Emt's must get there associate's degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Forum Crew Member
Not to sure how legit it is but i heard on the news they are going to try and make it to where u have to have your associates or you will no longer be a emt. So since i am one already am i safe? What about getting my nremt-p will i have to get my associates? This is ridiculous

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A few states tried this for medics but I don't believe it has taken off. Personally an associates should be the min for a Medic and the emt needs to be more than a couple hundred hours.
The NR only tests and gives certification. It is up to each state to set license standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Source?

Second, why is it ridiculous?

I think you will find many people, myself included, are very much pro education. Medicine is a very dynamic field, don't you think that having more education, which will help you better understand and function in this field, would be helpful?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I think it makes perfect sense. Eventually I could definitely see it becoming an AAS for EMT and a BS for Medic but that wont be any time soon from the looks of things.

If/when it does change I'd be willing to bet that those already certified will be grandfathered in. However possibly be required to get a degree in a certain amount of years or something of the sort like Vene suggested in his thread.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It is not ridiculous, especially if they include basic classes on English and grammar. An associates for a paramedic cert is very reasonable. EMT could easily be made a certificate program.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It is not ridiculous, especially if they include basic classes on English and grammar. An associates for a paramedic cert is very reasonable. EMT could easily be made a certificate program.

Isn't EMT already a certificate program? :unsure:

OP
OP
B

Blake

Forum Crew Member
Source?

Second, why is it ridiculous?

I think you will find many people, myself included, are very much pro education. Medicine is a very dynamic field, don't you think that having more education, which will help you better understand and function in this field, would be helpful?

From what i have seen 50% of ems would be going back to school. I dont know anyone that has there associates as a basic. There are so many p-med programs that would go down the drain. Its not a good idea to me

OP
OP
B

Blake

Forum Crew Member

Pretty sure it's a certificate program and we are talkin about doing away with that.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
From what i have seen 50% of ems would be going back to school. I dont know anyone that has there associates as a basic. There are so many p-med programs that would go down the drain. Its not a good idea to me

If we want to be recognized as a profession we need to increase our education standards as one of the steps. We can't keep complaining about being treated like "techs" when we don't do anything to try and fix it.

Sure some schools would go away, but many of those programs probably should go away. Medic mills aren't good for EMS or our patients.

OP
OP
B

Blake

Forum Crew Member
If we want to be recognized as a profession we need to increase our education standards as one of the steps. We can't keep complaining about being treated like "techs" when we don't do anything to try and fix it.

Sure some schools would go away, but many of those programs probably should go away. Medic mills aren't good for EMS or our patients.

I understand what your saying 100% but if they say look u get it or your done or even woese hit me up when u get it lol ems would go to hell if something like that happened.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Emt's must get there associate's degree?
College writing courses are extremely useful.

Aidey

As in a certificate program through a college. They are usually one full year or so. The school I went to had them for CNA, medical billing, automotive repair, phlebetomy, office manager and about 30 other things.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I couldn't disagree with you more. Your grammar should be reason enough.

This can be solved by EMTs being required to take college writing courses. I am a big advocate of this educational goal.

Aidey

I understand what your saying 100% but if they say look u get it or your done or even woese hit me up when u get it lol ems would go to hell if something like that happened.

EMS is already in hell, education is trying to drag it back out.

There is no need for an apostrophe in EMTs or associates. There and their are two different words and so are your and you're. 'u' is not a word, you is. Commas and periods are meant to be used (properly).

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

There is no need for an apostrophe in EMTs or associates. There and their are two different words and so are your and you're. 'u' is not a word, you is. Commas and periods are meant to be used (properly).

the_more_you_know2_My_Brain_its_melting-s549x362-109558-580.jpg

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to sure how legit it is but i heard on the news they are going to try and make it to where u have to have your associates or you will no longer be a emt. So since i am one already am i safe? What about getting my nremt-p will i have to get my associates? This is ridiculous

Not ridiculous. But it ain't coming anytime soon as an industry standard. I could see some states moving in that direction, but not across the board for the entire country.

Not Certificate as in a 120 Hour Program that provides a course completion record that allows someone to a certificate, but a compilation of college courses that provides a college certificate (a step bellow an AS). At the local college that would be:

EMT Training (7 units)
First Responder (3 units)
Pre-Paramedic or A&P (8 units)
Basic Skills for Occupational Success (3 units)
One of the following: Basic Cardiology, Conversational Spanish for the Medical Provider, Work Experience, or Skills Development Class (3 units)

The AS in EMS requires the above, except you have to have Cardiology, Conversational Spanish, and Skills Development (no choice, all of them), as well as a Statistical Math Class. 29 units total, plus there is all the GE on top of that; including several English classes and all the other arts, math, sociology, etc classes that make a more well-rounded person.

All I need is the "Basic Skills for Occupational Success" class for the College Cert, but I am back in school for an AS in an unrelated field, so meh... I might finish off the EMS Certification just because... in the course of getting my AS...

I dont know anyone that has there associates as a basic.

I do; several. Nothing wrong with an intelligent person who works as an EMT. I'll take one of them over 20 EMTs who completed a 3 week program while staying at a Holiday Inn Express. Doesn't necessarily make you a better EMT to have all that education, but it says something about your character and dedication to being an educated medical provider.

OP
OP
B

Blake

Forum Crew Member

Ok, this obviously is not going anywhere I wanted it to. If you guys are really worried about me spelling thing's short on a silly website then forget it. I'm done here sorry for not using proper grammar. I understand "u" is not a word but I also didn't know i was being graded for grammar. E.M.S. could use alot of help I agree but fire all the medic's that don't have the degree and good luck next time you call 911 because we are short handed enough as it is.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok, this obviously is not going anywhere I wanted it to. If you guys are really worried about me spelling thing's short on a silly website then forget it. I'm done here sorry for not using proper grammar. I understand "u" is not a word but I also didn't know i was being graded for grammar. E.M.S. could use alot of help I agree but fire all the medic's that don't have the degree and good luck next time you call 911 because we are short handed enough as it is.

A couple of quick corrections.
thing's=thing is -or- denoting possession by thing
medic's=medic is -or- denoting possession by the medic

I think you mean "things" and "medics". Making a word plural only requires adding the letter 's' to the end of it. An apostrophe s makes a contraction or denotes possession.

the_more_you_know2_My_Brain_its_melting-s549x362-109558-580.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

The only reason people are jumping on you is because you're advocating against something that people on here have strong opinions on.

Some rural areas may be short-handed but overall there is an over-saturation of qualified people when you compare it to the number of available jobs.

Don't let one thread drive you away from here. There is a TON of information and educational resources that this place offers. Most of the medics I know and work with either have at minimum an AAS if not a BS in something or are actively working in that direction. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to juggle going back for a bachelor's while working FT as a medic at the end of school.

I'll be honest, my medic program is a vocational program run by the agency I work for. It by no means is a medic mill but it still is only a certificate, no degree. If the educational standards increase I'm the first to admit that I'm behind the eight-ball when it comes to education.

edit: When it comes to grammar, yes it may just be an internet forum but have you ever heard the phrase "perfect practice makes perfect play?" If you get in the habit of using proper grammar no matter the context you are using it in, it's a whole lot easier to be consistent with it when you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.