Experience with Hall Ambulance?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
@gonefishing does hall Ambulance have a residency requirement? I applied as an EMT like three years ago but I was gung ho about fire back then (prob why they said no) and told them I wanted to stay in Santa Clarita, they told me they wanted me to move to Bakersfield. I hopefully will be getting my paramedic card in janurary and was looking into applying for Hall Again, But I currently live in chatsworth and don't want to move.
No. Nealy 1/2 of the hall employees live out of town. Some as far as Orange County. But you're expected to be on time every day. Distance doesn't exempt you. Many people share apartments in town to make it easier when they're in town for work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
No. Nealy 1/2 of the hall employees live out of town.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, maybe 1/4. A lot of people who end up staying eventually relocate. They used to offer a relocation bonus as well, but I'm not quite sure where they're at with that either.

Also, on another note Kern County EMS if going to start allowing its paramedics to downgrade to BLS units if, and when they deem the patient to be a BLS-able patient. Our company will be conducting mandatory training all of this month on this updated policy.

I spoke with our interim training manager, who's also my programs manager. He said the units will be allowed to rendezvous with a BLS unit when they're available, or that they can also have their EMT tech the call once the paramedic performs the assessment, and decides that the patient meets BLS criteria.

TLDR- any EMT's interested in applying and wanting "hands on" experience, this may end up being that opportunity. It sounds to essentially be a reverse intercept concept. It also actually makes sense...kinda scary.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
That's a bit of an exaggeration, maybe 1/4. A lot of people who end up staying eventually relocate. They used to offer a relocation bonus as well, but I'm not quite sure where they're at with that either.

Also, on another note Kern County EMS if going to start allowing its paramedics to downgrade to BLS units if, and when they deem the patient to be a BLS-able patient. Our company will be conducting mandatory training all of this month on this updated policy.

I spoke with our interim training manager, who's also my programs manager. He said the units will be allowed to rendezvous with a BLS unit when they're available, or that they can also have their EMT tech the call once the paramedic performs the assessment, and decides that the patient meets BLS criteria.

TLDR- any EMT's interested in applying and wanting "hands on" experience, this may end up being that opportunity. It sounds to essentially be a reverse intercept concept. It also actually makes sense...kinda scary.
You're right it was a bit excessive...

I was very excited to learn about that policy update. I think it will go a long way to reducing ALS provider fatigue and burn out, while simultaneously offering the EMT a new opportunity. It's they way my new service operates and it works well here.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was very excited to learn about that policy update. I think it will go a long way to reducing ALS provider fatigue and burn out, while simultaneously offering the EMT a new opportunity. It's they way my new service operates and it works well here.
Wouldn't it be something if they converted those supe coupes into intercept cars eventually? It's like not the supervisors get much use out of them anyhow.

How many days was Rome built in anyhow?...

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Wouldn't it be something if they converted those supe coupes into intercept cars eventually? It's like not the supervisors get much use out of them anyhow.

How many days was Rome built in anyhow?...
I agree. Perhaps they will get more time to actually be in their own vehicles rather than on an ambulance with this new change. All of our supervisors and admin staff all the way up to the top will first respond and actually are posted during low levels.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I realize that the intercept concept may not be cheap, but even 1-2 peak 8 hours with the converted suburbans would be sufficient.

If it was made available I'd be all over it like white on rice for overtime. Bonus if it's one paramedic per fly car. The remaining coupes can be left to the white shirts.

Kind of like when I worked metro night supe shifts, just make rounds and keep myself semi-close to the center of possibility.

I would also hope that they made those cars exclusively performance-based, meaning the sharper, more competent paramedics who've proven their merit and are mature enough to handle such tasks. It, IMO, should be a privilege and not your standard overtime shifts.

Reactions: NPO

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That actually sounds really cool, just one question though: why use Coupes that's just hard to get into and expensive to the same degree of a sedan and a little less useful. Unless they're talking about like Chevy Cobalts or something. Then again I'm a fat guy.

RocketMedic

I'm still...pondering CA. I want to stay in the field but use my book learning.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
That actually sounds really cool, just one question though: why use Coupes that's just hard to get into and expensive to the same degree of a sedan and a little less useful.
Practicality. They're already outfitted with the necessary ALS gear in them, and (rarely) utilized when the supervisors are not staffing units as first response vehicles.

They used to be utilized much more frequently when the supes were on them more than they're on ambulances, but current staffing issues dictate their fate.
https://hallamb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/HallMark-JulyAug2015FINAL.pdf

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
That actually sounds really cool, just one question though: why use Coupes that's just hard to get into and expensive to the same degree of a sedan and a little less useful. Unless they're talking about like Chevy Cobalts or something. Then again I'm a fat guy.
You misunderstood. The word coupe is used because they're refered to as "supe coupes" because the Supervisors drive them. They are in actuality, Chevy Suburbans, not actual coupes lol

64d1e69a0ed9289a42d4af434b54f538.jpg

RocketMedic

I was thinking little Chevy Cobalts lol.