EMTs with long hair

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
"Signs" By the "Five Man Electrical Band", out of Canada. First released in 1970, became a hit upon re-release in '71. Great Song...check it out.

EDIT: Darnit, Sorry about the Dupe....vent beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
and it sure beats the hell out of the music from mine...which is why i've chosen to adopt yours...hope you don't mind.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Tesla does a much better version of Signs.... I think personally society puts to much emphasis on outward appearance specifically the way someone decides to wear their hair. I am all for professionalism but long as its clean and neat I say its all good. Diversity in the workplace!

I have a tattoo on the inside of my forearm, eyebrow pierced, and ears x5... my employer never said ne thing nor did ne of my patients.... except to compliment the tat!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Consider yourself lucky. My employer would had sent you home.. come back when you want to appear professional. We and as well as most health care have written dress codes that forbid wearing of facial piercings, tongue, publicly seen tattoo's and hair past the collar.

As wrong as it may seem, people judge by appearances first. the same reason LEO, professional status, and media cannot just wear what they want. Yes, I have had elderly request other health care providers because of appearances.. as well as even younger patients.

Again, the choice is yours. I do not disagree with that. Just don't go whining or complaining if the job market is not opening up to you. That is the consequences of your decisions.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
here in Phoenix they have a few indian guys who have long hair and dont have to cut it. and a guy down towmon engine 3 I believe with a big huge mustache and hair down to his midback. The native guys fought to keep the long hair for religious reasons I believe not sureabout the white guy. Oh ya and A few black dudes with longer cornrow/dreads. At my department we hve no long hair except for the women(woman), some guys keep some chin hair right to the jawbone, if they can keep a mask seal its ok I guess ut I think it looks unprofessional and is a health risk. I also work at a private ambo company part time and long hair and beards is a no-no as well.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
here in Phoenix they have a few indian guys who have long hair and dont have to cut it. and a guy down towmon engine 3 I believe with a big huge mustache and hair down to his midback. The native guys fought to keep the long hair for religious reasons I believe not sureabout the white guy. Oh ya and A few black dudes with longer cornrow/dreads. At my department we hve no long hair except for the women(woman), some guys keep some chin hair right to the jawbone, if they can keep a mask seal its ok I guess ut I think it looks unprofessional and is a health risk. I also work at a private ambo company part time and long hair and beards is a no-no as well.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
me!

I'm a long haired white guy. It's never been a problem for me. And like others have said, women (at least here) are *never* asked to alter their hair in any way.

It hasn't been a problem for me, and I've seen the occasional AMR employee (note: i don't work for AMR) with longer hair than mine. I have no facial hair and keep my head hair tied back in a ponytail when I'm at work anyway.

I think that in many places people have realized that it's kind of a silly thing to nitpick about. Tattoos & piercings everywhere look more unprofessional to me. Hair is just hair.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I agree for a private ambo service the long hair shouldnt be an issue. It is not a paramilitary org., like the fire of LE service. I think the facial hair is a healh issue due to mask, scba seal issues. Plus if women are allowed to have long hair and everyone is supposed to be treaeted as equals then men should be allowed as well givien they keep it within a certain set of reg's. for example puled back neatly into a pony tail, ect.

For the fire service, I disagree and do not like anyone having long hair, religious reasons or not. Thats just like someone who is musim saying they sould be allowed to have the beard. Just my opinion.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I think that hair needs to be pulled back, out of the face and not be used as a patient pull toy........As far as the girls go, that hair needs to be up and out of the way, this is not a fashion show!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Quick note to bring the conversation back a bit:

Let's not even think about Rabbis doing circumcisions!

About two years ago, there had been a whole scandal in NY with Rabbis and moyhels (practitioners) spreading herpes to infants during ritual circumcision. In fact, I recall they discovered that the beards and lips of the rabbis were infected!!
NYTimes said:
A circumcision ritual practiced by some Orthodox Jews has alarmed city health officials, who say it may have led to three cases of herpes -- one of them fatal -- in infants. But after months of meetings with Orthodox leaders, city officials have been unable to persuade them to abandon the practice.

The city's intervention has angered many Orthodox leaders, and the issue has left the city struggling to balance its mandate to protect public health with the constitutional guarantee of religious freedom.

