Falck purchases Gerber Ambulance

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
How would you know all this?

Its fairly common knowledge. They almost lost it last year and many employees were told they may not have jobs if they loose the contract. This was around the time they lost Santa Monica too.

TeamCutz

Forum Probie
Its fairly common knowledge. They almost lost it last year and many employees were told they may not have jobs if they loose the contract. This was around the time they lost Santa Monica too.

This false statement is recycled every year from gossiping EMTs and Medics in the area that's why it's fairly common knowledge -

Torrance City Council has approved Care to operate in Gerber's place when the buyout is official. TFD has ZERO choice in who their 911-contract is, although they can make recommendations, it boils down to Torrance City Council, and Gerber's blood is Torrance. Torrance is all about "keeping it local" when it comes to city services.

blueprint

Forum Probie
This false statement is recycled every year from gossiping EMTs and Medics in the area that's why it's fairly common knowledge -

Torrance City Council has approved Care to operate in Gerber's place when the buyout is official. TFD has ZERO choice in who their 911-contract is, although they can make recommendations, it boils down to Torrance City Council, and Gerber's blood is Torrance. Torrance is all about "keeping it local" when it comes to city services.

It'll be interesting to see if TFD recommands CARE/Gerber or a new provider as their ambulance provider in October when the Contract is up.

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
I work for Falck in the East, this will make it much better for me to move out (transfer) West some day if Falck continues to gobble up companies out West.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well they have operations in Washington and Cali. Just need one in Oregon and you will have your pick of the west coast.

LAKings

Forum Probie
TFD has ZERO choice in who their 911-contract is, although they can make recommendations, it boils down to Torrance City Council, and Gerber's blood is Torrance. Torrance is all about "keeping it local" when it comes to city services.

Thank you. couldn't have said it better myself.

JAMedic

Forum Probie
I'm late to the thread, Falck acquired Alford Services here in Southeast Louisiana, which was just a safety company, not in the EMS business, then tried to start an ambulance service down here in 2008 ish. Acadian has a monopoly in these parts (which isn't a bad thing), and Falck's plan was to take over the IFT contracts, and eventually get the 911 contracts. Well that didn't work too well cause nobody wanted to leave Acadian. They even had some ambulances painted up..

GygT23U.png

jlz3Lc7.png

r5Yoi3H.png

YnwdiLN.png

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I don't think they are too worried about a failed operation. Since they have been successful in other parts of the us.

chipper

Forum Ride Along
It is true the City Council has approved Care to take over for Gerber if the sale goes through. However why has the sale not happened yet? Answer- Torrance just had their local elections and most of the City Council will be changing. I think Falck is waiting to see what will happen after that. The new council can turn around and tell Gerber to kick rocks and move another company in.