Federally Mandated Minimum Wage for EMTs and Paramedics Petition

Summit

Critical Crazy
You do realize that CMS is doing anything and everything it can to pay LESS, not more. Despite how much they try to sell it as improving care, the only thing they really give a crap about is paying less.
Hey! You stop bringing reality into this situation right now!!! LALALALALALALALALLALALA!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If a service accepts Medicare, I'm sure there's a loophole where the president can order that payments not be made to services who don't pay their employees X or more.
And that will be the end of many, many EMS agencies.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
I don't really have a problem with the pay. Its more than most jobs. And the job isn't really as physically hard as some minimum wage jobs I've had.

$13/hour is what I get paid as an emt-b. And amr is starting paramedics at 40k/year fresh out of paramedic school. And for okc. That's above average income.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Problem with a nationwide minimum wage is that companies will pay it: and in a lot of cities they will not be able to get many employees because it will not be a living wage: in other areas you will be 'rich'.

When I worked in Indianapolis I made approx. $15 an hour and owned a house and was able to pay my bills (and get a little more ahead each month). Here in NW Utah I get $20+ an hour and rent and get farther ahead each month.
Neither pay rate is enough if you live in most of California, or major cities.

So if the minimum wage is made $20 an hour and you work in NYC your are screwed

VinBin

Forum Captain
If you guys really want to raise the wages of EMT's just start colluding with each other to stop applying for jobs and/or pursuing it as a career. It's supply and demand, just reduce supply and you'll find that the "minimum wage" starts to go up magically...

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any slowdown in the supply of individuals willing to go into EMS or fire service.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Minimum education= minimum wage. Want better pay? Raise national education standards and make all 911/IFT services paid and professional departments.

"Why would I pay you to do this job when someone else will do it for free?"

FlamingFirefox

Forum Probie
There are 4 groups of emts and medics out there right now which is why we have so much "supply" out there.
1. The ones that will do the job at any cost and for whatever pay and will stay there forever with complaints or none.
2. The ones just doing it just until they get into nursing school, medical school or fire school,then leave.
3. The ones that have a profession related to medicine or not, have another source of income that gives them plenty and EMS is just a side gig.
4. The adventure seekers that aren't cutout for the job and quit once burnout.
So as long fresh blood comes into any of these 4 groups of EMS it will keep going the same way for a long time.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My agency just posted for full time EMT and Road Supervisor positions

Associates degrees required for EMTs, Bachelors for Road Sups.....Im very excited
full time or part time supervisors? can you PM me details? what type of shifts?

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Two of the other petitions listed on the same page were to ban "Meet the Flockers" and declare India a terrorist state. Both have achieved their hoped for goal of 100k signatures.

Righteous

Forum Probie
Looking to employer for more money? Just start that shift towards a higher paying job. In the field or otherwise. Stop wasting time. Go now.