Goatee and Ambulance service Interview

Scoobydooz

Forum Probie
This question may be something you look down upon and call me stupid for even asking this question.

I've been with the fire service for 6 years and have had a clean shaven face because of the fire service. My wife got a job in a bigger city, so we are moving there soon. I have a interview coming up and I have a Goatee, it's nicely trimmed and doesn't make me look like a bum. In your guys Ambulance company's do they frown on interviews were the Person has a goatee.

I feel the Goatee actually makes me look stronger, and older. I'll tell you when I worked in the Engineering field, if you didn't have a facial hair that was looked down upon. Because I'm strictly applying for an ambulance position I feel I could get away with a Goatee.

Stay or Go?

OP
OP
S

Scoobydooz

Forum Probie
PS : Sorry for not giving details where I'm applying. I'm very stingy about giving away details online when I don't have a job. Wouldn't want the person reading this that was interviewing me.

medic417

The Truth Provider
If in doubt shave it off. Looks more professional to be clean shaven. Then once hired if policy allows it you should be able to grow it back in a week.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Several of my co-workers have well trimmed goatees, so I think s long as it doesn't look messy or satanic you should be good.

Of course, you can always chop it off to be safe and it will come back in a few weeks.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
As long as your neatly trimmed it shouldn't be an issue at the interview, however if you were to work for my agency you would be required to shave prior to start of work. Only mustaches are allowed, each Officer is issued a Millenium mask and a SCBA mask and are trained to administer care in the warm zone pre-decon. We are moving to a Haz-Tac agency

medic417

The Truth Provider
Unless you know for sure it is allowed I would not show up for an interview with a goatee. You will feel stupid and realize you wasted your time showing up for the interview if you walk in and everyone is clean shaven. Again it takes a week to grow back that little patch of hair.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
If the interviewing manager/employee doesn't have the decency to inform the applicant that the goatee will have to go if they are to be employed, then is sounds like he's done a pretty good test to determine if it's a decent work environment. I wouldn't feel stupid in the slightest about it.

intellectualfish

Forum Crew Member
Definitely go clean-shaven. It's not worth jeopardizing a potential job over. Also, a clean shave and nice haircut will make you look more professional to a prospective employer than any goatee ever will. I used to rock a full-on lumberjack beard until I started in EMS. I miss it, but it's a small sacrifice to make for a career I enjoy.

medic417

The Truth Provider
If the interviewing manager/employee doesn't have the decency to inform the applicant that the goatee will have to go if they are to be employed, then is sounds like he's done a pretty good test to determine if it's a decent work environment. I wouldn't feel stupid in the slightest about it.

Why give an employer any reason to look at you negatively?

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Because neatly trimmed facial hair is not a negative. If they need you bare-faced for the job they can specify that during the interview. Not getting hired over something like that is a pretty good sign they are going to be pulling lots and lots of other BS during your employment. The interview goes both ways, take the opportunity to find out if THEY are going to be good employers.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Because neatly trimmed facial hair is not a negative. If they need you bare-faced for the job they can specify that during the interview. Not getting hired over something like that is a pretty good sign they are going to be pulling lots and lots of other BS during your employment. The interview goes both ways, take the opportunity to find out if THEY are going to be good employers.

Must be nice to be entitled to a job where you are. Many places there is lots of competition as the market is flooded with emts. If myself as the employer can choose between equally qualified candidates and the only thing different is one showed enough respect for me and my company by coming clean cut and the other came with a patch on his chin. Wonder who I would choose even if facial hair is allowed in my company? Obviously the one that showed respect enough to come clean shaven.

Honestly it never ceases to amaze me how people think that their rights supersede the rights of others especially those that they hope will give them money.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I think this is a question of good and best. It sure as heck won't hurt to go clean shaven. But there is a slight chance that it will hurt to go without a shave.

Traditionally, clean shaven its the way to go for an interview, even if you fully intend to grow it back the next week (providing it is allowed on the job).

