First time CPR - Blood squirting

jparent

Forum Probie
Long time lurker first time CPR so I thought I would share.

About an hour ago a cardiac arrest call went out right down the street from me. I arrived first with the police and we went into the house and started CPR. We delivered a shock inserted an OPA, at about this time the medics, duty crew and a few members arrived. The medics immediately hooked the pt up to the EKG and intubated her. A few minutes later I saw blood coming from her mouth and could hear the blood in the tube when I was doing chest compressions. This is where it all gets interesting.

We delivered another shock and a bunch of blood squirted from her mouth. One of the medics re-evaulated lung sounds which where 'clear'. CPR was continued and the intubation tube was constantly needing to be suctioned. The next time we shocked the pt blood squirted out 2-3 feet into the air from the tube. We ended up getting a pulse after a few more shocks and few more squirts of blood.

I've only been an EMT for 6 months and this is my first time doing chest compressions. It was just a little freaky seeing all of the blood and especially the squirting from the tube during the shocks.

So expect the unexpected! And know where your face masks are.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Long time lurker first time CPR so I thought I would share.

About an hour ago a cardiac arrest call went out right down the street from me. I arrived first with the police and we went into the house and started CPR. We delivered a shock inserted an OPA, at about this time the medics, duty crew and a few members arrived. The medics immediately hooked the pt up to the EKG and intubated her. A few minutes later I saw blood coming from her mouth and could hear the blood in the tube when I was doing chest compressions. This is where it all gets interesting.

We delivered another shock and a bunch of blood squirted from her mouth. One of the medics re-evaulated lung sounds which where 'clear'. CPR was continued and the intubation tube was constantly needing to be suctioned. The next time we shocked the pt blood squirted out 2-3 feet into the air from the tube. We ended up getting a pulse after a few more shocks and few more squirts of blood.

I've only been an EMT for 6 months and this is my first time doing chest compressions. It was just a little freaky seeing all of the blood and especially the squirting from the tube during the shocks.

So expect the unexpected! And know where your face masks are.

Strange. Is it possible the bleeding was caused through oral/airway trauma by the laryngoscopy and ETT tube? or did this patient have something like oesophageal varices?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Weird... I wonder if the tube placement was rough on the way in.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Strange. Is it possible the bleeding was caused through oral/airway trauma by the laryngoscopy and ETT tube? or did this patient have something like oesophageal varices?

I agree.

Varicies, or Gi bleed.

What color was the blood bright red, coffe grounds?

What was the history?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you sure it was blood and not bloody secretions?

Codes get real messy around the airway.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
2-3 feet in the air? Why was the BVM being removed for every shock?

OP
OP
J

jparent

Forum Probie
The blood was bright red coming out and filled up 1/2 of the portable suction container. The blood only squirted in the air twice, the tube was being suctioned just prior to the shock on both occasions. The other few times it was just kind of leaking everywhere.

Hx - non smoker 50yo, unknown medical history besides that. The pt was sitting at the kitchen table prior to the arrest.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
The blood was bright red coming out and filled up 1/2 of the portable suction container. The blood only squirted in the air twice, the tube was being suctioned just prior to the shock on both occasions. The other few times it was just kind of leaking everywhere.

Hx - non smoker 50yo, unknown medical history besides that. The pt was sitting at the kitchen table prior to the arrest.

Ruptured varices.

OP
OP
J

jparent

Forum Probie
Would broken ribs cause the same type of bleeding? First time doing chest compressions so I have nothing to compare the feeling of the Pt's rib cage to but a few times during compressions the chest didn't rebound instantly, I paused for a second for the chest to rise and continued like normal.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Ruptured varices.

There would have likely been a lot more blood than what was described. The last varices case I worked looked like a scene from Kill Bill.

OP
OP
J

jparent

Forum Probie
usafmedic45 - there was A LOT of blood, I watched a video on youtube of ruptured varices and would say the amount of blood in the suction/on the floor could have been consistent with ruptured varices. Maybe I didn't describe just how much blood came from her mouth, about 2-3 were used to wipe off the pt/floor. It's just a guessing game at this point, thanks for everyones reply!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Wouldn't a properly placed tube seal off the portion of the GI track that generally bleeds from varicies? It does sound like my experience with varicies though.

OP please check back in if you find out anything further. After my one and only varicies experience I'm interested to know what you find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
DIC maybe?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
DIC maybe?

Not from someone with no apparently medical history....that's a zebra. Could have been bleeding from a rough intubation or trauma to the mouth or face from the agonal fall.

More than likely the OP is being dramatic in describing relatively minor bleeding. When in doubt, assume someone is lying or exaggerating.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sorry I missed the no previous hx part. My buddy had a case like this, but his pt had a hx of chronic ETOH abuse.

OP
OP
J

jparent

Forum Probie
Not from someone with no apparently medical history....that's a zebra. Could have been bleeding from a rough intubation or trauma to the mouth or face from the agonal fall.

More than likely the OP is being dramatic in describing relatively minor bleeding. When in doubt, assume someone is lying or exaggerating.

It's always safe to say someone is exaggerating on lying online, i think I'm describing it fairly though. The medic said he's never see that much blood coming out like that before. And I don't know the size of the portable suction container but it filled up half way. Also on the big squirt from the ntt tube it hit the medic that was kneeling by the pt's waist, he had a good amount of blood on his arm/chest from 2-3 feet away.

OP
OP
J

jparent

Forum Probie
Wouldn't a properly placed tube seal off the portion of the GI track that generally bleeds from varicies? It does sound like my experience with varicies though.

OP please check back in if you find out anything further. After my one and only varicies experience I'm interested to know what you find out.

If I hear anything I'll update this thread, thanks for everyone's replies.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's always safe to say someone is exaggerating on lying online, i think I'm describing it fairly though

That's the rule I live by in person as well. It's basically Occam's razor (the simplest answer is the one most likely to be correct).

The medic said he's never see that much blood coming out like that before. And I don't know the size of the portable suction container but it filled up half way. Also on the big squirt from the ntt tube it hit the medic that was kneeling by the pt's waist, he had a good amount of blood on his arm/chest from 2-3 feet away.

Well, find out if they did an autopsy and get the medical director to request a copy of the report. That's the best way to find out.

Not unless the tube in question was of the Sengstaken-Blakemore variety.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
From the sounds of it, you may have gotten ROSC, survival to discharge is another matter.

Even then your medical director can request the records for QI/QA purposes.