Feeling unprepared. Questions.

nemm

Forum Ride Along
New to the forums. Hope this is posted in the right section.

I took my EMT-B course over summer with a passing grade, passed my NREMT last month and finally got my LA county card to work. I've just started ato apply at different ambulance companies and hope to get hired soon.

I am now starting to think about my first shift that is to come. For some reason i feel really unprepared. Maybe I'm just nervous about it, but honestly I'm going to be lost in what to do when it comes down to treating a patient properly. I'm afraid of doing something wrong, I'd hate to look like an idiot when my partner tells me to do something and I'm clueless on how to do it.

Now my question for those EMT's out there is did most of you feel this way?
Also, how long did it take you to treat a patient comfortably with no worries?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Congrats, and welcome to the family.

Usually when you get hired you spend a few shifts (or in the case of a MICU, a few weeks) doing ride alongs as third man. When they feel confident you can handle it as a full member of the crew, they take you off third man. Every paid service I've ever worked for has done this, so you'll have time to get used to being in the field.

It's entirely common to be afraid of looking like you don't know what you're doing. But here's the thing: it clicks. Everything comes together in your mind, and eventually it becomes second nature. Just learn from your mistakes and don't make them again. The confidence will come.

Part of the reason you feel unprepared is probably because you ARE unprepared. But they do that on purpose. Most EMT programs I've heard of give you the meat and potatos, but leave other things out. Why? They want you to learn by doing. They want you to gain that experience in the field. Don't worry... nobody will force you into it if you don't feel ready yet.

Oh, and...

how long did it take you to treat a patient comfortably with NO worries?

No such thing...

Buzz

Forum Captain
I felt that way at first, even after the field training shifts I did after getting hired into my service, probably because much of my field training was done on critical care transports so I was unable to do much and didn't have much rescue experience. When I got put onto my regular shift (midnights) I felt a little unprepared on the routine things--paperwork, admissions, discharges, contacting the hospital to give a radio report. It got easier, mainly because the people I worked with helped me through it.

There's no such thing as treating a patient with no worries, at least to me. I'll always be looking for things that worry me. I've had plenty of "routine" calls turn into a Priority 1.
It took me about two months to get comfortable treating a patient. It was after getting a severe trauma patient that I realized this. We walked onto the scene and there was just so much to be done, so I began delegating tasks to personnel. Everything from school clicked at that one moment.

I'll never be able to treat a patient with no worries though.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, we're not supposed to worry? Wow, um, I'm in trouble.

But seriously, you'll probably run with an FTO (Field Training Officer) for a while. When your FTO is comfortable with your skills then you'll get *your* shift. Like NEPA said, during your time with your FTO, generally you on on their shift, working as their partner's partner, with the FTO stepping in if you go off track. And it does all click when you start seeing it for real.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The reason you feel unprepared and afraid of screwing up is because you care about doing the job well. This is a good thing. With time and experience this will fade and then suddenly on a trainwreck code, it can sneak back up on you. It is normal. The key is to not let it paralyze you but to motivate you to increase your knowledge base and keep up on your skill set.

Besides, the feeling of relief after the call is over is usually directly proportionate to the sphincter factor during it.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Ditto with everyone else's response, just throw yourself into it, Dont be afraid to ask questions about what you dont know or understand and your partner(s) will help you.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
New to the forums. Hope this is posted in the right section.

I took my EMT-B course over summer with a passing grade, passed my NREMT last month and finally got my LA county card to work. I've just started ato apply at different ambulance companies and hope to get hired soon.

I am now starting to think about my first shift that is to come. For some reason i feel really unprepared. Maybe I'm just nervous about it, but honestly I'm going to be lost in what to do when it comes down to treating a patient properly. I'm afraid of doing something wrong, I'd hate to look like an idiot when my partner tells me to do something and I'm clueless on how to do it.

I know exactly how you feelin. During our ride alongs, i was a nerve wreck. I was so nervous the paramedic even thought i was altered. But after a few calls and letting me work on the patient it started to click in. Then again i was still nervous getting calls after calls. After a few calls it'll make you want to get into it more so you can brush up on your skills. Everybody has this problem i believe, just gotta believe and trust what you learn in your class.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
welcome to the club

You know more than you think you do.

Having said that, I feel totally unqualified to do anything, and hate that "oh *&%@" moment when I figure out I'm the one everyone is looking to to fix whatever is going south at the time.
Classes, training,practice.

I like running worst case scenarios through my head, and trying to figure out what to do if that's what I'll come across on scene...then by the time I get there, it's never as bad as it could have been.

OP
OP
N

nemm

Forum Ride Along
Thanks alot everybody for all the replies, just by reading everyones post is starting to make me gain more confidence already. Must thanks.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome and take a deep breath!

Stay safe and keep on learning, and ALWAYS ask questions! As my mother said it is a good thing to always have a little healthy "fear" for your job, it teaches you the respect that you must have for your profession! ;)

P.S. And welcome to the tribe!! :);):)