Remember, when you go for an interview you are not trying to make a good impression. You are trying to make the best impression. You have zero rights going to an interview. (Well, you know what I mean.) The company does not have to cater to, or accommodate you in the least. But you have to accommodate then. If I was an interviewer, I would be hesitant to recommend someone if I felt the slightest twinge of a feeling of entitlement or a vibe that the interviewee felt the company should accommodate him.

But that's only my $0.02. I'm just a guy that leaves good behind and goes for best whenever possible.

OP
OP
S

Scoobydooz

Forum Probie
I think this is a question of good and best. It sure as heck won't hurt to go clean shaven. But there is a slight chance that it will hurt to go without a shave.

Traditionally, clean shaven its the way to go for an interview, even if you fully intend to grow it back the next week (providing it is allowed on the job).

Remember, when you go for an interview you are not trying to make a good impression. You are trying to make the best impression. You have zero rights going to an interview. (Well, you know what I mean.) The company does not have to cater to, or accommodate you in the least. But you have to accommodate then. If I was an interviewer, I would be hesitant to recommend someone if I felt the slightest twinge of a feeling of entitlement or a vibe that the interviewee felt the company should accommodate him.

But that's only my $0.02. I'm just a guy that leaves good behind and goes for best whenever possible.

Thank you I would call myself someone that always shoots for the best as well. I will shave it tonight. I just know my wife really likes it, so it's really the only reason I considered showing up with it trimmed. I can always just grow it back.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Ah, the obligatory EMS goatee. Glad I outgrew mine.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Must be nice to be entitled to a job where you are. Many places there is lots of competition as the market is flooded with emts. If myself as the employer can choose between equally qualified candidates and the only thing different is one showed enough respect for me and my company by coming clean cut and the other came with a patch on his chin. Wonder who I would choose even if facial hair is allowed in my company? Obviously the one that showed respect enough to come clean shaven.

Honestly it never ceases to amaze me how people think that their rights supersede the rights of others especially those that they hope will give them money.

I don't feel the need to beg others for a job, no. If they don't want to hire a qualified candidate because he has neatly trimmed facial hair which could be removed if necessary, then I don't want to be a part of their passive-aggressive organization. Coming into an interview a raggedy mess is one thing, but a goatee is not that. Makes about as much sense as not hiring a woman because she has a ponytail. If either of those things has to go, that can be discussed during the interview. Or we can make crew-cuts mandatory in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Personally, I do not think clean cut facial hair is unprofessional. I usually have a beard but when I interview I will trim it close so it is more of a thick shadow/stubble but still noticable. If I totally shave I look like I am 18. I have never had a problem during an interview. The only time it was ever brought up was during a volunteer fire department interview they told me I would have to shave off my beard but handlebar mustaches were acceptable (Joking) and I was still offered a position.

If EMCRIT can pull it off when why can't you?

Weingart-Pic.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ah, the obligatory EMS goatee. Glad I outgrew mine.
LOL. Yeah, mine went away about a year ago because of a new facial hair policy at the transport job. I look a little creepy with just a mustache, so it went away.

And I could always pass a fit test with it, so I was happy.

intellectualfish

Forum Crew Member
I don't feel the need to beg others for a job, no. If they don't want to hire a qualified candidate because he has neatly trimmed facial hair which could be removed if necessary, then I don't want to be a part of their passive-aggressive organization. Coming into an interview a raggedy mess is one thing, but a goatee is not that. Makes about as much sense as not hiring a woman because she has a ponytail. If either of those things has to go, that can be discussed during the interview. Or we can make crew-cuts mandatory in EMS.

Axe to grind much?

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
A nice haircut(a week before the interview so it can 'fill out' a bit), suit/tie, and a cleanly shaven face really can't be judged(unless you show up with a trout necktie or something equally as awesome, albeit inappropriate, for an interview) I think that's pretty standard and fail safe as far as appearance goes.

Also, if you're questioning it yourself, doesn't that tell you something?

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Last edited by a moderator: