Exposures

mtmedicman

Forum Ride Along
I just got off a MVA where the pt was drunk and ran from the scene for about a mile. When we got on scene we could see that his head went through the windshield. PD apprehended the guy about a mile from the scene. When we got there the guy is covered in his own blood from numerous lacs to the head and face. As we are getting him on the stretcher he spits blood onto my face and some got in my mouth and potentially eyes. The cops restrained the guy and we took him in..the whole time this guy is very combative. Now I have to wait 3 days to get the results back from my and his blood work. The good news is the cops charged him with assault and numerous other offenses. Anyone else ever feel like beating these morons that totally don't understand that we are here to help them?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This is a typical day for most of us....

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
Was he missing more teeth then he started with??

OP
OP
M

mtmedicman

Forum Ride Along
Actually the LEO's on scene offered some alone time with the pt in a room with no cameras or windows...very tempting but I like my job so I didn't. Anyways this guy didn't have a lot of teeth to begin with and I'm pretty sure he had limited liver function as well.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That just plain sucks. Exposure was one of my biggest fears in EMS, and in retrospect it happened more than I'd like to admit.

The reality of the situation is that most likely it's no big deal, but I understand that it doesn't make the next three days any easier for you. Please be sure to come back and keep us updated.

Take care,

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I just got off a MVA where the pt was drunk and ran from the scene for about a mile. When we got on scene we could see that his head went through the windshield. PD apprehended the guy about a mile from the scene. When we got there the guy is covered in his own blood from numerous lacs to the head and face. As we are getting him on the stretcher he spits blood onto my face and some got in my mouth and potentially eyes. The cops restrained the guy and we took him in..the whole time this guy is very combative. Now I have to wait 3 days to get the results back from my and his blood work. The good news is the cops charged him with assault and numerous other offenses.

Actually the LEO's on scene offered some alone time with the pt in a room with no cameras or windows...very tempting but I like my job so I didn't. Anyways this guy didn't have a lot of teeth to begin with and I'm pretty sure he had limited liver function as well.

For what it's worth, I'm proud of the way you handled this situation. I believe ems providers are true heroes. Not because of the rescues and high adrenalin fun stuff we do. But rather because of the unglamorous, unenviable, and even dangerous work such as what you've described above. Kudos to you.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I know you must be on pins and needles, but you took care of the patient, I agree you worked with the up-most of professionalism. I hope that things will go well.

Hubbie

Forum Probie
I've had an exposure like that before, it is really no fun. But three days? I know my status within a few hours.

Keep your head up, what you did for the pt was great.