anything... but the sunglasses were a bit off.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Wearing sunglasses during an interview? Not cool, quite the opposite and very unprofessional, but otherwise it was a good story.
The anchor actually asked us to as it was so bright outside we appeared to be in pain and that's how he wished to shoot it. I was always told not to and was surprised.

Thanks for the tip, I'll work on my professionalism? I think part of being a professional is working to tell EMS's unique story and to get our message out there as we are often out of the public eye. Would it have been nice to have a more polished piece? Absolutely and lesson learned here. But calling our staff's professionalism into question this over such a thing is a bit of an overstep.

Last edited:

photog

Forum Probie
The anchor actually asked us to as it was so bright outside we appeared to be in pain and that's how he wished to shoot it. I was always told not to and was surprised.

Having worked in the TV-industry for over 18 years (including filming propably over 1000 interviews) I can assure you that there are always other options than sunglasses. The film crew could have changed the interview location or camera angle. One could also always turn their back towards the sun. Among other options.

I also find it odd that the news anchor is calling the shots and angles. That should be the photographers’ or D.O.P.:s responsibility.

But calling our staff's professionalism into question this over such a thing is a bit of an overstep.

My intention was not to criticize your team´s professionalism as EMT’s / paramedics. I’m sure your patient care and medical skills are of high level. I was just trying to comment on the signal that sunglasses might send to the general public. English is not my native language, so I apologize for any unintended nyances in my text / vocabulary.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Having worked in the TV-industry for over 18 years (including filming propably over 1000 interviews) I can assure you that there are always other options than sunglasses. The film crew could have changed the interview location or camera angle. One could also always turn their back towards the sun. Among other options.

I also find it odd that the news anchor is calling the shots and angles. That should be the photographers’ or D.O.P.:s responsibility.

My intention was not to criticize your team´s professionalism as EMT’s / paramedics. I’m sure your patient care and medical skills are of high level. I was just trying to comment on the signal that sunglasses might send to the general public. English is not my native language, so I apologize for any unintended nyances in my text / vocabulary.
Fair enough, I can appreciate that. No photographer attended this, most of the story was actually shot with a GoPro.