Flight Medic process?

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
Hey so I'm new here.

I just got a job with a local Orange County ambulance company. I'm working on my paramedic school requirements (minimum of 6months-1year in the field). Anyways my ultimate goal is to be a flight medic. Any flight medics out there with advice? Whats the process?

I only know of Mercy Air in California.

Thanks!
Courtney

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I can say that around here in NM the flight medics need to have 3 years minimum, 5 years preffered, of high volume 911 experience. Along with CCT and FP-C.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
All I know about it is that most agency's require you have at least 3-5 years experience in a busy ALS system as a Paramedic first. I am sure some of the other guys can provide more info, goodluck!

OP
OP
emtCourt31

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
I was expecting the 5 year experience. I heard you can enter the military and they will train you. But I'm super unfamiliar with that whole thing.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There are a few members here with current or past flight experience, so I will leave the specifics to them. Essentially, in order to be considered for a flight position, you need several years in a busy 911 system, as a medic, and often significant ER/ICU clinical time.

Because many CCT flight systems dont just do scene (911) responses, but also CCT IFT (ICU to ICU), the staff are more likely to be an RN and RRT, with one of them being an medic as an aside.
A military/civilian flight nurse has an excellent blog describing her training and experiences (but unfortunately hasn't posted in some time). She still has some good How Tos,
http://crzegrl.net/index.php/becoming-a-flight-nurse-2/
check out the flight program in your area for details. The program in my area, Boston MedFlight. To see their pre-employment requirements, see
http://www.bostonmedflight.org/employ.html

Good Luck!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm not a flight medic... but one flight provider up here in the Sacramento area has this as their standard: Follow the link for other descriptions as well... http://www.reachair.com/careers/clinical.html

Candidates for Flight Paramedic should be prepared for the position by meeting the following criteria:
• Eligibility for or current licensure as a paramedic in State where employed.
Minimum three years pre-hospital EMS experience (in a busy 911 system).
• Pediatric/Neonatal experience desirable.
• Basic computer skills (word processing, database).
• Current BCLS, ACLS, PALS, and NRP Provider.
• Must maintain a duty weight of less than 205 lbs. (body weight plus uniform and equipment).

When these positions do open up, expect that there's going to be more than a little competition... and they'd probably only start seriously looking at you once you reach about twice that experience.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm still waiting to see more services switch to RN/RN crew configs

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
There is also Calstar - but they fly RN/RN config. You are likely going to be a more competitive candidate as an RN/medic than as a medic alone. Also getting your degree pushes you forward as well as excellent skills and clinical decision making ability. Most have a written and skills test process in addition to a panel interview. Get all the experience you can on the ground with high quality progressive services. Cali unfortunately is not known for it's ground CCT and it is much behind what CCT ground programs are in other areas.

If you choose to go the RN route - go for the ICU experience as that will give you a better rounded experience to compliment your EMS time. About 5 years in each will make you a strong candidate as you can fill either slot they are looking for. But more than anything - look for a program with a good safety record - it's not just about flying, and trust me the job isn't what you think it is. It's very little scene flights and mostly IFT's. You won't be doing tubes left and right and you'll be excited to find an IV in place and scared to death of what to do with the multiple drips that you know very little about. That's where the RN side comes in rather handy. All in this area fly medic/RN with the exception of the two neonate teams that fly RN/RT. Yeah it's a cool job, but your safety comes first. Do your homework first, get the ground experience, get the degree, and look at getting your alphabet soup along with instructor in some (as education's a big thing with alot of the services). Then as your time gets closer, several programs do fly alongs - talk to them about that, get a feel for the service, what they're about, see how things roll in the air. Plus a good experience will be beneficial to both sides. Take care and stay safe.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
CALSTAR does fly RN/RN crews. The last time I spoke with a flight crew, they (and actually Stanford's Life Flight too) prefer someone who has both RN and EMT-P experience. Since they both do scene calls, already having field experience makes it MUCH easier to train a new Flight RN to be a field provider...

