Fentanyl; Why even carry Morphine?

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know if I told ya WTEngel, but I had one such patient, a 17yo with an arm fx.

You want to have the crap scared out of you as a provider? Have a ped with chest wall rigidity from the Fentanyl you gave... Narcan doesn't do anything to help.

Aaaand what was the dose you gave?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Wat?

Where did you get this info from?! Protocol says either one.

5-17

I talked with dr. Gardner at MoH. She is our med director. She said we have the option for both, but morphine is for chest pain, and fentanyl for pain. Unless the pt is allergic to fentanyl then they get morphine.

But fentanyl is preferred.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not to nitpick but how about vasodilatory effects reducing afterload, workload and MvO2? :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Not to nitpick but how about vasodilatory effects reducing afterload, workload and MvO2? :)

In regards to? Who was that question aimed for?

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do people have it in their head that different drugs of the same class aren't ultimately equal in strength assuming the dose is equivalent.

For example most people I talk to seem to believe that the reason we don't give people fentanyl over morphine is because it's too strong and they don't need that much pain relief most times... Do they not get that we are giving 10mg morphine as an equal to 100mcg of fentanyl? (roughly)