Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Paid Independent

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Paid Fire Dept Based

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
I am just curious to see the responses, is your service Independent or with a Fire service ? In my area it is mainly independent services. Please tick your type.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Kind of a bad question there, Bro. "Independent" covers a whole lot of ground, and many of them have nothing in common besides being non-fire. A New Jersey "first aid squad" is independent. AMR is independent. But so is a city, county or federal government EMS agency. This poll is sort of meaningless if you don't break down the "independents" into their real categories.

James 61

Forum Probie
I belong to an all volunter non-pfofit Search and Recue Team. We are completely independant of the fire services and to my knowledge we are the only BLS certified SAR team in the state of Washington.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, mine isn't up there. Volunteer Law-Enforcement "based" service. It is run by the County Sheriff. We are called the Sheriff's Ambulance. (I like it. I think it is kind of unique:p)

imurphy

Forum Captain
Where is my beating a dead horse card gone.....

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
thread-fail-stamp.gif

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Tough crowd...

I work for a paid fire-based service. Love it.

Ditto for me. I've worked for private, hospital based 911/interfacility, third service, and fire based. There are stellar, good, so-so, bad, and godawful agencies for each category. As such, opinions of each will vary based on each individual's experiences. Any discussions about which is better in a general sense is beating a dead horse. These debates should be in reference to individual regions, such as a specific county or city. Each of the above categories work great for some areas, but are horrible for others.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
What about Police affiliated???

Nassau County PD in LI NY has police based EMS. EMT-CC's (known as EMT-I elsewhere) and medics earn the same salary. I think they work 3 12's/week, with 20 and out, and a 1 hr break without being subject for calls(radio turned off). The police officers are trained to EMT-B. EMS is not crosstrained for police. The medic/CC rides solo, and will be backed up by another bus, or a P.O. The ambulance will drive the P.O. back to their cruiser after the job. It's inefficient, but most that work their seem satisfied, are paid well, and are rarely burnt. Nassau County also has numerous volly FD's that run BLS/ALS ambos and chase cars.

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
i am kind of iffy on the question.. i work for a private ambulance service which i get paid for.. but volunteer for a fire department, where we volunteer fire fight and ambulance calls...