Florida to Washington State

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It al depends on what you want. Cost of living, quality of life, EMS agency.

If I were moving again, I'd be looking a lot closer at Texas.

If you do get hired by King County medic one you'll attend another 10 months of paramedic school, learning how to do it the King County way.

And IFT/911 as a private in the Seattle area sucks. Lots of renal roundup and acting as a stretcher fetcher for fire.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It al depends on what you want. Cost of living, quality of life, EMS agency.

If I were moving again, I'd be looking a lot closer at Texas.

Texas does sound like the place to be. But the Carolinas don't suck either.

NomadicMedic

Texas does sound like the place to be. But the Carolinas don't suck either.

Truth. There are some beautiful little mountain towns in NC that look awesome.

Boone_NC_-_King_Street.jpg

I'd also look in Idaho, REMSA was high on my list and there's a certain little Hospital based service in NH that I would love to work for.

The whole Seattle EMS culture is so bad that I couldn't work there again. And running "CCT Lite" calls as a private IFT medic while wishin' and hopin' for that fire job wasn't for me.

If you're stuck there, I guess you just have to make the best of it.

I left.

OP
OP
D

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
I'm trying to move to the West Coast because it will bring me closer to my wife's family, plus I'm dying to leave Florida. I'm miserable here. North Carolina is a nice state. I lived there for a year, years back.

Anybody know about California? Can I work there with a National license..can I challenge their test with a Florida or National license? Falck also has division in California. I'm interested in the Pacific NW or Northern California.
What about Nevada? I have family there..anybody know anything about that state.

Crash Doctor

Forum Ride Along
Do you know of any hospitals in central Fl that have a scholarship program? I am a "old timer" medic getting ready to go after my RN.
Thanks!

NomadicMedic

I'm trying to move to the West Coast because it will bring me closer to my wife's family, plus I'm dying to leave Florida. I'm miserable here. North Carolina is a nice state. I lived there for a year, years back.

Anybody know about California? Can I work there with a National license..can I challenge their test with a Florida or National license? Falck also has division in California. I'm interested in the Pacific NW or Northern California.

What about Nevada? I have family there..anybody know anything about that state.

Reno. REMSA.

Drax

Forum Captain
When DEmedic said there were 300+ trying for fire jobs, he meant the small towns. Seattle had 5800+ sign up for the written, 2900+ From all over the US take it, 2200 or so who are slotted for the first round of interviews, and supposedly 1400-1800 for the second. By the end of it, 250 will make an eligibility list, but only 25 to 50 will be hired.

And you can only join as entry level EMT and must wait 3 years before being able to apply for paramedic, at which point you will have to go through school. Even if you got medic training elsewhere, even within Washington, you will go through school again. Ultimately registration started before October but candidates won't be entering the academy (start getting paid) until tentatively September 2014.

I think Tacoma started their testing mid year last year, and are still waiting to start their PAT (Tacoma's version of CPAT, harder I've heard). They've had trouble being able to fund new fire fighters in recent years from what I've heard so who knows if they will open again in 2014.

I know I don't have much experience in this field but if you're looking for a fire job, seems most other places require you do a written through national testing network or public safety testing. You are a paramedic so I assume it is different, but as far as getting a job with private ambulance companies, the pickings are slim and hospitals here want you to a) have CNA or NA-R prior to hire and b) a year in the ED or other urgent care setting experience of at least one year.

You could try popping up public safety testing and taking a look at their map to see potential areas you might want to work in.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

All very correct. Small departments, like Auburn Washington, may have one opening for a firefighter and receive 1000 applications. It's difficult to get a fire job in Washington, but not impossible. It just takes tenacity. You need to be prepared to wait 5, 6 or 7 years. Many people increase their chances by becoming a paramedic. This, obviously, does not play into the hiring process in King County… However, if you're applying for a paramedic firefighter position in Pierce County or Snohomish County, it will definitely move you further up the list. If you're looking for a fire job, my best advice to you is to start testing immediately. Public Safety testing, National testing and the Bates Consortium all offer testing for different departments. Also, take a CPAT ASAP.

Just a little clarification, only Seattle firefighters must wait three years before applying to become a paramedic. If they are selected, they attend the Harborview paramedic program. Other departments in King County either hire paramedics laterally and then send them to Harborview or they will send current FF/EMTs to Harborview's paramedic program. Nobody works as a paramedic in King County without attending the Harborview paramedic program. That's a hard idea for many to grasp, especially people who been paramedics for many years and apply to a King County department. While I don't necessarily agree with it, it works for them… And it ain't going to change anytime soon.

We discuss the Washington EMS world here frequently. It should be known that it's very different than anywhere else in the country and you need to approach it with an open mind. Comparing EMS to the way things are done on the East Coast is so far beyond apples and oranges... it's like pineapples and mangoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drax

Forum Captain
Just a little clarification, only Seattle firefighters must wait three years before applying to become a paramedic. If they are selected, they attend the Harborview paramedic program. Other departments in King County either hire paramedics laterally and then send them to Harborview or they will send current FF/EMTs to Harborview's paramedic program. Nobody works as a paramedic in King County without attending the Harborview paramedic program. That's a hard idea for many to grasp, especially people who been paramedics for many years and apply to a King County department. While I don't necessarily agree with it, it works for them… And it ain't going to change anytime soon.

Ah yes, this is what I meant, sorry for being unclear. Thanks DEmedic.

OP
OP
D

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
This sound so complicated for something that shouldn't be that complicated. Anybody know about California? Northern California. I could transfer up there if Washington is that much of a mess.