Essay Topic: Pharmacology

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Got assigned the topic of 'anything to do with pharmacology' for my next essay.. kinda broad, any suggestions to narrow it down? It only has to be 3 pages this time around! B)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Drug induced pulmonary toxicity (as in prescription drugs, like bleomycin, amiodarone, etc). LOL

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Got assigned the topic of 'anything to do with pharmacology' for my next essay.. kinda broad, any suggestions to narrow it down? It only has to be 3 pages this time around! B)

Something involving oxygen? I know it might be "simple" but it's pretty important!

Perhaps touch on oxygen toxicity and reperfusion injury?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
3 pages? That's about 600 to 800 words. That's not an essay, that's an introduction!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
The function of cAMP and its associated kinases (Particularly Protein Kinase A) in biochemical process and its role in drugs such as glucagon and epineprhine.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
How about CytoChrome P-450 and its affect on drug interactions and metabolism?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
How about picking an illness -- asthma, for example -- and summarizing the meds used to treat it prehospitally?

8jimi8

CFRN
Didn't read everyone's suggestions.

here's mine.

Pick an ACLS algorithm, then define the drugs and the mechanisms etc etc.

THEN write a little summary on what the literature says about how effective these medications are at producing ROSC.

BayArea

Forum Probie
Coumadin and effect on the coagulation cacade. Vitamin K, FFP, I.N.R. level, intrinsic, extrinsic pathways and use of Bebulin/Profilnine. Should take up a few pages...

BEorP

Forum Captain
How about picking an illness -- asthma, for example -- and summarizing the meds used to treat it prehospitally?

Given the length that is being requested I think that is a great idea. While summarizing the meds, you could also look at how much evidence there is to support each of them.