For Paramedic training: A.A or B.S?

daimere

Forum Crew Member
I found a college close to me that does a paramedic program. It is a Bachelor of Science program. Would that take me farther than an AA program or a training center 1-2 year program?

What are your thoughts on the best Paramedic training?

Thank you. Shannon

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

You really need to evaluate your ultimate goals, and plan how to get there. If you want to work the road as a Paramedic, then you really only need the cert. of AA. If you want the security of having a college degree, especially in today's horribly economy, then go for the BS. If you have the money, time, and dedication, go for the BS!

A BS will really be helpful should you want a management position, or if you decide to get a nursing degree.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
we have both options here as well. basically what i was told is that a bachelors degree will get you farther, it's always a good thing to have in your resume. as you move along in your career it can open more opportunities than might otherwise be an option.

having said that i chose the A.A. degree option since i'm getting my bachelors of science in another field. the principle is the same though. as long as you have that four year degree it's good. a couple of my instructors have done the same thing. their actual science degree is something like chemical engineering, etc. both benefit you it just depends on what you want to do in the long term.

hope this helps :)

OP
OP
D

daimere

Forum Crew Member
First, welcome to EMTLife!

You really need to evaluate your ultimate goals, and plan how to get there. If you want to work the road as a Paramedic, then you really only need the cert. of AA. If you want the security of having a college degree, especially in today's horribly economy, then go for the BS. If you have the money, time, and dedication, go for the BS!

A BS will really be helpful should you want a management position, or if you decide to get a nursing degree.

I really don't think there is an AA degree near me or at all in Kentucky. Everytime I google, I get other stuff. :p So, it's either 4 year degree(which my mom always told me, I had to go to college ..so that would be nice) or 1-2 year training at a center.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think you'll find a that having any college degree is a good investment.

OP
OP
D

daimere

Forum Crew Member
I think you'll find a that having any college degree is a good investment.
I agree. Before I found this option, I was going to get a random AA at the community college before becoming paramedic.

Though there are two different BS: a clinical aspect and a science aspect of the bachelor of science. Which seems to be the difference of fire stuffs and a whole lot of science.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Investigate it more. Yes, a degree is much more than one without it, but a degree without meaning does not provide much for longevity. Many forget, one can usually obtain and get a real A.S. (not the same as a AAS) and easily transfer into a 4 yr degree.

Good luck!

R/r 911

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
i was looking at a school in Kentucky and they did offer both an A.A.S and a b.s. in ems this was EKu.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
With a B.S. you can enter medical school I think, if you want to go that route. I think being a optometrist maybe the easiest route. As all you need is your degree and to pass the state board. The post graduate residency programs only last 1 year in that profession. Optometrist just need a 4 year degree, from the optometry school.

OP
OP
D

daimere

Forum Crew Member
With a B.S. you can enter medical school I think, if you want to go that route. I think being a optometrist maybe the easiest route. As all you need is your degree and to pass the state board. The post graduate residency programs only last 1 year in that profession. Optometrist just need a 4 year degree, from the optometry school.

I have no interest in being an optometrist. Right now, I want to be a paramedic.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Well, as for me, you could get the bachelors & medic at the same time. U. of Maryland-Baltimore county's Emergency Health Services degree. It's a 4 year bachelors & paramedic. Best of both worlds in my mind...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Some states now require optometrist to have the minimum of a masters degree (as some do for P.A.'s and Chiropractor). Remember, it is NOT a true "Doctorate" rather a "Physician of Optometry"..as in a Doctorate of Optometry.

R/r 911