Flight/HEMS

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I bought a used Alpha Eagle. Waiting on the helmet and parts then I will post up some pics.

The HGUs are definitely nice helmets.

SAREMT

Forum Probie
Has anyone heard of HEMS companies having a bias against people with fire backgrounds?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Has anyone heard of HEMS companies having a bias against people with fire backgrounds?

Never heard of that however I could potentially see why. If you are a fire medic on an engine who does not transport then I really wouldn’t consider that quality 911 experience.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Also, most of the fire medics I know of, were (are) paramedics first. It's a clinically driven role.

Last edited:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Also, most of the fire medics I know of, were (are) paramedics first. It's a clinically driven role.
99% of the fire medics I know are firefighters first. It’s honestly sad.

We had a guy who worked for us (ambulance company) who got hired at a local flight company and after maybe 2 months quit because he got a fire job. He could not understand why the flight company was not extremely happy about it and ended up burning all of his bridges.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly, how would you know?
Because we have a board representing members from all over the world and the only time it is ever mentioned (which is actually pretty often) is in relation to California. Im sure there are isolated incidents nation wide but overwhelmingly California ( it seems as though you cant throw a rock without hitting an EMT in California, maybe that is why).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Because we have a board representing members from all over the world and the only time it is ever mentioned (which is actually pretty often) is in relation to California. Im sure there are isolated incidents nation wide but overwhelmingly California ( it seems as though you cant throw a rock without hitting an EMT in California, maybe that is why).
And you've personally gone through flight hoops out here? Again, how would you know personally?

Also, spare the forthcoming "anti-California" bashing. I'm asking firsthand knowledge.

A board to me is as much here say as anything else. Unless I've personally experienced it myself why should I wholeheartedly believe anything anyone else tells me as anything other than word of mouth?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And you've personally gone through flight hoops out here? Again, how would you know personally?

Also, spare the forthcoming "anti-California" bashing. I'm asking firsthand knowledge.

A board to me is as much here say as anything else. Unless I've personally experienced it myself why should I wholeheartedly believe anything anyone else tells me as anything other than word of mouth?

Does it matter if Ive experienced it first hand?

If you havent experienced it then anything I say is just word of mouth, so there would really be no point in continuing this conversation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Does it matter if Ive experienced it first hand?
Actually it kind of does. That's like me carrying on about how it's a "fill in wherever you're from" thing without any firsthand knowledge.

It's basically talking out of your backside. Why it's relevant and pertinent is because someone asked and got two different replies from two different California natives. Point being is it's more than likely subjective and has absolutely nothing to do with ones "background".

My personal opinion is one thing, but it's from that of someone with experience in the state in question. I'm willing to bet there are hardly any biases other than maybe "who you know".

I don't know what, or how other states operate. I am speaking from my firsthand knowledge here...in California.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Maybe we answer the question?

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Maybe we answer the question?
I'm willing to bet there are hardly any biases other than maybe "who you know".
Again, in my area this seems most prevalent. I've known of would-be firefighters getting flight jobs.

@DesertMedic66 gave an example of one who landed a job, then bailed for the fire service.

Aside from (as someone else pointed out) being a sole-assessment engine medic, I can't or don't see how it matters. Even then, who's to say the program in question won't overlook such a thing? Certainly, crazier things (and people) have happened.

The only ones who truly know who, or what they won't hire are sitting across that table. So, like any job that you actually want: do your homework, retain quality experience and education and apply, apply, apply.

Really, there are no tricks, and I certainly doubt that there are typically direct biases. Qualified to them isn't always what we might imagine it to be.

SAREMT

Forum Probie
I was just curious if there was a known generalized bias against fire medics or not in HEMS. I guess I got my answer in that most on here haven't recognized that in their experience. I'd be curious to hear more about the California issue considering that's where I actually live.

Part of the reason I ask is that, as Desertmedic66 talked out, in my experience MOST fire medics around where I am are firefighters first and don't appear to have much of a passion for EMS, so I was curious if there was that stereotype overall in the industry that might adversely affect someone with that background.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
For most companies the entrance exam during the interview process is the great equalizer and weeds out applicants whom are not qualified regardless of their backgrounds.