First day of swift water training

Epi-do

I see dead people
And I had a blast!!! The morning was spent in the classroom, and the afternoon was spent learning how to set up the rope systems for use with the boat. I found out I am apparently "a natural" when it comes to learning how to tie knots - at least that is what I was told, anyway.

Friday we will be spending the day in the river and I can't wait!! We will be doing some self-rescuing techniques, along with some hands-on stuff reading the river and manuvering the boat into/out of eddies, pulling "victims" out of the water, etc. It just sounds to me like it will be alot of fun. Hard to believe they are actually paying me to do this stuff!
snoopydance.gif

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow! Sounds like fun, and also very tiring. Learn a lot !

R/r 911

Summit

Critical Crazy
Swift Water is way fun!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds pretty darn awsome Epi-Do!! :)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Whoooo hoooo... swiftwater is a blast! As to the knots, I am a bit of a knot-nazi. I love new ones, and keep a practice rope around the house so I don't get rusty. Remember, it's not tied right if it ain't dressed! Knots should be pretty!

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
Just got back from day 2 a little bit ago. I had a blast! I found out that I just don't "get" steering the boat. It just seems backwards to me the way it works, but there are plenty of other people to do that. We already have two guys on our shift that are considered the primary and secondary boat operators.

On the other hand, going into the water and doing stuff ROCKS!!!! I know, I know - reach, throw, row, go and you aren't actually supposed to want to have to go into the water, but dang it, that part was the most fun! I've already volunteered to be a swimmer, if we were ever to need one....

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Sounds like lots of fun. Glad your enjoying it I know I enjoyed doing water rescue stuff also.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
We did the classroom stuff at Franklin Twp. and the handson stuff was on the White River in Waverly. Total "ick" on the thought of getting into that water, huh? Let me tell you, my shower back at the firehouse never felt so good.