Exercise... for fun?!?

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
I run 6 miles a day and then bench and do resistance work outs. Im 17. Im not going to stop working out, even after highschool. hehe =]

BlackOut

Forum Crew Member
Jay, thanks man... It's not so much that I didn't have stamina, I've been a fighter for years, and now fighting MMA I have to go out and do road work, but it just wasn't my favorite part. I mean mitts, sparring, heavy bag, etc... bring it, but just hated the distance running. Now I have to do it. ;) But if you stick with the walking part, you'll definitely drop weight. Also look at some lower impact things like spinning classes, or swimming. Running probably isn't the best idea, especially if your BMI is 25 or higher (adjusted), because of the wear and tear you'll put on your knees/legs. The flip side to that, is my BMI is .2 from "obese." (non-adjusted) Stick with it, it will help you in the long run... (hahaha, I kill myself...)
Jon, good for you man, keep it up, you'll feel better because of it.
Yeah, I have a black belt in Taekwondo and was doing it for awhile and it got kind of easy and so I moved onto Muay Thai kickboxing and did that for 3 years under Cung Le (NorCal legend)....then I moved on and wrestled for Wrestler Nation for a year, now I just moved onto MMA and have been training for a year. I fight for American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) in San Jose, CA. Big names come out of there, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, Josh Thomson, Mike Swick, Bobby Southworth.

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
Luno and emtff,

What's this I hear about a "runner's high"? I'm currently healing from a crash I had in late July; C2, C7 lateral mass, and L3 burst with vertebrectomy. Halo's been off for a couple of months. L3's growing back. Doing a lot of cardio/weights now, should get cleared to start using lower back and abs along with running next month when I'm cleared to start doing a work hardening program. Doing good on stair-stepper now, so running shouldn't be that big of a stretch... I hope.

Have you guys had much experience with runner's high? May sound stupid, but can you expect to get it. Or am I just reaching here?

It may not be such a myth after all. The first link is a blog from a trail runner with a bit too much free time but penned a very nice primer on the subject.

http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2005/01/understanding-runners-high.html

The really interesting part are the posted comments. It suggests that it may be more common than we think and is the pay off from getting our bodies to be able to tolerate certain threshold distances/workloads before the chemistry takes over.

Second is from WEbMD from a few years back:

http://www.webmd.com/news/20010927/is-runners-high-cure-for-depression

and if the egg-heads say so it must be true :rolleyes:

Take a look if you get time and I hope it helps

Tiffers

Forum Probie
So, I was kind of along the same lines of hating to run as you Luno... and started doing it a few years ago and learned to love it as well. The only problem was that it made the bad veins in my legs worse and more painful. So I've elected to go get the greater saphenous veins removed from both legs so I can jump back into the pattern of running again. It's been only a year, since I quit running and I believe people now when they say it becomes an addiction!

C2F2Girl

Forum Probie
I prefer exercise in disguise. Our dept. regularly has softball/football games which are not only fun but a great way to keep fit.