California Paramedic CCT programs are pretty much in their infancy, and compared to a "normal" RN staffed CCT program... well, there's a long way for them to go...

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm still waiting to see more services switch to RN/RN crew configs

Many already are. The primary reason some haven't gone with RN/RN is cost of the 2nd RN. The same for the RRT.

Due to lower education requirements and a limited focus for experience, the Paramedic is relatively cheap. There are also at least 200 Paramedics applying for some Flight positions.

Here's some previous threads:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13898&highlight=Flight+Paramedic

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=11990&highlight=Flight+Paramedic

VentMedic

Forum Chief
California Paramedic CCT programs are pretty much in their infancy, and compared to a "normal" RN staffed CCT program... well, there's a long way for them to go...

What exactly are you referring to as a "normal" RN? Most of the teams I am familar with in CA do require the RNs to have ICU and ED experience as well as their MICN cert. Many are also CCRNs and CENs.

The Paramedic in California has a much longer journey to even acheive adequate care for patients on IFT ALS transports with their very limited scope of practice.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
What exactly are you referring to as a "normal" RN? Most of the teams I am familar with in CA do require the RNs to have ICU and ED experience as well as their MICN cert. Many are also CCRNs and CENs.

The Paramedic in California has a much longer journey to even acheive adequate care for patients on IFT ALS transports with their very limited scope of practice.
What I mean are the RN's that have zero field experience. The ones that have ONLY ED and/or ICU experience. A 10 hour ride on an ambulance every couple of years does not make an MICN good at being a prehospital provider. Most of the protocol manuals I've read limit RN's (including MICN's) to BLS care only, in the field. One allows MICN's to assist, but not direct care. I also find it interesting that CCT-RNs generally have to have an EMT with them in the back unless the RN is also trained as an EMT...

All the teams I'm familiar with require 3 years ED/ICU experience, with CEN/CCRN/MICN preferred... I've heard statements to the effect that RN's that were not also experienced Paramedics take much longer to train to an adequate level of competency for field work than those that are... and not just from one flight program.

As to the "much longer journey" for California Paramedics to provide what you consider "adequate care" during ALS IFT's, I covered when I stated that the field is in it's infancy. In many ways, it's stuck there. That should very much imply that I mean there's a long way to go before California catches up with most of the rest of the country.

JPINFV

Gadfly
RNs working on CCTs work under protocols signed by the transfering physician, not the local EMSA medical director. The EMTs are on board to satisfy state requirements on ambulance staffing. Similarly, I can't believe that anyone is comparing CCTs to scene calls, and hence the need for "prehospital experience." Since patients on critical care runs might very well be going to or coming from an ICU, should paramedics running CCTs be required to have ICU experience (and not just paramedic school clinicals)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
RNs working on CCTs work under protocols signed by the transfering physician, not the local EMSA medical director. The EMTs are on board to satisfy state requirements on ambulance staffing. Similarly, I can't believe that anyone is comparing CCTs to scene calls, and hence the need for "prehospital experience." Since patients on critical care runs might very well be going to or coming from an ICU, should paramedics running CCTs be required to have ICU experience (and not just paramedic school clinicals)?
I'm quite aware of that. That doesn't explain why the EMSA requires that a CCT Ambulance requires either a crew of TWO EMT's and the RN or the crew be made up of an EMT and an RN/EMT...

Most of the CCT programs I'm aware of have their own protocols which must be signed off by the EMS Agency's Medical Director... If the transferring Physician has their own orders for that particular patient, the CCT-RN follows those orders, unless the care needed exceeds their capability. In that case... the transferring facility would need to provide personnel that can provide for care or find another appropriate mode of transport.

