First ride along on Sunday!

SarahAus

Forum Probie
I'm SO excited! 14 hour shift with the local FD, and I know a few guys from that FD and I think they'll all be pretty welcoming and friendly.

So what should I make sure I know so I don't look like an idiot?? Vital signs being the obvious one. I guess make sure I know all my acronyms - OPQRST, SAMPLE, AVPU etc? How to do a trauma/medical assessment even though the odds of them letting me do one are slim to none? What are the biggies?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, do not show up at the station without something for them to eat. That is the biggest thing.

74restore

Forum Crew Member
Doughnuts.... worked every time when I was doing ride alongs. It's basically an instant reason for them to sort of like your presence right from the start. Especially early in the morning.

Be aware, firefighters like to prank students/give them a hard time every now and then. Just like they would a probie. Don't take it personally. They're still nice folks and mean well.

If they go to check the truck and get inventory at the beginning of the shift, you better go with them and help. If someone picks up a mop to clean, ask how you can help. Little acts of showing you care go a long way. Good luck!

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Be comfortable taking manual blood pressure, including BP by palpation. Know how to check blood glucose. Familiarize yourself with their equipment and where everything is kept on the ambulance at the beginning of your shift if you can.

Most importantly, if you dont know something, admit it. If you cant get a blood pressure reading, admit it, dont make anything up or guess. If for example you think the systolic was somewhere around 140 to 160, or diastolic was around 60ish but you arent sure, then say that.

Ask them what is expected of you on calls, as it may vary a lot depending on the crew. I did clinicals where they expected me to be the first one in the door and actually go through a patient assessment, and others where they just wanted me to stay out of the way and get equipment, and others where they pretty much asked me what I felt comfortable doing.

OP
OP
S

SarahAus

Forum Probie
I know about the food :) I'm a pretty good baker, so I'm doing up a batch of chocolate chip cookies today, and will make a batch of the world's most awesome blueberry muffins tomorrow morning so I can take them in hot and fresh ^_^

Thanks for the advice - will let you know how it goes!

Achilles

Forum Moron
Beeeecause you don't like donuts?

I'll bet it's because cinnamon dragon would kick his ***.
yup ride alongs are fun! You better always be studying though, don't ever go in the tv room, and always help make lunch, and clean up.

If you really wanna have fun, right before lunch say "it's been a quiet day today" :rofl:

EchoMikeTango82

Forum Probie
Doughnuts.... worked every time when I was doing ride alongs. It's basically an instant reason for them to sort of like your presence right from the start. Especially early in the morning.

Be aware, firefighters like to prank students/give them a hard time every now and then. Just like they would a probie. Don't take it personally. They're still nice folks and mean well.

If they go to check the truck and get inventory at the beginning of the shift, you better go with them and help. If someone picks up a mop to clean, ask how you can help. Little acts of showing you care go a long way. Good luck!

I took bagels for my ride along and also helped out checking the rig before our shift and helped washed the rig.

SSwain

Forum Captain
I baked banana bread for the crews I rode with. Also, I brought a can of coffee grounds along and donated it to the station(s).

Study when not working, offer to help clean/cook, NEVER SIT IDLE unless they tell you to.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. And listen to the answers.

Even though I work with a different service, I still bake banana bread for some of the crews I rode with. It helps that one station is 2 blocks from my house.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
How did it go? Any good calls?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
NEVER SIT IDLE unless they tell you to.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. And listen to the answers.\

I'll add a caveat to this. If I'm writing a chart leave me alone. I can knock out an ePCR in 10-20 minutes depending on how much we actually did interventional-wise. That's 10-20 minutes you can use to study or relax then we can go back to teaching/learning when I'm finished. Talk to my partner if you want but please, leave me alone so I can keep my train of thought.

If you gab my ear off all night and I end up having to stay late to finish all the charts I couldn't finish because I was answering your questions I'm going to be grumpy. Especially if you up and disappear to your car and then home right when we get back to station.

Just one pet peeve I'll voice with third riders.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you actually say this, you deserve everything you have coming to you from that moment forward lol :rofl:

Including any pranks or angry remarks directed towards you by crew members

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you are making fresh muffins and cookies, forget ride alongs, we need to get you out here...

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Two things: Place a NRB on every patient,regardless of complaint. When the medics arrive,ask if you are still needed, regardless of complaint.