Filtered Needle Question

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
I read another thread about the use of filtered needles and thought it was pretty good. One more question on the subject, if I may:

I was told we don't need to use filtered needles to draw from ampules because any glass particles will settle to the bottom. :excl:

This confuses me and personally, I believe we really need to use filtered needles because of two reasons. First, it simply seems risky to me to not use them. Filtered needles were created for a reason, and it seems logical that glass particles can be drawn up. Second, unless I've been taught or trained otherwise, I won't have a defensible reason if I ever cause harm by not using one.

I mean... if you ever cause detriment with this practice, how do you possibly explain your way out of it??? :sad:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I read another thread about the use of filtered needles and thought it was pretty good. One more question on the subject, if I may:

I was told we don't need to use filtered needles to draw from ampules because any glass particles will settle to the bottom. :excl:

This confuses me and personally, I believe we really need to use filtered needles because of two reasons. First, it simply seems risky to me to not use them. Filtered needles were created for a reason, and it seems logical that glass particles can be drawn up. Second, unless I've been taught or trained otherwise, I won't have a defensible reason if I ever cause harm by not using one.

I mean... if you ever cause detriment with this practice, how do you possibly explain your way out of it??? :sad:

Yep, you're right. The filtered needle is for drawing from ampules.

Tommerag

What day is it?

You cant. If your company uses glass ampules there's no reason they shouldn't have filtered needles.

Leanne

Forum Ride Along
We were told in theory that you could draw from the ampule holding it upside down. I haven't tried it so not sure if that is true or not.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We were told in theory that you could draw from the ampule holding it upside down. I haven't tried it so not sure if that is true or not.

It works just fine. That's how I draw up epi and narcan since my service doesn't carry filter needles (and neither did my old one in Texas or my old hospital)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

parapaulieFL

Forum Probie
??

Ive been in the field 10 years and never had an issue and I've always tipped up the amps like they teach in school. Ive actually never heard of glass shards in the amps. If that was a real big issue I don't imagine they would stay on the market.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cool reference and resourceful posting

Note study referred to was only for IV admin. Other studies show that a particulate filter downstream from any IV solution bag can be stopping particulates which occur as a result of manufacturing and filling. Since we aren't dropping them by the dozens, it must get by somehow, but if we can prevent damage, we ought to. (Blood is a whole different critter).

I had a hard time persuading my service to adopt filter needles, then my co-workers were sometimes guilty of not switching the needle out for a "smooth bore" one. Now, no more glass amps except epi.

PS: IV and subQ drug abusers often inject much larger quantities of inert material such as talc, and exhibit so-called sterile "silver dollar" abcesses in their muscles, and in some cases talc deposits visible on xray (as glass would not).

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
I'm not sure why glass ampules are even used anymore. I wish they would just do away with them all together.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Does anyone know why glass ampules are even used in the first place? Why not a 1-ml vial for, say, epi, rather than an ampule?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone know why glass ampules are even used in the first place? Why not a 1-ml vial for, say, epi, rather than an ampule?
Ease of manufacture mostly.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We have filtered needles (draw up) for brown glass ampoules, oh God how Brown hates glass ampoules

OP
OP
E

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member

The thing that confuses me is that they do make epi vials. I don't get it, either. If you have the choice, why oh why would you buy the amps? :unsure:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The thing that confuses me is that they do make epi vials. I don't get it, either. If you have the choice, why oh why would you buy the amps? :unsure:
They are cheap and honestly I've never had a problem while using them.

8jimi8

CFRN
The standard of care, is to use a filtered needle with glass ampules

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The standard of care, is to use a filtered needle with glass ampules
Yep. Of course the fix is to not use glass ampules unless you absolutely must. Because of cost reasons ($1.65 per amp of epi) it's cheaper to use those than to crack open a 30 mg vial and use that maybe once before you have to consider it expired. It's not that hard to remember to use one needle to draw from and another for injection - especially if the two look very different...