Fresh out of EMT-B school. Just got offered employment.

Chaos95

Forum Ride Along
Hello guys! First of all I would like to say I am glad I found this forum.

A little about me. I graduated EMT-B back in March. I am NREMT certified as well as licensed in the state of Florida. I just accepted a position as an EMT working with SouthSide Fire/EMS in Georgia and my GA license is in processing.

Now this being my first job in the EMS field, its suffice to say I am nervous as all hell. The only experience I have is through school where I rode 5 shifts with an ALS crew in my county of residence. I have read a few forum posts on here and all with the same "Fake it till you make it" "Learn from your mistakes" etc statements. My concern is patient care. Even after doing 5 months of EMT school, and making NREMT cert I still feel like my assessment skills and knowledge of patient care isn't good enough. Unfortunately I do not feel entirely confident in my skills, and am wondering if this is something that every new EMT faces.

Thank you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Get ready for a busy job.

As I'm sure you've learned, Southside runs EMS for Chatham County. That's the City of Savannah and surrounding towns. It is very busy and most employees last there a year or two at most. When you're ready to go to medic school and move on to another service, drop me a note.

You'll have fun. Lots of GSW and sick people here. You won't be thrown to the wolves. If you're running 911, you'll be with a medic.

OP
OP
Chaos95

Chaos95

Forum Ride Along
Get ready for a busy job.

As I'm sure you've learned, Southside runs EMS for Chatham County. That's the City of Savannah and surrounding towns. It is very busy and most employees last there a year or two at most. When you're ready to go to medic school and move on to another service, drop me a note.

You'll have fun. Lots of GSW and sick people here. You won't be thrown to the wolves. If you're running 911, you'll be with a medic.

Honestly I'm rather excited. I grew up in Savannah, so having the chance to give back is awesome.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
EMS at the EMT level isn't very hard. If you passed the course, chances are excellent that, with minimal precepting, you'll find your sea legs quickly and develop baseline competence without significant delay. Progressing past baseline competence will be entirely up to you and how much time and effort you decide to put in; but getting to that point is not particularly difficult. If your system has the volume and acuity stated here, you'll get up to speed real fast(or you'll break and run away screaming). Show up early, ask questions, pay attention, ask more questions, take notes if you need to, follow up with your preceptor(s) to make sure you're progressing within the organizational guidelines.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Also remember, do what your paramedic/preceptors tell you. the real world isn't like what you were taught in class, your job primarily will be to make their lives easier, especially when on an ALS truck. You'll be a paramedic assistant, so ask them what they want you to do, because many medics have different ideas and opinions about what they want an EMT on their truck to be dong.

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
Just got licensed at the end of March of this year. The key is getting with a company that is going to bring you along and realize you are not going to be running as someone that has been for 20 years. School is good but orientation hasn't even begun yet. You know something but at the same time know nothing.

Get with a good company that is going to assist in you getting to the next level and be supportive of you developing your knowledge and your skills. Show initiative, a level of competence, and resilience to situations, people, etc. It's been crazy since I've started. Learning quick.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
For what it's worth, Southside is a meat grinder. I see their crews all the time and I've not met one person who actually likes working there.

OP
OP
Chaos95

Chaos95

Forum Ride Along
I'll cross that bridge when/if it comes to it. In the mean time, I am happy to finally be in the field as a first responder.