About the stuff you added after your initial post... I absolutely think that a Paramedic who is doing CCT should have ICU experience and education to allow that Paramedic to provide the higher level of care necessary. I do not think that an 80 hour course is even close to adequate. A full-time 6 week course would probably come closer to the mark... if the Paramedic is experienced. Somehow I do not believe that an RN can graduate from school, with license in hand, and provide ICU level care without additional training and education either... and the hospitals provide that education before the new ICU RN begins work in the ICU....

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sure it does. It's an ambulance. It's the same reason why non-emergent interfacility transports using ambulances have to be stocked just like emergency ambulances even though most non-emergent ambulance providers won't use 3/4s of the supplies in an ambulance in a 6 month period. What happens if someone flags down a CCT ambulance on the way back to base? That patient doesn't fall under the pervue of a CCT, hence the issue with CCT RNs only being able to provided BLS level care. To finish up with the non-emergent IFT comparison, when was the last time a IFT transport resulted in the EMT-Bs delivering their dialysis patient's baby?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What I mean are the RN's that have zero field experience. The ones that have ONLY ED and/or ICU experience. A 10 hour ride on an ambulance every couple of years does not make an MICN good at being a prehospital provider. Most of the protocol manuals I've read limit RN's (including MICN's) to BLS care only, in the field. One allows MICN's to assist, but not direct care. I also find it interesting that CCT-RNs generally have to have an EMT with them in the back unless the RN is also trained as an EMT...

All the teams I'm familiar with require 3 years ED/ICU experience, with CEN/CCRN/MICN preferred... I've heard statements to the effect that RN's that were not also experienced Paramedics take much longer to train to an adequate level of competency for field work than those that are... and not just from one flight program.

We put EMTs out on the street with only 10 hours of ride time in an ambulance. Paramedics are allowed to do advanced procedures with as few as 40 "ALS" patient contacts and in some areas that doesn't even have to done on a transporting ambulance.

Florida also has a similar "prehospital provider" statute that requires an EMT or Paramedic to be on an ambulance which is why the state, along with others allows the RN to challenge the Paramedic after a 2 week EMT course.

Do you think the RNs on Calstar just stand around on scene? You seriously have never seen the protocols of a flight nurse nor do you know what they can do on an IFT.

How long do you think it would take to "train" a Paramedic to perform on a high acuity CCT the same as an experienced critical care RN? Many Paramedics don't even have college level A&P or pharmacology so the foundation education is lacking before "training" the Paramedics for advanced patient care. In CA the Paramedic, even with the expanded scope, can not touch the meds or equipment used for some of the transports. I find it to be a bad situation to where RNs must also accompany the Paramedics for a patient that has a med hanging that the Paramedics can not touch. These RNs are expected to get on an ambulance whether they want to or not and function outside of the hospital to pick up the slack in a lacking EMS system even to get a chest pain patient to a cath lab.

As to the "much longer journey" for California Paramedics to provide what you consider "adequate care" during ALS IFT's, I covered when I stated that the field is in it's infancy. In many ways, it's stuck there. That should very much imply that I mean there's a long way to go before California catches up with most of the rest of the country.

If you have only worked in California under the scope of practice for the Paramedic in California, then yes you may have a long way to go.

For some Paramedics who have not worked elsewhere, they believe California is the greatest thing in EMS.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Back to the original topic...

Most flight organizations I've seen require the usual EMT-P certification and current CPR, ACLS, ITLS, PALS, NRP, etc. They also usually want you to have your NREMT-P, and some require FP-C and/or CCEMT-P. They also usually want three to five years of experience as a paramedic in clinical and field settings. However, the reality of it is that it comes down to who you know. Case in point: the coordinator of my paramedic program is a flight nurse, our clinical coordinator is a flight paramedic, and at least half of our adjunct faculty are either flight nurses or flight paramedics... but there's no way in hell any of us are going to land flight jobs in the near future.

Jersey

Forum Crew Member
I'm intricately familiar with the process (lets leave it at that)

3 years is usually the minimum, however this has to be in a system that is forward thinking protocol wise, progressive, and BUSY! It is usually good to see medics coming from systems with longer than 5-10 minute transports because those transports dont require much beyond the basics of the protocols.

