Fire science degree?

Hfive

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I wondering what everyone's opinion on a paramedic getting a fire science and emergency management degree. Will it help with employment? Or going on to becoming a firefighter?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We actually talked about this today in class during a break. A FS degree will help employment, but it is a very specific degree, you can't use it to your advantage really anywhere else.

The other point that was made was that if your going to go out and get your medic to get on with a fire department you better like being a medic. They are hiring you to be a FF/MEDIC. As a probie your gonna be on the box first thing. I know a few guys who have worked for FDs for 5+ years and hate being a medic but still don't have the seniority at their departments and still haven't moved over to the engine.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Will it help with getting a fire gig? Maybe. An EMS gig? No.

Emergency Management degree? Good for when you want to get in to a supervisory role.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
The Fire Science degree might be one of the easiest degrees you can get, and I personally cannot see how it would benefit you getting on with an EMS dept.

In my experience EMS services are more Impressed with BS degrees in Biology, Nursing, Community Health, or A degree in Management or Business etc.

These are all degrees that are actually usefull in the EMS world, Most Medics have an AS degree so that really is not so impressive anymore.

Have you taken any of the Fire Science Courses? Are you wanting to be a Fire Fighter or a Paramedic? or are you getting your Paramedic so you can be a Fire Fighter?

OP
OP
H

Hfive

Forum Probie
I get what you are saying fish. I am getting my medic to be a medic. But I really want to keep the door open for fire. And if I can gain any experience and do any courses that will help me now and later as a possible ff/medic, I would love to do that. Think I will look into biology.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Don't get a BS in that, just a AS in Fire. Go study a real subject. I still have my ASE certs; my Bachelor's in East Asian Studies and Anthropology won't get me a paying job if :censored::censored::censored::censored: hits the fan. Neither is my AS in Fire, when, Fire ain't hirin'. Not even volunteering, those guys are stuck in limbo, like everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I get what you are saying fish. I am getting my medic to be a medic. But I really want to keep the door open for fire. And if I can gain any experience and do any courses that will help me now and later as a possible ff/medic, I would love to do that. Think I will look into biology.

If Fire is the option you want to keep open, experience as a reserve or Volunteer holds a lot more water than the Fire Science Degree. Plus, in Fire Dept.s the Admin Staff Generally always have atleast a Bach.

terrible one

Always wandering
Maybe you should ask oh I don't know a firefighters forum? They might be able to help you more than EMS forum

OP
OP
H

Hfive

Forum Probie
Terrible one, my question was about whether or not it could help me in ems and later on fire.

mikeward

Forum Crew Member
Fire or emergency managemebnt

Hfive:

Good question ... the answer depends on where you plan to work.

California, Florida and Texas have specific requirements. Those are states where getting a fire science degree is VERY helpful.

In Florida and California you have to complete a fire academy program - run by the community colleges - before many departments will consider your application for employment.

Some fire departments require six to 16 semester hours of academic work as a pre-employment requirement.

Suggestion A

Google "National Fire Academy" and FESHE.

That should get you to the model fire science associate and bachelor degree programs. Look for "Higher Education"

Suggestion B

Identify where you want to work/live and check out the fire department hiring requirements.

Suggestion C

Many fire departments do not care and/or do not require academic achievement beyond a high school diploma or equivalent.

<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>

Getting a fire science degree will provide technical information that will assist you in working at the task and tactical level of the job.

An emergency management degree provides information that will assist later in your career, when you are working at the tactical and strategic level.

Good luck

terrible one

Always wandering
Terrible one, my question was about whether or not it could help me in ems and later on fire.

An AS degree in fire science help in EMS? little to none. in fact some places seeing that you are interested in a fire career instead of EMS will not hire you.
An AS degree in fire science help for a fire department? possibly. depends on the department.

This is the right forum for his question, he was asking if it would help with an EMS job.

my mistake.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're looking for a fire job, your paramedic will probably help you much more than a fire science degree. I assume you're looking at departments that provide EMS. Even if the department is BLS, they'll probably look at your potential to provide education such as refreshers etc.

It really depends on the department. Some will state upfront they give preference points to such degrees. I'm willing to bet at most departments, any degree will be helpful and the more the better - meaning a bachelor's in business may hold more weight for them than an AAS in Fire Science. That probably depends on the department, of course. The thing is, often many of the courses that make up Fire Science programs can be taught by a department, such as an academy, Driver-Operator and codes.

If you're going to do it, I would knock out general ed courses such as algebra, English, etc - even if not required for the AAS. That way you can at least go on and get a Bachelor's down the line.