Good place to buy EMS gear?

word2yamutha

Forum Crew Member
Got into medic school and what not, but I dont have any ems pants or boots. I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to get them during EMT class so I held off, but now would like opinions of what you guys suggest for a medic student. I already have a stethoscope.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
If you are working/voulenteering for a company they probably all get their stuff from the same store so they could look the same. Ask around and see what stores they recomend, or you can order online.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

audreyj

Forum Probie
It's really hard to suggest pants b/c everyone has their preferences and what someone else may like, you may not. I personally like having cargo type pockets but I know a lot of other people don't.

As for boots, I love my easy off station boots by thorougood (sp?). I got them for about $40 less than retail on Amazon. I really hate how high some EMS boots come and I love being able to slip my feet out of them without having to unlace a bunch of hooks and eyes. And believe it or not I've had laces get snagged on the cot. Also, with those you don't have to worry about them coming untied!

medic417

The Truth Provider

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Make sure you get a pair of boots with a zipper. Or purchase a zipper that you can lace in. It's nice to be able to kick your boots off at station/when you're napping in the rig. It also helps when you get a call in the middle of the night, you save a lot of time (not) lacing up your boots.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
any certain brands?

I don't have a brand preference. What I prefer are pants with a certain kind of pocket. I just need some good places to put pens, 1 large pocket to put my steth in, a couple of cloth loops (not sure of the name for them) that can hold my scissors, and back pockets. I cannot stand putting my wallet in any pocket under than my back pocket. Sometimes, I wear my EMS Pants with an Aviator scrub top when I work the unit (http://www.aviatorscrubs.com/), and the pants stand up to practically anything.

adamjh3

walmart has it all

Except boots. Don't waste your money on wal-mart boots. Seriously. You're going to be spending 12 hours a day in them, you want them to be comfortable.

Aside from that, their boots fall apart. Quickly. I speak from experience. The only thing their boots are good for is a doorstop.

Sassafras

Forum Captain

Jinkx

Forum Probie
Except boots. Don't waste your money on wal-mart boots. Seriously. You're going to be spending 12 hours a day in them, you want them to be comfortable.

Aside from that, their boots fall apart. Quickly. I speak from experience. The only thing their boots are good for is a doorstop.

Dont skimp on boots!!!!!! I wear swat and still only pay 50 for them. I did blow out a pair during Hurricane Ike and had to get something and all that was available were Brazos. They look similar, and cost almost as much, but they wont last.

And funny one of them is currently being used as a door stop.

adamjh3

I've never seen EMS pants at walmart. Enlighten me.

Not the BDU style, no. But you can get pants, a pair of Navy blue ****ies is what I wear (when my issued pants are dirty and I don't have time for laundry). They're sturdy, comfortable. Sometimes they don't breathe very well, but that's alright.

OP
OP
W

word2yamutha

Forum Crew Member
During emt clinicals I just wore navy blue ****y pants which worked fine. I was mostly worried about footwear. Just wanted something comfortable and durable. I have never had the ems cargo pants, just seems like too many pockets. Ill prob try both types of pants

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Follow your company uniform rules. Often they supply them.

Oh, and ...not to be trollish, but nice nickname.B)

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
I don't know what kind of paramedic school you're going to. All the medic schools in Southern cali provide you a uniform that you pay for, just need to worry about boots and a belt.

clibb

Forum Captain
I got a pair of 511 EMS pants and I love them! I love the knee padding!

I'm looking at new boots now. I have very wide feet. I tried a pair of Bates today with the side zip. They were too big but the place I was at are going to bring in some boots for me to try on Friday. I also tried a pair of Converse boots there and I loved them! They got really warm though after a while. On Thursday, I'm going to a place that has 511 boots and those I've only heard good stuff about. A little bit more $$, but since my feet are very sensitive, I need the perfect boot for me.

Anyone have the 511? What you think of them?