Usually CCEMTP and FPC are NOT at all required before hiring. It would be nearly impossible to pass the FPC without flight experience (although some have done it).

The rest of the alphabet soup is ACLS, PALS, PHTLS/ITLS/BTLS, NRP, AMLS.

To make yourself ACTUALLY competitive you need all of the above plus instructor certs in the above classes.

THEN it comes down to who you know, the reputation that you've made for yourself in EMS and anything that you've published in the trade mags/journals. Most programs like to see a BA/BS with advanced science courses.

For most programs, the nurses and paramedics are expected to know the exact same things. For a paramedic, this is much more of a learning jump (from initial training) to get a grasp on the complex pathophys, acid/base, med tech, and everything else that is required on a high complexity team.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Vent: I'll respond inline, and in red, for clarity.
We put EMTs out on the street with only 10 hours of ride time in an ambulance. Paramedics are allowed to do advanced procedures with as few as 40 "ALS" patient contacts and in some areas that doesn't even have to done on a transporting ambulance.
And I think that isn't near enough.
Florida also has a similar "prehospital provider" statute that requires an EMT or Paramedic to be on an ambulance which is why the state, along with others allows the RN to challenge the Paramedic after a 2 week EMT course.
California allows RN's, PA's, and MD's to challenge the Paramedic License... and it's not a "2-week" course. They must complete, and pass, a 480 hour internship, just like every other Paramedic student. If the challenge student doesn't pass... no Paramedic License will be issued. While an MD can work in the field under his/her own Medical License, an RN (even a well experienced CCRN or CEN) is limited to BLS care... PA's, for all their knowledge and education, are limited to being bystanders... MICN's, if authorized by their County, may be able to provide ALS in the field.
Do you think the RNs on Calstar just stand around on scene? You seriously have never seen the protocols of a flight nurse nor do you know what they can do on an IFT.
I'm well aware of what CALSTAR Flight RN's do on scene. I have in fact, seen, and read, Flight Nurse protocols. I'm also at least aware of what they can do on an IFT. Do not presume to think that I haven't, that I don't understand, or that my education is limited to just Paramedicine.
How long do you think it would take to "train" a Paramedic to perform on a high acuity CCT the same as an experienced critical care RN? Many Paramedics don't even have college level A&P or pharmacology so the foundation education is lacking before "training" the Paramedics for advanced patient care. In CA the Paramedic, even with the expanded scope, can not touch the meds or equipment used for some of the transports. I find it to be a bad situation to where RNs must also accompany the Paramedics for a patient that has a med hanging that the Paramedics can not touch. These RNs are expected to get on an ambulance whether they want to or not and function outside of the hospital to pick up the slack in a lacking EMS system even to get a chest pain patient to a cath lab.
This one, I'll throw back at you: Vent, do you consider yourself experienced enough, even after many years as an RRT and a Paramedic, to manage high acuity CCT patients as well as an experienced critical care RN? How long did it take for you to get to that point? What would you consider to be "experienced" for purposes of this exercise? 2 years? 15 years? 30 years? I'm well aware that there are meds and equipment that even an "Expanded Scope" Paramedic is not allowed to work with. Appropriate education would (eventually) change that. An experienced Med/Surg RN would not do too well if simply dropped into an ICU and told to have at it.

On a related note: I would hope that the RN that is told to accompany a patient on an ambulance is covered for medical liability by his/her employer while out on the ambulance to the same degree that is provided while working in the hospital.

If you have only worked in California under the scope of practice for the Paramedic in California, then yes you may have a long way to go.
I have only worked as a California Paramedic. I'm well aware of the limitations of what California allows... and I feel quite constrained by it.
For some Paramedics who have not worked elsewhere, they believe California is the greatest thing in EMS.
As I indicated earlier, California EMS is basically stuck in it's infancy. I certainly do not believe that California EMS is the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread...