EMT to RN question

pounders

Forum Ride Along
I am an EMT-B and am wanting to eventually go to schol for a BSN. My grades for my nursing prerequesites are not the best, however, so I am wondering if my EMT will help me out.

Will this experience help pick up some of the slack from my poor grades? They are good enough to meet the minimum requirements, but not competetive at all. How much weight will EMT-B carry with getting in?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Will this experience help pick up some of the slack from my poor grades?
No. If there is a minimum grade point average that must be met, then you must meet it. You may have to try a little harder to pick up you grade point average. These prerequisites will be the basis for all education to come. Being good at just a few first-aid skills will not get you by. You must actually start to learn why you are doing these skills.

How much weight will EMT-B carry with getting in?

Very little to none. They want people who can think as well as do a few skills. Get your grades up.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree. EMS and Nursing is alike oil & vinegar. Better spend time beefing up your GPA to be considered into a nursing program. Also, if general education is difficult I suggest talking to counselors to how to improve reading and study habits, nursing courses will be more difficult.

R/r 911

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
... oil & vinegar....

ummm... now I want some bread!

Like everyone else has said try to get your GPA up. I have been talking to a few of the nursing students who were emt's before and they said yah it helped but the academics is where it counts.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The nursing school that I will be applying to in about a year places more emphasis on grades than anything else. Minimum 3.0 GPA to apply, and in reality you're going to need a minimum 3.5 to have a relatively good chance to get in. They do, however, state in a letter sent to all pre-nursing majors that they also look highly upon prior health care experience, and specifically mention work as an EMT or CNA.

That said, a student with a good GPA and no health care experience probably has a better shot of getting in than a student with an average or poor GPA and health care experience.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
In California it doesn;t matter one way or another. All you need is proff that you were born outside the U.S. and are here illegally and POOF, you are in. Can't speak english? Even better!!!

In all honestly, prior experience doesn;t seem to play as big a role in being a good student. No offence to all the other EMT's out there, but you have to be a moron not to get through. Nursing school, etc... is a whole nother ball of wax. Nursing schools want people that stand a good chance of making it and showing to the world why their school is the best.

8jimi8

CFRN
Your EMT experience will probably make you feel a little less nervous when interacting with patients, but the curriculum really doesn't touch what you will learn in nursing school.

getting your GPA is a much better way to get yourself into a nursing school. Then you will have good grades AND prior health care experience.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Being a medic might help, but being just someone who knows a little first aide will not

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be forewarned not ALL nursing educators likes EMT's or those within EMS. As they have seen a deluge of many attempting to enter their profession through the backdoor and then to attempt to change their profession to be like...... ? Yep, EMS. As one told an EMT if your profession was so great why are you leaving it?

I know of several nursing professors I would never recommend telling you were an EMT prior. It will be the kiss of death.

Just be very careful and cautious.

R/r 911

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
In California it doesn;t matter one way or another. All you need is proff that you were born outside the U.S. and are here illegally and POOF, you are in. Can't speak english? Even better!!!
Are you serious? Most of the nursing programs at universities I know of are pretty competitive. People with bachelor degrees usually apply to several schools and often have to do more than one round of applications to finally get into a respectable program.

Interesting advice Rid. Never thought about that.
And yes, grades will be the most important factor, most likely. EMT can show good clinical experience, but it doesn't really offset much (or I hear from current EMTs applying to programs).

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I am an EMT-B and am wanting to eventually go to schol for a BSN. My grades for my nursing prerequesites are not the best, however, so I am wondering if my EMT will help me out.

Will this experience help pick up some of the slack from my poor grades? They are good enough to meet the minimum requirements, but not competetive at all. How much weight will EMT-B carry with getting in?

the nursing schools in my area don't consider any kind of work experience or volunteer experience. they strictly base it off of your grades first, then any additional classes, that are necessary, you have taken, then off of the interview.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Be forewarned not ALL nursing educators likes EMT's or those within EMS. As they have seen a deluge of many attempting to enter their profession through the backdoor and then to attempt to change their profession to be like...... ? Yep, EMS. As one told an EMT if your profession was so great why are you leaving it?

I know of several nursing professors I would never recommend telling you were an EMT prior. It will be the kiss of death.

As if nursing didn't have a list of faults in their profession too.

Perhaps these educators need to recuse themselves, Last I checked, bias was counterproductive to education?

I offer my loyal assurance that for every poor EMS professional, I could pick out a poor nurse. I would even bet that per capita, between nurses, EMTS, medics, and physicans the number of poor providers is about equal.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As if nursing didn't have a list of faults in their profession too.

Perhaps these educators need to recuse themselves, Last I checked, bias was counterproductive to education?

I offer my loyal assurance that for every poor EMS professional, I could pick out a poor nurse. I would even bet that per capita, between nurses, EMTS, medics, and physicans the number of poor providers is about equal.

Although I may agree and as well I have to ask which part of medicine does not have problems? I have to admit they are much more prouder and have more self assurance than most other health care professions. Maybe because they had to work over 200 years to gain their recognition.

One though must remember, it is their country/profession (per say) and as the old saying goes.. "When in Rome.." I doubt, that those with a PhD or DNSc will ever get "over themselves" when comparing those that complete a clock hour course and wants some sort of formal recognition of that.

