FDNY EMS Candidates

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
Thanks. Did you choose day or night?
Day. I got some good advice on here and from friends who recently graduated. Honestly I'm up around 5am to get to study session at 6am. But you can see the difference in the people. The guys and girls in the am class were on top of their stuff. We started with 60 and all 60 are graduating. The instructors in the academy are awesome but the am instructor is awesome. Puts his all into the students and really cares about everyone graduating. Pm is more laid back but am is out by 3pm. My advice. Take the am class man. Any questions you have let me know. Believe me I was in your spot asking 80 questions a day.

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Day. I got some good advice on here and from friends who recently graduated. Honestly I'm up around 5am to get to study session at 6am. But you can see the difference in the people. The guys and girls in the am class were on top of their stuff. We started with 60 and all 60 are graduating. The instructors in the academy are awesome but the am instructor is awesome. Puts his all into the students and really cares about everyone graduating. Pm is more laid back but am is out by 3pm. My advice. Take the am class man. Any questions you have let me know. Believe me I was in your spot asking 80 questions a day.

There's a study session?

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
There's a study session?
Yeah 6am. You'll see when u get there man. Pm class has to come in early to go to study sessions. Another thing, we end our day with PT. we get dressed and go home. PM has to do PT then change back into their shirt and ties and then start their day all sweaty and what not. Choose what u want but I'd highly recommend the AM class if you have the option. You won't regret it

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Yeah 6am. You'll see when u get there man. Pm class has to come in early to go to study sessions. Another thing, we end our day with PT. we get dressed and go home. PM has to do PT then change back into their shirt and ties and then start their day all sweaty and what not. Choose what u want but I'd highly recommend the AM class if you have the option. You won't regret it

Yeah I'll definitely keep what you said in mind. Thanks for the info.

Jimazz

Forum Lieutenant
It is correct ? They don't give it every 2 years. So it's not correct. Doesn't pertain to present day lol so at this point that information isn't valid with the present day. JMAZZ, dude get on before the promo and you'll be fine. If not take PD or whatever u gotta do. Good luck guys

Im at the top of 6004. Idt ill be on before filing starts if they do it before the oc. However theres a chance ill be able to file for the next promo before i turn 29 so lets see how that goes. I already have a career in another field. I was pretty over doing this, i got 3in1d the last time i went through this but my ex convinced me to take the test again because she has a thing for firefighters lol. Ill see how it goes, if not i wont be devestated

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
Im at the top of 6004. Idt ill be on before filing starts if they do it before the oc. However theres a chance ill be able to file for the next promo before i turn 29 so lets see how that goes. I already have a career in another field. I was pretty over doing this, i got 3in1d the last time i went through this but my ex convinced me to take the test again because she has a thing for firefighters lol. Ill see how it goes, if not i wont be devestated
I hear ya man. Doesn't hurt to take it as far in the process as you can and when they call u for the academy you can decide what you want to do.

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
"The promotional is supposed to be given every 2-4 years" it's no longer 2 years bro. So if promo is this year. The next would wouldn't be 2018 because then nobody off the open competitive would have a fair chance if they just keep putting in emt/paramedics. You're on the job SIEMTB?

I said that because there are always rumors that they may go back to 2 years because they need EMTs and they know that draws people in to apply. Everyone knows it 4 years but me saying its every 2-4 makes no difference to someone wanting info because I gave them all the info they needed, both past and present.

And no, I'm not yet personally but I have a father and an uncle who is an officer for fire, multiple cousins as firefighters as well, and a cousin on EMS for FDNY who he personally told me they heard rumors, as there are always rumors, that they MAY go back to 2 years but it's just talk like how they thought the fire OC was going to be April 2016 until last year.

nacholibre27

Forum Probie
the academy is a lot of fun guys. just don't ever be late for anything. they hate that above everything else. that's the one thing that can get u fired quickly. if you're ever late you'll have some form of punishment.
parking: if u don't want to end up parking far away from the building you'll be in for the day, get there early enough. read signs and don't ever park in the instructor parking lot. there's limited parking in the two student lots. it fills up fast. especially with emts doing refresher. there's parking across the field by building 325. that fills up fast.
just drive around you'll find a spot eventually. even if u get there 10min before roll call you'll miss it cause u probably won't find parking that easy at that time. show up much earlier.
be respectful to everybody. even the emts that you'll see around doing refresher. everyone is sir or madam. you'll get more on those rules when u get there.
try to get and stay in shape. you'll be doing a lot of pt the first few weeks. then less pt towards the end. get ready to run a lot. lot of jumping jacks. mountain climbers etc. it's all fun tho. a.m class gets to do pt end of their day but with p.m class since it's at the start u get to shower before u go to lecture/skills after. try to get personal locker room things (soap, body spray, deodorant, flip flops for the shower etc) they'll give u the full list. and get a combination lock.
never forget the big red bag that you'll get from quartermaster with all your gear. have it everyday. don't leave it at home. you'll be married to that bag. it'll get annoying carrying it around but u got no choice.
try to keep everything u get from quartermaster together. don't lose gloves, your tie, your hat, etc. , trust me they can get misplaced easily. and you'll have to pay replace them. for anyone that will go to quartermaster to pick up items the first time, try to get a ride there. it'll be really tough taking the bus with all that stuff. my trunk was full.
at the end of it you'll be a better emt. just study and know your stuff. be confident.

had fun today marching in the st patricks day parade. less than 2 weeks to graduation!

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
How is pt. What do you do daily.

JohnB151

Forum Probie
Found out today exam number 5003 next class is in july lady in charge of investigation told us and we all have high list numbers

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
I believe it's January, april, July, October. There may be more, not 100% sure.