Fever/chills

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Someone mentioned street drugs. 0100 and a younger patient ecstasy would be a possibility. Malignant hyperthermia would usually present as altered though if I'm not mistaken?

Probably would -- I've seen a few patients who were altered due to MDMA, Ecstacy, and those sorts of "club drugs." They are pretty altered (and sweaty, ewwww). The best tx for MDMA or Ecstacy-related hyperthermia at the BLS would probably be rapid cooling, with AED and BVM ready to go, and rapid transport. If you can get ALS coming, you'd probably be best to do it -- seizure activity might occur, as could cardiovascular problems (so ALS is indicated to provide benzos, IV fluids, and possibly cardiac monitoring).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If it's a true MDMA OD and hyperthermic they'd absolutely be going on the monitor. Dysrhythmias and SCA aren't all that unheard of in MDMA ODs.

With that said, if you're close to the hospital just go, don't wait for us to show up so we can put some stickers on and monitor them.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If it's a true MDMA OD and hyperthermic they'd absolutely be going on the monitor. Dysrhythmias and SCA aren't all that unheard of in MDMA ODs.

With that said, if you're close to the hospital just go, don't wait for us to show up so we can put some stickers on and monitor them.

Makes sense. I'm curious how common SCA is (in these types of OD's) -- I can't really do much for a dysrythmia without a monitor (as a BLS provider), but I can surely help for SCA.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Makes sense. I'm curious how common SCA is (in these types of OD's) -- I can't really do much for a dysrythmia without a monitor (as a BLS provider), but I can surely help for SCA.

I have an article about it laying around here somewhere. If I can find it I'll try to find a scanner and post it up or post a link if there is one.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an article about it laying around here somewhere. If I can find it I'll try to find a scanner and post it up or post a link if there is one.

Cool, thx! I expect to see a lot of ODs of this sort in the coming fall season...woohoo <_<

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Just curious, (not trying to sharpshoot) but how did we do from sore throat and fever to illicit drug use? The time of morning of the call?

Who here has seen a true MDMA OD? Was their chief complaint chills, malaise, and sore throat?

The typical presentations ive faced have been hot/dry skin, agitation or obtundation, rigors (not shivers) , and tachyarrythmias.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Just curious, (not trying to sharpshoot) but how did we do from sore throat and fever to illicit drug use? The time of morning of the call?

Who here has seen a true MDMA OD? Was their chief complaint chills, malaise, and sore throat?

The typical presentations ive faced have been hot/dry skin, agitation or obtundation, rigors (not shivers) , and tachyarrythmias.

Oh, I was sort of just expanding on the MDMA OD comments. Certainly not seen sore throat as a complaint for that. Sort of got off track. MDMA OD complaint was none -- because they were so agitated or obtunded. Had one MDMA OD involving a seizure, but fortunately, ALS was there for that part. They were tachy, as well. And hot. Very hot. I've seen sweaty MDMA users who were pretty out of it, but not a call for one.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
yeah, was just checking to make sure people weren't correlating the time of the call to drug shenannegans.

"Call me at 1am, eh druggy? Enjoy your ice sheets, sh*tbag."

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Sorry, that's mostly my fault. Just saw something about it and expounded on it from the hyperthermia standpoint. I highly doubt the specific scenario at the beginning of the thread was an MDMA OD.