Firefighters and paramedic have religious right to keep beards

VentMedic

Forum Chief
petition for new hearing

This article could also be titled "How to Spend Tax Dollars and Union Dues"

DC to ask for rehearing in EMS beard dispute

March 11, 2009

http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/he...-DC-to-ask-for-rehearing-in-EMS-beard-dispute

WASHINGTON — District of Columbia Attorney General Peter Nickles says the city will continue the legal battle over beards in the DC Fire & EMS Department. On Friday, a three judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit ruled against the District and affirmed a 2007 ruling by a federal judge in favor of the firefighters and medics. Friday's opinion hinged on a procedural matter.

Nickles tells STATter911.com the safety issue is too important to let this case be decided on a technicality. He has directed his staff to petition for a hearing before the entire court.

jason152318

Forum Probie
Man. the things they let in the courts.....Im all about religious rights, but I think this is a dumb topic to even bring up in a court. I read my Bible and I have yet to see anything about needing a beird to believe in God.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have a goatee... doesn't inhibit the N-95, doesn't inhibit a SCUBA mask, and doesn't inhibit a SCBA mask. If an employer tells me to get rid of it, I'd tell them to shove off too.

Having said that, it's not a religious right, but it does encroach on others freedoms.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Man. the things they let in the courts.....Im all about religious rights, but I think this is a dumb topic to even bring up in a court. I read my Bible and I have yet to see anything about needing a beird to believe in God.

Orthodox Jews and Muslims will disagree with that. Thats who brought the lawsuit.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I have a goatee... doesn't inhibit the N-95, doesn't inhibit a SCUBA mask, and doesn't inhibit a SCBA mask. If an employer tells me to get rid of it, I'd tell them to shove off too.

How often are you fit tested for the N-95 and is your goatee the same shape and length each time?