First Call of the Year

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
About 03:30 a seizure in a 29f, followed by an acute onset chest pain in a 85m about 05:30. Of course I was off at 06:00. Started the year with OT. Oh joy!

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
My first call of this year was yesterday, 49 day old baby with pneumonia who had been admitted for RSV just 2 weeks ago. And he's not the only baby that has been admitted twice that quick, I took one baby twice in 4 days, first at 12 days old, then at 16 days old...

Was hanging out with some medic friends who were working downtown for NYE. When the new year hit and we were watching the fireworks, there was about a minute of silence before their mic picked up the county 911 tones-

"Rescue 7 respond to xxxx for xx year old male, chief complaint of diarrhea."

And we all went, "HEYYYY!!! First call of the new year and it's a code brown!!" :beerchug::rofl:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
call 00001 . A single vehicle mvc involving a drunk 19yo who wrecked into a giant snowbank. We are thinking she was there for a few hours. She was passed out behind the wheel. She came to as we were assessing her and she started swinging and wouldn't stop so we backed off and waited for police. When police showed she started with them as well. She ended up getting to ride with police. On top of the DUI we are charging her as well.

ToyotaTruck

Forum Crew Member
Call came in as an OD. Get on scene and PD already has a 22 yo male in cuffs butt naked sitting in his living room. PT saying things like "Show me the sky I want to see the angels." Pt would only admit to smoking weed and when asked anything else he would go back to speaking about the clouds and god. I ask him if he can walk and he insits on walking naked. His father goes to put pants on him and he resists saying "DAD YOU CANT PUT PANTS ON GOD!" Restrained, pretty straightforward ALS transport after that. He wouldnt stop giving me the thousand yard stare enroute which gave me the creeps.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Say what? I have seen quite a few patients vasovagal while vomiting.

You've got a lot more experience than me -- this is the only time I've seen it. Got a lot more sick people in hospitals than in ambulances :p

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Unless you count the call that started on New Years Eve just before midnight but didn't get to the hospital until after midnight, I haven't been on a call yet.

If you do count that call, then it was for someone who should have arranged for a designated driver, but didn't. Hopefully the patient learned that rather painful lesson and won't repeat the same mistake.

med109

Forum Crew Member
Call 001 Standby for a structure fire. Nobody in the house.

On a side note, we also don't give water in the rig. If something is going on that they may need surgery we don't want to put anything in their stomach. I also wouldn't give a patient saline water to drink, yuck. If they appear dehydraited they are getting an IV and blood draws. But our medical director wants IV and blood draws on almost everyone. If my EMT basics can't get one started they have to call ALS, per protocol. Usually they can get it started, but if not they call.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
A tad late but heck...its still January :p

00:15

Third unit in for the "conclusion of a new year's eve party".

Middle-aged male ETOH to the point of unresponsiveness. Had soiled himself and was covered from head to toe in vomit. I knew it was going to be a "good" call when you could smell the puke in the air from the driveway. I've never seen so much puke before on the driveway...sad thing is...I wish I could say inside the house was better.

3 people decided to start challenging each other to games of drink...3 people went to the hospital that night...but I believe we transported the "winner".

At least the last call of 2012 was pretty cool. Full arrest with torsades de pointes on the monitor (which I hear is pretty uncommon).

Last edited by a moderator: