FF Parole Crews

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No, they are still prisoners, and after they are done, they go back to the prison, under the the custody of the COs

If they're part of an inmate crew, yes, you're correct.

This story is about an ex-con who was on an inmate crew then made parole and now works as a Wildland FF.

It then goes on to talk about seeking funding for a parolee hand crew. Which means they've made parole and are now out of prison thus no requirement for a CO as part of the crew. They're no longer in custody if they're a parolee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If it's a paroolee crew, why does the dept of corrections need to be involved? And by that I mean, prisoners are cheaper, and parolees could try to get hired, if they can pass the background check

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If it's a paroolee crew, why does the dept of corrections need to be involved? And by that I mean, prisoners are cheaper, and parolees could try to get hired, if they can pass the background check

They don't? I never said they did...

The article talks about DOC crews as well and how the prisoners involved in DOC crews do better than those who just sit in prison serving their time. Right after it mentions asking for a budget for parolee crews.

I'm assuming the DOC may be involved as it could potentially be a part of Parole & Probation a la @NysEms2117

You wouldn't need COs to supervise the team but parolees do still have to check in, making it part of P&P could streamline that process. Doesn't mean a P&P officer has to be present, just that it's part of that budget and has oversight from that department. That's pure speculation though at this point since the article didn't go into detail as to who they were asking to provide the money.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Hey uhm dr parasite. I work for NYSDOCCS, in the capacity of a state parole officer. New York State Department of CORRECTIONS and Community Supervision. When people are on parole, they still get watched and observed... If I had a caseload and 8 people worked the same shift in the same place, would it make logical sense to go there to do 8 work visits(since that's part of our job description, but I'm sure you knew that) at once.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Saw a briefing from a chief one time

"You are all firefighters here....treated as men first..... Firefighters second.....inmates if we have to"