first ride along, help answer my questions

emily1024

Forum Probie
so i was thinking about doing a ride along with my local EMS service, i know they accept ride alongs because i already talked to them about it. i was just wondering what should i expect? is there a specific clothing i need to ware or will they provide me with it? how long would i be doing this (meaning in a day would i do the ride along for 2 hours or 18 hours)? how often am i aloud to do these ride alongs? theses are some of the questions i have and would love to hear your opinion

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
All of your questions are going to be agency specific.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty much all those questions need to be answered by the agency you want to ride along with, as it vary's from place to place. Locally at least, pretty much every single ride along I've seen is an EMT School student who needs a certain number of hours and pt contacts in ride alongs in order to graduate.....they are pretty much required to wear a white dress shirt and black slacks and black shoes and belt (which you bring from home, no company is going to pay to outfit a ridealong in other clothes), bring any and all required paperwork and study materials they possess, and at least at my company are assigned 12 hours on the ambulance, though if we're on a call or a move up you get to "hold over" past those 12 hours until you're able to get back to the station.