finding work after school

AnthonyTheEmt

Forum Lieutenant
hey, so I was wondering how long it took people to find medic jobs after the finished medic school. I live in the bay area, and things sound like their might be something, but not much going on now.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
hey, so I was wondering how long it took people to find medic jobs after the finished medic school. I live in the bay area, and things sound like their might be something, but not much going on now.

In my area, medic's have a far more easy time getting jobs than basics do. We have 3-4 tech schools churning out basics like pencils. We had about 60 new basics pumped into the system just from the last semester and only so many jobs. Medics on the other hand are more rare and tend to get hiring bonuses. As a basic, it took me about 2 weeks to find a job after I started looking but I knew the director of operations at the company I applied to.

terrible one

Always wandering
Unless you are FD move out of CA to get a medic job

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Nashville is over populated right now with basics...i have been licensed since july and have had NO luck, with even an interview or call back. A few of my class members were lucky enough to get hired on, but those private companies arnt hiring again til after the holiday, im sure. I've checked the listings almost every day and seems there are many medic openings. I have decided to go back to medic school when it starts up in the spring.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had a a lot of "maybes" but nothing solid for a month or so after medic school. Now I work for two agencies (one 911, one IFT) and volunteer as a fire/medic.

Keep talking to people, do ride alongs, be tenacious.

There are jobs out there, you just need to be in the right place at the right time.