God I am such a wanker/super noobie.

UGA_Medic8714

Forum Probie
Not to be an ***... but looking up things is fine, but shouldn't you know more than your lookng up?

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Nothing wrong with going back and taking a look to make sure. Go into your local ER you will find all sorts of guides there. They are there for doctors and nurses to use when they want to make sure that their thoughts are right. So,how can it be bad for a medic to carry a field guide?

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Im just an EMT-B student, but in the Marine Corps, having 'knowledge books' on hand that you were familiar with was considered a good thing. Actually reading them was even better. Being unable to do anything with out them was a bad thing tho.

UGA_Medic8714

Forum Probie
Nothing wrong with going back and taking a look to make sure. Go into your local ER you will find all sorts of guides there. They are there for doctors and nurses to use when they want to make sure that their thoughts are right. So,how can it be bad for a medic to carry a field guide?

No one said you couldn't carry a field guy and if you're implying that I said that, you are dead wrong. I've never been into the local ER so I'll be sure to go in and check that out. lol. Carrying 5-6 things on you is a little much. Come on.

You don't see a doctor walk in to a patient's room with a copy of the latest NEJM (Journal of Med) or his A&P book from college.

I carry a (1) ALS field guide, but to carry a guide or cheat sheet in every pocket... please. I don't mind be the dark horse here... can't be swayed.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Im just an EMT-B student, but in the Marine Corps, having 'knowledge books' on hand that you were familiar with was considered a good thing. Actually reading them was even better. Being unable to do anything with out them was a bad thing tho.

Or getting caught by a DI without having one... even worse.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
No one said you couldn't carry a field guy and if you're implying that I said that, you are dead wrong. I've never been into the local ER so I'll be sure to go in and check that out. lol. Carrying 5-6 things on you is a little much. Come on.

You don't see a doctor walk in to a patient's room with a copy of the latest NEJM (Journal of Med) or his A&P book from college.

I carry a (1) ALS field guide, but to carry a guide or cheat sheet in every pocket... please. I don't mind be the dark horse here... can't be swayed.

They don't WALK into a room holding it, for obvious reasons, but trust me, they go and consult those things OUTSIDE the room a lot. The nursing desk in our ER has a stack of those "Bugs and drugs" type of books that our physician refers to quite frequently. When you look at the amount of information a physician must deal with, you realize that it's impossible to do every single thing without ever referring to a guide. Pharmo alone - there are literally thousands of drugs, each with a handful of doses, contraindications, and possible drug interactions. Same with rare procedures or obscure tests.

trevor1189

Forum Captain

emtfarva

Forum Captain
See, I don't need the paper version of the field guides I have them On my Blackberry. As for the meds, I have Epocrates. And if that fails me I still have the mobile web.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I had the one that was 24.99 but I had to reset my phone and I lost the pin number. but it was ok. I can't afford the Prepid one 'cause I work in ems, but maybe one day.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have epocrates on my iPhone... I don't see me digging out my $300 phone during a trauma call in the back of a truck, and somehow using my hands with or without gloves to use it... but hey, I have it!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
But flip books don't require batteries or a signal from a cell tower. :p

emtfarva

Forum Captain