Geriatric fall from standing

nymedic9999

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Is a geriatric fall from standing, in which a patient does not strike their head, enough mechanism to cause a spinal injury?

Is a geriatric fall from standing, in which a patient does not strike their head, enough mechanism to cause a spinal injury?
It could however there's other things in play that can also make a big difference as to whether the patient suffers a spinal injury as a result of a ground level fall from standing. I tend to look at MOI as a pointer as to where injury may occur, and my exam to confirm/refute the presence of actual injury. Why? Any injury will have a MOI. Not all potential MOI will result in actual injury.

So, it's a maybe. Do not rely on MOI to guide your treatment...

Yes. However, as akulahawk said already, let your assessment guide your treatment, not MOI.

Simply put, yes it is enough mechanism to potentially cause a spinal injury. Hell, a patient can fracture something with a lot less effort than falling.

HOWEVER, a fall from standing is not an automatic spinal injury. How did they fall? What do they look like now? Do they have any neuro deficits? Take the MOI into account, but don't base it strictly off of that. Create a clinical picture, including assessment, interview findings, MOI, and past history.

Also, keep in mind that hitting your head doesn't necessarily cause spinal injury, nor does not hitting it prevent one! If that makes sense?

I believe the question being asked is what interventions should be performed in the even of a geriatric fall from standing.

ie, should they be boarded and collared, or simply lifted to the cot and transported in a position of comfort to the ER for an evaluation.

you can have injuries from minor MOIs. hence one of the reasons why MOIs are used to look for where to find injuries, but not to judge the severity of injuries.

Back