Funniest Story Your Instructor Ever Told You

sbemt4596

Forum Probie
Another one from the same instructor, we'll call him Fred*. This also happened some 20-odd years ago. He was partnered with our lead instructor, Bob*, that day when they were called to a residence for an unknown medical. No one answered but they could hear a commotion in the backyard so they went to check it out. Fred was a little ahead and as they rounded the corner of the house Fred's head was met by a 2-by-4. Fred was out cold but the tape recorder in his pocket was still recording. So Bob was left alone to tend to the original pt and now also Fred. The recording went as follows:

To Fred "Fred, Fred you ok man?"
To original pt. "Ma'am my name is Bob I'm with the Mom-n-Pop Squad. What seems to be the problem?"
To Fred "Fred, Fred you ok? Fred wake-up man?"
To original pt "Yes Ma'am, I am listening to you."
To Fred "Fred you ok? You ok Fred?"

This went on until another unit arrived.

He told us this story to let us know that in the event that your partner goes down, s/he takes priority over the original pt and if you are alone than it's perfectly ok to just focus on your partner!

* names have been changed to protect the innocent ... well actually only me really!

ptemt

Forum Crew Member
I had a medic school instructer relate a story of running on a FF drunk. The medic would place a NC on the pt, hand him the other end of the cannula, and instruct him to blow into it.

Minnick27

Forum Crew Member
Not an instructor story, but one from my EMT class. We were all sharing war stories and this one woman who was an EMT and was taking the class as a refresher was telling us about this unruly pt she had a year or so before. She's going into great detail about everything this gentleman is yelling. Knowing her local I raised my hand and asked if the pt had also yelled this and that and was giving examples. She said yeah, he was saying everything I said. Someone commented I must have had a similar pt. I said one more question, was this at such and such an address? And she said yes. It turns out it wast grandfather she had taken. Had he still been alive he wouldve been very proud

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
We were doing our trauma module during my basic class and my instructor relayed a call that I had been on with him during my ride along: We were coming along back on the freeway at a pretty decent pace when the rig shook and I heard a crotch rocket pass us. The guy had to have been doing 100 well he is trying to shift and his boot is stuck so he reaches down to try and shift again and just eats it...wouldn't have been funny except that when we caught up with him and started to backboard him and such he looks up at my preceptor and says....I thought I already divorced you.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I remember a story one of my instructors told me during training from back when he was working as a dispatcher. He was just getting off his shift when he heard across the room, and ambulance request an additional bus. He ran to the mic and his immediate response was, is that your local school district or NJ transit. Apparently it was a pet peeve of his that an ambulance is called a bus every once in a while since a bus can be used as an actual resource in MCIs.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
My instructor and his partner were driving back to HQ when they observed a motorist enjoying a refreshing adult beverage while operating a motor vehicle. They radioed it in to Comms, who said a Radio car was 5 minutes out running code 3. The guy started swerving so they hit the lights, got on the loud speaker and pulled the guy over. They conducted a FELONY stop with the ambulance, and by the time PD arrived they had the driver out, doing a field sobriety test, with his LR&I on hand. cops thought it was hilarious, EMS supervisor didnt

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
My instructor and his partner were driving back to HQ when they observed a motorist enjoying a refreshing adult beverage while operating a motor vehicle. They radioed it in to Comms, who said a Radio car was 5 minutes out running code 3. The guy started swerving so they hit the lights, got on the loud speaker and pulled the guy over. They conducted a FELONY stop with the ambulance, and by the time PD arrived they had the driver out, doing a field sobriety test, with his LR&I on hand. cops thought it was hilarious, EMS supervisor didnt

Simple fix here. Call it in to dispatch, get a cop to come out, and follow them until the traffic stop is made. You will be there in case they do get into an accident, but aren't putting yourself in extreme danger or going outside your scope.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Simple fix here. Call it in to dispatch, get a cop to come out, and follow them until the traffic stop is made. You will be there in case they do get into an accident, but aren't putting yourself in extreme danger or going outside your scope.

oh, no doubt they were stupid, but it was the meaner leaner days of EMS and Law Enforcement, so no one really cared or thought twice about it

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member

that is an option, but i think what the crew did was slightly admirable since the guy was beginning to swerve. had they not pulled him over, the guy could have very well killed someone.