flexible schedules

ironguy321

Forum Probie
How flexible are private ambulances with firefighter schedules? I'm a volley right now and I work one 24 hour shift a week but its ABC shift so if I work Monday one week it will be Tuesday another. Will this hurt my chances with these companies? I don't mind pulling a a 24 and a 16 hr shift.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It depends upon the company. Some companies (like mine) are very flexible in their scheduling while others demand that you place them first in your list of priorities.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Some ambulance companies run "kelly" style schedules while others have set shifts (great for students). You need to talk to your local companies about their schedule system.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
How flexible are private ambulances with firefighter schedules? I'm a volley right now and I work one 24 hour shift a week but its ABC shift so if I work Monday one week it will be Tuesday another. Will this hurt my chances with these companies? I don't mind pulling a a 24 and a 16 hr shift.

You may not mind pulling a 24 or 16, but either employer might have an issue with you working a 24 with them right after you were up all night with a volly call

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
yeah but it all depends on how busy your area is to. if you have only one team on duty at the station per shift and high calls then you will do rotating 24's. does the company that you're trying with do 12's or 24's?

REMSI Medic 10

Forum Probie
With CPTS(Carilion Patient Transport Services) they have something called "Flex-Time" and basically you tell them when you can work and they try to schedule you and get you 80 hours a month, however they HAVE to give u at LEAST 80 hours a month.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Explain your situation going in and it might be easier to work out a plan. However, the time might come when you need to make a decision about what's more important; i.e. working as a volunteer, or paying the bills. It's never easy (yes, I speak from experience here) but sometimes there's just no way around it. I hope things work out for you.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
theres no right or wrong answer. each company does it differently. some have very rigid, set shifts. if you cant hold up your end, take a walk. others are very flexible. one company i worked for, the schedule was only done a week in advance.