God I am such a wanker/super noobie.

para82frame

Forum Probie
:blush:I bought an ALS pocket field guide so I can know what my paramedic partner is saying and doing.:p

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Naw.......

Bless your heart, that is not being a whacker, that is just wanting to learn more!! Welcome to the tribe! :):):)

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
:blush:I bought an ALS pocket field guide so I can know what my paramedic partner is saying and doing.:p

To be honest, I use the back part of it where it lists out the prescription meds and what they're for more than anything else in that guide. They're handy at times.

Scout

Para-Noid
me hopes you forgot the H :ph34r:

something to read is never a bad thing. I'm sure you will pull something usefull out of it

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
theres nothign wrong with having a field guide.

theres nothing wrong with having a field guide for the level above you, provided that you dont use it as justification to practice outside your scope.

if, after a call, you research the pathophysiology of the patients issue, all you're doing is increasing your knowledge base. nobody will ever fault you for wanting to know more of the why behind your job.

but you have to keep it in reason. dont be one of those guys that memorizes a few pages of text and then proceedes to try to "talk the talk" as it were.

field guides can be beneficial for that reason. when they shouldnt be used is in the middle of a call. you really need to know your protocols and algorithms cold before getting into a situation. that being said, if you're in the back of the bus with a patient circling the drain, if you're well and truly out of ideas, theres nothing wrong with checking your cheat sheet to make sure you dint miss anything. calling olmc is a better move and should be done first, but a punt is a punt. in my area, it takes roughly 60sec to get the doc on the radio. you could do both at the same time.

N.B. i just said it, but some things are worth repeating ad nauseum. nothing, and i repeat nothing, should replace knowledge and intimate understanding of your protocols and algorithms.

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
You could have done much worse... You could have bought 5 pairs of scissors and other crap for your pants...

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
You could have done much worse... You could have bought 5 pairs of scissors and other crap for your pants...

as long as you only wear one pair at a time, there nothing wrong with variety....

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
as long as you only wear one pair at a time, there nothing wrong with variety....

No, no, no, you need two: Trauma and Bandage. :D And don't forget the Kelley clamps/forceps.

(And yes, I've just described myself! :ph34r: )

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
last i checked, trauma shears cut bandages just fine.

and i know we've been down this road before, but there is no good reason for a kelly clamp prehospital.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
at the moment, i might be able to dig a up one pair, but no promises.

but a few years ago, yeah i had six or seven pairs. they're cheap enough and i like to mix it up. but i only wore one pair at a time....

sabbymedic

Forum Crew Member
Never hurts to know what your Medic partner is talking about it helps him or her with their job. Plus the more you read and learn the better your assesments get in my opinion.

Sasha

Forum Chief

and i know we've been down this road before, but there is no good reason for a kelly clamp prehospital.

But they sure look cool in your pants! :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
at the moment, i might be able to dig a up one pair, but no promises.

but a few years ago, yeah i had six or seven pairs. they're cheap enough and i like to mix it up. but i only wore one pair at a time....

I like mine to match my pen light, which I change on a regular basis! Must coordinate dontcha know.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

I disagree. Just the other day, after washing my hands after patient contact, I noticed I had a nose hair protruding from my right nostril. I didn't have any tweezers with me, and both shears were too large to insert into my nasal cavity. But with the kelly clamp, I was able to get a good grip on it, and yank. :D

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

WiFi_Cowgirl

Forum Crew Member
I carry these in my work coat; Emergencia, Emergency Translation Manual; Rapid Rescue Spanish; Rapid ACLS; EMS Basic Field Guide and EMS ALS Field Guide. The more things you can look up, the better, in my opinion. I also carry a small protocol booket and a write in the rain pad, because you can clean them with alcohol pads and reuse it.