Foreign Paramedic Program

EEEMMMTTT

Forum Crew Member
I was wondering,

There are foreign medical schools that seems to cater to those who are not good enough for US medical schools, or not rich enough or whatever the reason.

These people go there, and get their MD and somehow are able to be doctors here in the USA...

Is there such a thing for Paramedic ?

Perhaps some dirt cheap, online course based in Afghanistan or something...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ems in the us is already the cheapest and easiest "lowest educational standards" as any other first world country.

You will do yourself and your future pts a disservice by trying to "take the easy way" especially when it is already available in your back yard.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Ems in the us is already the cheapest and easiest "lowest educational standards" as any other first world country.

You will do yourself and your future pts a disservice by trying to "take the easy way" especially when it is already available in your back yard.

This....

Paramedic programs are on avg 6k in my area.

I know a lot of European countries require longer times for paramedics to train Someone chime in here I think London is 2 years along with Austrailia being 2 or 3 years min.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This....

Paramedic programs are on avg 6k in my area.

I know a lot of European countries require longer times for paramedics to train Someone chime in here I think London is 2 years along with Austrailia being 2 or 3 years min.

Yeah . Some places you need a bachelors degree and some require 1-2 years as the minimum. In Canada to be an ALS medic it takes 3 years. There are degrees available but it is not yet a requirement.

For the US I have seen programs cost over 10 k and some less than 2 k. It all depends on where you are.

terrible one

Always wandering
Yeah . Some places you need a bachelors degree and some require 1-2 years as the minimum. In Canada to be an ALS medic it takes 3 years. There are degrees available but it is not yet a requirement.

For the US I have seen programs cost over 10 k and some less than 2 k. It all depends on where you are.
Lol .... You can do a paramedic school in the US in way under a year for a couple grand and people still want something 'easier and faster and cheaper'. Gotta love 'Merica!

OP
OP
E

EEEMMMTTT

Forum Crew Member
Wow, I didn't know USA was already low on the paramedic school scale..

is there anything lower? mexico perhaps ?

Im just curious, not actually looking for a school to attend.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Wow, I didn't know USA was already low on the paramedic school scale..

is there anything lower? mexico perhaps ?

Im just curious, not actually looking for a school to attend.

just curious... why are you looking for a cheap/quick/faster ems course in another country?

There are EMT courses you can do in the US in as little as 2-3 weeks.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
just curious... why are you looking for a cheap/quick/faster ems course in another country?

There are EMT courses you can do in the US in as little as 2-3 weeks.

The OP stated he is NOT looking for a course to attend, just curious about the education standards.

RemoteMedicineIreland

Forum Probie
Here in the EU the paramedic training is a two year diploma similar to the AS degree back in the US.

On the continent ambulances are usually manned by nurse equivalents. They have four years of training and have a bachelors degree.

In some of the eastern block countries ambulance attendants do four years of medical school before leaving. All of the rest of the medical students stay on for the final two years to become doctors.

I always crack up when I hear US guys complaining about the 16 weeks of training they have to do to become paramedics.

On a side note, any US NREMT paramedics who come to the EU to gain reciprocity into the paramedic role here often are turned down. Here in Ireland it is extremely difficult to get an Irish registered paramedic. And to top that off, our paramedics cannot cannulate or intubate and are basically EMT-Bs.

Things are definitely different on this side of the pond.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I always crack up when I hear US guys complaining about the 16 weeks of training they have to do to become paramedics.

The short cut medic mills do not make up the majority of paramedic courses in the US.

As you know, there are several private companies in the EU who are keen to adopt a similar zero to hero format - with several months of mainly online study, followed by a couple of fortnights of limited clinical training, in a country other than where you intend to be registered or practicing. Not to mention no guarantee of professional registration or employment at the end of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RemoteMedicineIreland

Forum Probie
Agreed.

There are training providers who offer courses that are too short to be called paramedic.

That is why we affiliate with PERCOM. They have a standard for mixed learning that has been proven. Our PERCOM students do 12-18 months online before coming here to Ireland for two weeks of clinical skills. They then go to the US and do seven weeks of clinical placements before sitting the NREMT paramedic exam.

For our Industry Paramedic students who work in the sandpit or in the oil and gas industry, they follow the same format but they have 8 months online learning before 24 days of classroom training. They then have 400 hours of clinical placements in English speaking locations such as Johannesburg.

Good training makes for good paramedics. Our graduates are working in the industry.

You are correct. Buyer needs to beware and make sure that training providers have a history of graduates getting jobs.