Full time college student and EMT/EMT-P School

Bubba12253

Forum Crew Member
Hey, I was wondering how possible it sounds to take 3-4 classes, about 12 credit hours, during my senior year of college (graduating with a degree in Health Sciences Pre-med) and to make the commitment to a both a EMT and paramedic certification?

The EMT-B certification is 10 wks and paramedic certification is 10 mouths. I'd like to graduate and start working as a paramedic to gain HCE for at least 2-4 years before applying to PA school. I love emergency medicine!!

Thanks for your feedback ahead of time :D

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
It will be a breeze with your health science background. Emt program will be a joke, and the medic program will be easier then your anatomy if it was a 5 unit w/ lab. The only issue will be time commitment once you go into your clinicals depending on how you medic program is structured.

OP
OP
B

Bubba12253

Forum Crew Member
I was assuming the time commitment would be the biggest factor overall. And yes, I've taken the anatomy and physiology w/lab with outstanding teachers.

Due to my degree, I feel like it has rounded me in the health sciences field way more and I was hoping that would mean I wouldn't feel as stress as most feel when they're in medic school. Thanks for the reply back! I'm taking a tour of the facility on Wednesday to meet the instructors before I sign up and start in May!! SO EXCITED!!!!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Excellent!! Have fun in class!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So I have to ask. Why not take the MCAT and apply to med school rather than PA school? Nothing wrong with PA whatsoever just more me being curious than anything, if you don't want to answer don't feel obligated!

So it's a bit different but I've worked 30-48 hrs/week all the way through medic school and haven't had a problem. It's all about time management which I'm sure you are good at seeing as you are almost finished with a BSHS. With your science background medic school will be easy. When it comes to EMT don't let the class frustrate you, it's very simplified and I'm sure with your background things in the class have the potential to irritate you.

OP
OP
B

Bubba12253

Forum Crew Member
In the beginning I wanted to go to medical school to become a surgeon, I worked for 6 surgeons for 2 years and I have shadowed them as well, but as soon as I got a taste of undergrad as a pre-medical student I felt I had little time for other things in my life. I have a passion for medicine and I LOVE people, more then the average person by far. I feel that PA school will give me what I need in life to feel successful and keep my passion alive for medicine, as well as other things, which is the real kicker!

Most doctors don't have time for other activities due to their work load, this is what I have noticed from shadowing and also having a doctor in the family. I feel that a PA is the best of both worlds, especially in terms of me being able to open up my own practice (laws and regulations differ per state). Most states require that you have a MD/DO review charts 'x' times per year. In addition, PA's can change their field of practice because they have to be under the doctors supervision according to various malpractice laws. Emergency medicine is amazing, however I'm not gonna want to do it forever so I have move around.

Anyone who is looking on moving up the totem pole, especially after they put in their time, should look into PA school. More money and probably better hours as well. Most PA schools will easily scoop up Paramedics with several years of experience provided that they have the pre-medical classes (some require the GRE). It's never to late, most PA students are in their late 20's and early 30's.

EMS166

Forum Probie
Good for you! You seem to have alot going for you... I dont think you would have an issue on the education parts esp since you have A&P. Like everyone says though clincals in the Parmedic programs can be grueling... 500+ hours in less then a year (soon top of a full time college load it might be alot) But also, lots of medic prgrams require 2+ yrs experience as am EMT before you can apply... so that might be the only problem you would have - Either way best of luck!
Just do you your self a favor and pace things out... Ive been in EMS and ER work for 8+ years and love it, but find if you do too much at one time it will burn you out - Emergency work has a high burn out rate to begin with let alone adding a crazy overwhelming schedule. You sound like the kinda person who will be great in EMS so Id hate to have burn out before you get started! lol Ask around, if your ER n EMS is like where I am there are plenty of MDs, PAs, NPs, RNs, who all have prehosptial backgrounds n find out the paths that they took. Best of luck in all you do!!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya I agree, plus the other clock hours. Your talking over 1300 clock hours and 30-40 college credits smashed into 1 year. Normally you have to finish a 1500+ page Paramedic text book in the first 6 months or so. I guess it depends on your program and each individual learner, I would look further into it if I was you though.

Like everyone says though clincals in the Parmedic programs can be grueling... 500+ hours in less then a year (soon top of a full time college load it might be alot)

bstogner

Forum Probie
I took the an EMT course while taking 18 hours of senior level undergrad classes in biology and it wasn't a problem at all. I ended up with a 3.78 GPA that semester without much work at all. As long as you are not having too much trouble with school as it stands now then I don't think it will be to hard. The Paramedic class might even be feasible, as long as the classes are not during you undergrad class times.

And like someone basically said earlier, the EMT basic class is a joke really.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It is all about time management. I was going to cc full time for my Medic, working on my bs part time all the while working full time. With your background you shouldn't have a problem.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
But also, lots of medic prgrams require 2+ yrs experience as am EMT before you can apply... so that might be the only problem you would have - Either way best of luck!

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Some programs require 6 months to a year but many will take people with no experience. Nearly my entire class has very limited or no experience in EMS.