Getting started in WA state

Along4TheRide

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

I'm currently active duty navy up in WA and I'm trying to get started on the road to becoming a paramedic. I'm married with 2 children and another on the way. I've been riding along with the hospital's EMS for about 4 months now, usually riding from 1000-2200 every saturday. According to all of the medics there, you have basically two options on becoming an EMT-B. Either going to a college or whatever and taking the class, or being sponsored through a fire dept. and taking the course through them. Now I'm a firm believer in being a master of one and not a jack of all trades. I want to learn specifically about medical only and not learn about firefighting and whatever else that goes along with that job. Talking with the manager of the EMS here, he has said that he might sponsor me for the course which would be fantastic...but my question is this. Once I'm done with the course...and the time to get out of the navy comes...how/where can I begin my time working as an EMT...and would I be able to continue working as an EMT while I'm in school to become a paramedic? I've not had much luck finding anything online...and most of the medics that I'm ride along with have all come from different states. I'm hoping to stay in WA. My wife works well as a RN so hopefully I won't have to worry to much on a money issue. I also know that the program is pretty demanding. Do you guys think its possible to be a family man as well as work through the program? Thanks for the advice and insight...

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
To receive your EMT certification from the WA state DOH you will need to show an affiliation with a state licensed EMS agency. This can be in a paid or volunteer capacity but it is a requirement and DOH will not begin to process your application until you can show proof of affiliation. You sound like you may already have your affiliation lined up but you need to be sure before you proceed. Get your affiliation nailed down and verified and we can go from their.

One good places to do some research is firehouse.com,they have a forum for WA state. I'm surprised none of the other WA people have offered up advice maybe bumping your post back to the top will get their attention,I know there are several people up your way. Keep us posted on progress.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I can tell you all you want to know about the rocky road that leads to a paramedic cert in Washington State.

1) You can take an EMT course at many community colleges. The average cost is around $500 bucks. It's a 120 hour/1 quarter class that will prepare you for the NREMT-B test. There are no prerequisite classes. Many programs have so many applicants that they have an entrance exam. Study any advanced first aid book, and you'll be fine.

2) After you complete your course and pass the registry, you will not be granted a state cert unless you are affiliated with an agency. In your case, maybe Whidbey Island EMS will hire you as an EMT. Or you can volunteer with fire, search and rescue or another state DOH sanctioned agency.

3) After at least a year of EMT experience, you can apply to paramedic school. The only options are, TCC in Tacoma, Central in Ellensberg, NCTI in Vancouver or Columbia Basin in the Tri Cities. TCC is notoriously tough to get into, NCTI takes anyone with a pulse and $10,000. Central has just expanded their program to a "Zero to Hero" format, so you can actually start with NO EMS experience and finish as a paramedic in 2 or three years. Most programs will not touch you unless your experience is with a high volume EMS provider and you have several hundred verified patient contacts. So, you'll really need a job with an EMS agency...

4) The Ambulance companies that you can look at are: AMR, Tri Med, Rural/Metro, Northwest, Olympic and of course, Whidbey Island. It's tough getting an EMT job, as most of the community colleges pump out several hundred EMTs every quarter and there's just not enough jobs to go around. However, people always leave the BLS grind, and you might wind up in the right place at the right time.

Is that a good start for you? Let me know if you need more info...

ERMedic

Forum Probie
Not sure about WA but I'd recommend atleast a year or two as an EMT before going to medic school, I waited 2 years. I also want to add it's very tough to work fulltime and go through medic school because of the lectures, internships, clinicals, studying, etc. I only worked 12 to 24 hours a week in medic school doing EMS and studyed most of that time when not on runs and picked the medics brain's with questions. Medic school is a fulltime job in itself.

hagemc

Forum Ride Along
If you want to be in the EMS field in Washington State, you will need to be in the fire department. There are only a few companies, especially on the western side of the mountains, that will hire medics that isn't a fire department. So get used to the idea of being part of a fire department.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you want to be in the EMS field in Washington State, you will need to be in the fire department. There are only a few companies, especially on the western side of the mountains, that will hire medics that isn't a fire department. So get used to the idea of being part of a fire department.

Not true. Many agencies that are not connected to fire hire both EMTs and Medics.

Want a small list?

Rural/Metro. AMR. Ballard Ambulance. Prosser Memorial Hospital EMS. Advanced Life Systems. Skagit County Medic One. King County Medic One. Mason County Medic One. Olympic Ambulance. Northwest Ambulance. Whidbey General Hospital. Island County Hospital. Cascade Medical Center. Klickitat Valley Health Ambulance Service.

That's just a few off the top of my head. I could go on and on.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't waste time working as a basic before starting Paramedic. It takes very little time to learn the basic skills so you can do that while you are in a Paramedic program. If your state requires you to wait consider jumping state lines and get your education.

OP
OP
A

Along4TheRide

Forum Ride Along
Jumping state lines? Aren't there different requirements for each state? I heard the WA state requires a 2 year degree rather a diploma or certificate

OP
OP
A

Along4TheRide

Forum Ride Along
I can tell you all you want to know about the rocky road that leads to a paramedic cert in Washington State...

That helps very much thank you. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that the face time with Whidbey General EMS will get me a foot in the door when I'm finished with the EMT course. One more question...if I complete the EMT course say April of 2011, go on deployment with the navy from June 2011 to December 2011 and then come back hoping to find a job as an EMT around early 2012...how will that work out? Is there any kind of time limit on starting work as an EMT before you have to retake the course?

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
3) Central has just expanded their program to a "Zero to Hero" format, so you can actually start with NO EMS experience and finish as a paramedic in 2 or three years.
CWU's program is the standard 3 quarter program, you will be done Sept-June like TCC's program. I agree that they are taking people with little experience, which I strongly disagree with. Makes the rest of us that came through the program look like idiots sometimes.

Anyways...I gotta disagree with Medic417. I think having BLS experience should be required, as it makes you a more competent medic IMO. Also it does wonders for your comfort levels in dealing with patients. I've seen students with little BLS experience come through programs and flounder like no other due to lack of street time.

WA does not have any kind of degree requirement, I believe OR requires an Associate's degree as a minimum, and there is a time factor to consider in your situation partner, just can't remember off the top of my head, you'll have to check out the WA DoH website, but I believe its one year from completion of program.