FlexAll Splints

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I just ordered a basic BLS jump kit which included a Flexall splint, and I was wondering if anyone knows how they work.

It's basically rolled up into a cylinder with shrink wrap. It looks like there is a roll of cling-wrap in the middle. I would test it out myself, but it's like $10 plus shipping, and I'm not sure if it's reusable.

It looks like this:
flexall_full.jpg

Thanks!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
They're great, but expensive. It's a sam splint, and is pretty useful. Unfortuantely I've never seen one used in the field. There are many cheaper alternatives out there.

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
The Sam splint is a good one to carry in a personal kit.
We get them as door prizes at EMS conferences.

Mr. Davis links us to the info on the design use of this handy splint.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but without a rig full of handy supply's,
What do you use to deal with an ankle injury?

reaper

Working Bum
They are great for minor injuries. we use them all the time on our trucks.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Great splint for Colle's fxr or lower fxr with gross deformity. Personally I use maybe two for better stability. For ankle fxr. which is usually a bad sprain, I use a pillow or blanket made into a U shape and tape around. Thus, making a "stirrup" type splint.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
pillow and tape for the ankle is my favortite too

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
This type of splint is great for wrist/forearem fractures, they work really well for pedi patients! :)

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
Ridryder911
For ankle fxr. which is usually a bad sprain, I use a pillow or blanket made into a U shape and tape around. Thus, making a "stirrup" type splint.

KEVD18
pillow and tape for the ankle is my favortite too

Thanks, as that is my 1st choice also. the reason i asked is i transported a deformed ankle(was fractured) from a football game(high school) using a pillow, ice pack.
The ER Doc poped a head gasket. Guess he prefures air splints.
Wrote it off to him just having a bad day.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Great splint for Colle's fxr or lower fxr with gross deformity. Personally I use maybe two for better stability. For ankle fxr. which is usually a bad sprain, I use a pillow or blanket made into a U shape and tape around. Thus, making a "stirrup" type splint.

R/r 911

Used the pillow technique just yesterday. Construction worker fell off his scaffolding from quite a height. C/O head/back pain and R ankle pain. Pillow worked like a charm.

certguy

Forum Captain
Sam Splints

Sam splints are great in that you can bend and mold them practically any way you need . In my gear I carry 2 , however , there are 2 drawbacks to carrying them in your personal gear . !. price - if you can't get them back , they're expensive to replace . 2. You'd have to decontaminate after use . A far cheaper and more practicle alternative is to use cardboard splints . They're not as fancy , but can be easily cut and molded to suit the need and you don't have to worry about getting them back . Roll the cardboard to conform to the limb , add a little padding , and you're good to go . They don't have to be store bought . They can be cut from ordinary boxes , thus saving you more money . In my gear , I carry a former USFS hose pack full of them for MCI use .

CERTGUY