Falsely advertising being a paramedic ?

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
What do you do when you know someone is falsely advertising that they're are a paramedic when they are only an EMT B. Do they have to be actively working for them to get in trouble ? Or can they just get in trouble for running around telling people they're one when they're not ? Who do you report it to, and what will happen ?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Are they wearing any gear they are a medic? Are they in medic school and soon will actually be one? It's not good to say you are a medic when you are not. There are surely some states that would be very interested in someone saying they are something but are not. I have read that some states have laws on the book that say even if you are a medic or EMT in another state you must be licensed in that state to identify as such.

Bottom line: don't advertise what you aren't. You can say, "I will be a medic" or "I want to be" but not that you are if you really aren't.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Are they wearing any gear they are a medic? Are they in medic school and soon will actually be one? It's not good to say you are a medic when you are not. There are surely some states that would be very interested in someone saying they are something but are not. I have read that some states have laws on the book that say even if you are a medic or EMT in another state you must be licensed in that state to identify as such.

Bottom line: don't advertise what you aren't. You can say, "I will be a medic" or "I want to be" but not that you are if you really aren't.

No student, no gear, no patch, not "fixing" to be one, just running around telling people, and posting that they are when not.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
It is illegal in Texas. If they're not actually wearing the patch or representing themselves officially or professionally, they usually won't do anything except maybe send them a letter of warning. They don't have the personnel to go chasing people down if they aren't actually impersonating. If, however, it does become a case of impersonating, they will pay a personal visit and may or may not file charges. They just don't have the staff to get too involved in prosecutions that aren't patient care related. At the very least, they will revoke the basic certification, probably for good. Just call DSHS and tell them. You'll be surprised how fast they are on it.

One place I worked hired a guy claiming to be a basic. When I became the manager, I reviewed all personnel credentials and his didn't add up. Two TDH inspectors showed up to physically rip the patch off of his shoulder and hand him a cease and desist letter. He wasn't a basic, or anything else. He was just a guy who flunked out of EMT school and xeroxed someone else's card. H's lucky he wasn't prosecuted. That was many years ago though, and I hear they are more aggressive now.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Whew...good thing I never got caught in those states that limit speech to such extreme. To think of all the girls I may have missed out on or all the times I could of been charged for pulling the old " I am a doctor" routine in the bars...

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Unfortunately, it is not a protected title in the US so people can call themselves a paramedic if they choose. The problem comes if they are using their made up title to gain employment, or if they are acting beyond their scope of practice.

Personally, I think everyone laying claim to the title should be on "the register" - that way there would be no doubt, and might even weed out a few wanabees and fantasists.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Unfortunately, it is not a protected title in the US so people can call themselves a paramedic if they choose. The problem comes if they are using their made up title to gain employment, or if they are acting beyond their scope of practice.

Personally, I think everyone laying claim to the title should be on "the register" - that way there would be no doubt, and might even weed out a few wanabees and fantasists.

False. There are states, such as Colorado and Mississippi, that make it illegal to claim you are an EMT or a paramedic unless you are one and licensed in that state.

On the bus or in plain clothes, it's illegal to say "I am a paramedic" (in those states) if you are not.

benkfd

Forum Crew Member
I believe that in Indiana you can have ANY medical certification below paramedic that you have yanked PERMANENTLY if you claim to be a paramedic and your not. I would have to look it up again to be sure.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
False. There are states, such as Colorado and Mississippi, that make it illegal to claim you are an EMT or a paramedic unless you are one and licensed in that state.

On the bus or in plain clothes, it's illegal to say "I am a paramedic" (in those states) if you are not.

Interesting.

Could you possibly direct me to a credible reference to back that up, as I have just the person in mind i would like to show it to.

Thanks

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting.

Could you possibly direct me to a credible reference to back that up, as I have just the person in mind i would like to show it to.

Thanks

Checking.....

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
I know we have something to the effect of impersonating a public servant in Texas, but Im not sure exactly what the criteria is for breaking this law.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok, a quick (very quick) search of CO EMS laws reveals "6 CCR 1015-3" which has a list of definitions. It says for EMT-Basic:

2.7 "Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-Basic)" – An individual who has a current and valid
EMT-Basic certificate issued by the Department and is authorized to provide basic emergency
medical care in accordance with BME rules

So it's clear that you have to be licensed BY THEM in order to be called an EMT-Basic. I am searching for the rules about identifying yourself.

I only know this about CO as I was going there for a summer music festival a few summers ago and was volunteering in their first aid tent in order to get a free pass. I called the CO EMS folks to ask about licensing and how I could identify myself. Their director of licensing told me it's illegal to call yourself an EMT if you are not licensed in that state.

benkfd

Forum Crew Member
Ms.
I don't know who keeps track of you cert/license in Texas (Indiana it's DHS) but I would check with them to see what they say about it.

Fragger

Forum Probie
There is quiet a difference between a "certificate "and a "license".
I carry an EMT-B certification from the Lone Star State, just my 2 cents .
Ok, a quick (very quick) search of CO EMS laws reveals "6 CCR 1015-3" which has a list of definitions. It says for EMT-Basic:

So it's clear that you have to be licensed BY THEM in order to be called an EMT-Basic. I am searching for the rules about identifying yourself.

I only know this about CO as I was going there for a summer music festival a few summers ago and was volunteering in their first aid tent in order to get a free pass. I called the CO EMS folks to ask about licensing and how I could identify myself. Their director of licensing told me it's illegal to call yourself an EMT if you are not licensed in that state.

Fragger

Forum Probie
Texas Department of Health keeps the records:wacko:
Ms.
I don't know who keeps track of you cert/license in Texas (Indiana it's DHS) but I would check with them to see what they say about it.

benkfd

Forum Crew Member
There is quiet a difference between a "certificate "and a "license".
I carry an EMT-B certification from the Lone Star State, just my 2 cents .

True, I wasn't sure what y'all had in Texas.:)

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Here's what the NYS BEMS has to say.

The NYS Department of Health does not issue any type of patch, shield or other worn insignia. In accordance with PHL § 3004(4) a Regional Emergency Medical Services Council (REMSCO) may issue, "uniform emergency technician insignia and certificates".

A person who chooses to wear a patch, shield or other insignia may only indicate on such, the level of care that they are certified by the Department to practice at. To do otherwise would be indicating certification not held by the provider which might also constitute a criminal offense.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/03-08.htm[

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
What I love is that the public seems to view us as either paramedics or ambulance drivers, no in between.

I always tried to correct folks, and tell them that I am an EMT, not either of the above options, and tried to explain to them the varying levels of EMT and how they are different. But it can be tiring doing it over and over and over again.

So, usually anymore, I let them go with "Ambulance Driver."

But I have never let the "Paramedic" thing slide, though. I want to be a medic, and want it to mean something when I actually get there. Letting people think anyone with a semester of training is a paramedic just waters that down.