Failed The NREMT 3 times - Refresher in Los Angeles/Long Beach

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
We have the highest success rate for first time pass rate on NREMT testing in the state.

And NREMT is silly. Emphasis on a systematic way of doing assessments and other skills while ignoring any and every other variable.

Their style of testing is not even close to what your average person would be use to. I have yet to have a problem with their test, and maybe it's because there is a lot of judgment based questions there and I happen to make the right judgment call.

What you seem to not be including is that this person has passed their EMT class, so obviously there is a difference in testing style that some people are unable to 'read.'

What sort of assessment to gauge competency would you suggest instead?

EMTJustinAmes

Forum Ride Along
Give this guy a break. I have been a low quality test taker ever since I was a kid. When it came to my practical, I passed it with flying colors, and I knew I passed because I knew what I was doing. When it came to my written, no matter how much I studied I didn't pass my Massachusetts State Exam (Before NREMT was available for MA). But if you ask me any of those questions face to face, I would have a better opportunity of getting that answer right.

My point is, when you are in the field you are not going to take a written test during your assessment. You are going to be hands on. Plus you will learn more in the field than in the classroom.

Give this kid the confidence to pass this test, because that's what I needed.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
From my experience and past pass rates the program I took was a high quality program. We had over 200 hours of class time, field trips and test prep days on top of it bringing total hours close to 240.
Now, that being said there was a particular student. He wasn't the best studier. He failed a couple tests and had a low GPA. I say GPA because it is a college course here.
However his care giving and critical skills were out of this world. His assessments were fantastic and he was on target with treatment.
Yes, I would want him working on my family. No he has not been able to pass the nremt. He struggles with tests.
I believe it has a lot to do with the way the questions are written and English being his second language.
He will likely need a refresher. He is a good provider.

There are situations out there making these tests difficult for some so I believe it is unfair for us to judge without knowing all the reasons.