FF1 Required - Not terribly thrilled

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yea yea yea. Showoff.

For the record, in no way am I advocating that EMS is stupid and can't learn it blah blah blah. What irks me is that people learn it once and never care to learn it again. If firefighters here do understand it, it is for the simple fact that they have trained and refreshed their knowledge more frequently than once every 10 years.

My volunteer establishment I can't say the same. We are like most, minimalists.

Where I am from all FFs have to be trained to ops level. It is one of the good things the fire services brings to EMS.

Many places, especially privates, have no hazmat training at all. Not even awareness.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Where I am from all FFs have to be trained to ops level. It is one of the good things the fire services brings to EMS.

Many places, especially privates, have no hazmat training at all. Not even awareness.

I believe in my volunteer region that awareness is the requirement.

I took hazmat operations (all 14 hours of it) voluntarily.

Stubs

Forum Ride Along
Long time lurker First post...

Guess I'm Lucky to be in a smaller town. Im a Paid per call Volly. Currently taking my EMT-B. Granted my Fire Chief came from a big city Dept. So We Train. Alot. twice a month min.
Also anyone who joins has to take the FF1 and FF2 class when they come around.

Guess my big thing is why not be Crossed trained. Ever been in a Tech Rescue Scenario? Thats why im taking EMT. So the next time I have to go over the side of a Grain elevator 120' to the ground with a patient I can have some extra confidence on the way down. Good luck trying to convince a strictly Volly EMT their going over the side.

FF1 is a stepping stone to EVERY other National Cert in the Fire Service. Have to have it to do "ANYTHING" else.

Just another perspective.

OP
OP
M

mp5dude

Forum Probie
I'm not terribly excited, but I joined the Fd to help my community and by going through this, I'm able to help that much more.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Are you guys not required to do annual trainings/refreshers on things that aren't used often?

Maybe I work for an agency that's out of the norm but we're required to do annual HAZMAT, LZ, blood borne pathogen, and MCI first response among other things.

OP, if you're volunteering at a volunteer Fire Department that also does EMS I don't understand what your issue is? You're a member of a fire department, them requiring you to have a basic firefighting certification is definitely not out of line. Like Vene said, having the cert doesn't mean you're going to be required to ride on the engine or do interior operations but it sure as hell does make you more useful on those rare working structure fires when it comes to exterior operations as well as just knowing what's going on around you and how fireground operations work.

I work for a single roll EMS agency and when I'm on fire standbys I feel completely clueless as to what is going on. Despite popular belief firefighting is a bit more complex than "put the wet stuff on the hot stuff".

The training is free, what's the big deal about taking a class and getting to keep your volly gig?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
There are certain aspect of firefighting that actually can help EMS providers do their jobs better.

Like learning not to park in a puddle of flammable liquid so you can get the rig closer to the patient.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are certain aspect of firefighting that actually can help EMS providers do their jobs better.

Like learning not to park in a puddle of flammable liquid so you can get the rig closer to the patient.

That's just common sense...I've been noticing it isn't so common though.

Got to give my FTO an earful during my medic FTO period for doing exactly that. Parked right in the middle of a giant puddle of diesel. Of course didn't do the tongue-lashing until after I was laying flat on my back covered in diesel fuel.

FirefighterEMT

Forum Ride Along
Ff1

I went through Firefighter 1 and it was awesome learned so much more than in other firefighting classes. It was very hands on and very fun. Hope your in decent shape because it is challenging but if you like being a firefighter youll love Firefighter 1