''This is a very delicate area, so to speak,'' said Health Commissioner Thomas R. Frieden.

The practice is known as oral suction, or in Hebrew, metzitzah b'peh: after removing the foreskin of the penis, the practitioner, or mohel, sucks the blood from the wound to clean it.

It became a health issue after a boy in Staten Island and twins in Brooklyn, circumcised by the same mohel in 2003 and 2004, contracted Type-1 herpes. Most adults carry the disease, which causes the common cold sore, but it can be life-threatening for infants. One of the twins died.

Since February, the mohel, Rabbi Yitzchok Fischer, 57, has been under court order not to perform the ritual in New York City while the health department is investigating whether he spread the infection to the infants.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Give Me A Break!

That was SOOO outrageous, I had to take the time to really check it out myself and it was a really freaky thing to read, but you're not kidding!

Never in a million years did I suspect I was wrong about circumcision NOT being a dangerous procedure if offered by a Rabbi with long hair and/or beard, but Boy! This blew the lid offa that one!

HOWEVER...

That's what i loved about being a medic, Fiction faints beside what we experience!

So, listen up, Medics...just because you have short hair and no beards don't think you can, um...Uh, do...(no!) offer that procedure in the field.

It's not Kosher.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's my thought on perception of others. As a society over many decades, we have garnered this view or impression of what is an "acceptable" norm for dress and style and what elements of physical appearance may or may not signify good character traits. For example, a person with a polo shirt tucked in with dress pants and short trimmed hair must mean... "wow... this person must be a good family guy, works hard, honest, etc, etc". In contrast, a person with tattoos, piercings, long hair, dressed in all black, baggy clothes, etc, etc. must be a drug addict, immoral, slut/pimp, not very smart, etc, etc... Am I right? And this is the furtherest from the truth! and really disturbs me.

As a society, we have built this ideal of what elements of physical appearance parallels with good morals and character AND AS A SOCIETY WE CAN CHANGE THIS IDEAL AND PERCEPTION which has already started to happen. They're was a good article in EMS Magazine on recruitment (vol and career) that stated with young ppl entering the ranks of EMS, diversity and self expression needs to be accepted. Ppl graduating high school are of a new generation who accepts tattoos and piercings as a norm and these ppl are gonna be coming to a station near you! If you don't accept these ppl for who they are.... with their piercings and tattoos... you are gonna be pushing away a lot of great ppl.

RidRyder... your company wouldn't have a chance to send me home cause I wouldn't work for a company as superficial and ignorant as that. A company that isn't ne more diversified then that doesn't deserve my talents.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
That is correct what chimpie said. A majority of departments require that you keep your hair at shoulder length, unless your a female with long hair which then you have to have it up in a pony tail. As for beards and mustaches, they have to be trimmed as well.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I look at it as a kind of uniform. How we dress and our physical appearance is generally chosen because of a desire to fit in or belong to a particular group. The good news is that most of it is temporary.

I can wear my hair tied back, my polo shirt tucked in, my sensible shoes on calls. I can also wear my low heels, a modest amount of makeup, and a more professional wardrobe to my work, with my hair 'done'.

On the weekends, I can let my hair frizz out, wear more extreme make-up or none at all. I can put on 4 inch heels and a skirt up to my arse, or wear my husband's work shirt over a pair or jeans with holes in the knees.

All of these are choices I make based on how I want to appear and what particular social setting I'm fitting into. This is a choice. I choose to fit into those settings for reasons of my own. My future in my job is based on a professional appearance and needs to be in keeping with the expectations of the people who pay my salary. I choose to accept that expectation in return for a paycheck (quite a nice one actually)

I believe, that when expressing our 'individuality' becomes more important than the potential reward for being a part of a social group, than we need to understand that there may be repercussions. The big choice is, which is more important for us? But if you choose your desire to express your individuality as more important than societal expectations, than in my opinion, you lose your right to whine about not getting treated like 'everyone else'. You have decided that you aren't like 'everyone else' deal with it.

nirvanakat

Forum Ride Along
As a female, as long as I have my hair back in a ponytail or a bun, they never question it. The same goes for the males in our unit (volunteer ambulance).