R/r 911

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Although I may agree and as well I have to ask which part of medicine does not have problems? I have to admit they are much more prouder and have more self assurance than most other health care professions. Maybe because they had to work over 200 years to gain their recognition.

One though must remember, it is their country/profession (per say) and as the old saying goes.. "When in Rome.." I doubt, that those with a PhD or DNSc will ever get "over themselves" when comparing those that complete a clock hour course and wants some sort of formal recognition of that.

R/r 911

Do you think that your contributions in medicine via the EMS field should not be considered by a PhD or DNSc as worthy?

Or anybody else for that matter?

Do these same providers get angry when a Physician looks down upon them? We've both heard the sniping:

"If a nurse wants to practice medicine, they should go to medical school."

"a doctor can always become a nurse, a nurse cannot always become a doctor"

I don't like or agree with that kind of jargon myself, but I know it goes on. Seems sort of hypocritical to not like it when that attitude is taken about nurses and then to turn around and take it with somebody else. Perhaps these "providers" are not very good or respectable after all?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes, I have heard that old saying about being a doctor. I find it amusing though as more and more health care professionals achieve a Doctorate and advanced educated level the Physicians are not the only ones that get to use the "Dr." title any more. Ironically, DNSc or DNP (Nurse Practitioners) can legally call themselves Dr.'s and prescribe tx. and offer prescriptions alike physicians and in some states can have free standing clinics without a physician overview. Alike other health care "Dr.s" in pharmacy, cardiopulmonary, nuclear medicine, physical therapy may have an extended role. Nowadays, the traditional term "Dr." means much more than what it used to. Physicians may have to actually start calling themselves just that "Physician".

As well again, I am not defending the nursing professors; but I can definitely see where they have developed such attitudes. Being an EMS advocate I appreciate many; but have to realize as we have stated numerous times; not all EMT's are created equal.

I was in one of the first "bridge" courses for Paramedic to RN. It was a pilot study and there were about 16 of us to enter. Within the first hour of the description of the "role and responsibility of the Nurse" a Paramedic described how "stupid it was to have to get an order for oxygen" for a patient. Not realizing that everyone has to have an order in some form or fashion, as it is a medication when prescribed for non resuscitative measures.

When demonstrating our clinical procedures.. one of the Paramedics bragged upon how they "never started anything less than an 18g IV needle".. When in fact the patient condition at the time did not need large bore or even medications.

I could list several other occurrences and truthfully may not agree; but understand their position.

Such ignorance and poor representation of our profession has jaded many Nursing Professors.

My point was be careful when describing your history. You may never know what their professional experiences maybe. Just stating you were in EMS may not always have a positive effect or attribute.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yes, I have heard that old saying about being a doctor. I find it amusing though as more and more health care professionals achieve a Doctorate and advanced educated level the Physicians are not the only ones that get to use the "Dr." title any more. Ironically, DNSc or DNP (Nurse Practitioners) can legally call themselves Dr.'s and prescribe tx. and offer prescriptions alike physicians and in some states can have free standing clinics without a physician overview. Alike other health care "Dr.s" in pharmacy, cardiopulmonary, nuclear medicine, physical therapy may have an extended role. Nowadays, the traditional term "Dr." means much more than what it used to. Physicians may have to actually start calling themselves just that "Physician".

The term "doctor" has been used since the beginning of advanced education. A professor of anything that has satisfied their academic and institutional requirements can use the title.

Physicians are now referred to by their specialty rather than just the term doctor. However, few know what a Hospitalist is and some don't know that specialty title refers to a physician. We use "Dr." to formally address anyone who has earned that title in either academia or the world or medicine the same as we would Mr. or Ms. It just shows respect for one's acheivements.

I was in one of the first "bridge" courses for Paramedic to RN. It was a pilot study and there were about 16 of us to enter. Within the first hour of the description of the "role and responsibility of the Nurse" a Paramedic described how "stupid it was to have to get an order for oxygen" for a patient. Not realizing that everyone has to have an order in some form or fashion, as it is a medication when prescribed for non resuscitative measures.

What many fail to see are the reimbursement, documentation and justification issues. For many things considered a therapy, an order must be in place. Even for standing orders, a written order must still signal that it has been activated to avoid confusion as well appropriate documentation must accompany. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

When demonstrating our clinical procedures.. one of the Paramedics bragged upon how they "never started anything less than an 18g IV needle".. When in fact the patient condition at the time did not need large bore or even medications.

I could list several other occurrences and truthfully may not agree; but understand their position.

Such ignorance and poor representation of our profession has jaded many Nursing Professors.

My point was be careful when describing your history. You may never know what their professional experiences maybe. Just stating you were in EMS may not always have a positive effect or attribute.

R/r 911

This feeling of the need to brag or show off has been the down fall of many Paramedics who have tried nursing school. Too few can separate "the street" and what they were allowed to do, sometimes not always with justification or accountability, to learn new things. If they could get past their focus on a few skills they might make decent nurses.

Unfortunately, just the "skills" do not impress nursing (or any other of the health care professions) educators who would like people to know the theory or justify the use of such skills. Often, Paramedics get frustrated, not only in a nursing class but in the ED as well, when asked "why?" The ED may also have a critical audience who are familiar with "street methods" and are not as easily impressed as the 19 y/o nursing student. But, many nursing students may already have enough theory and A&P classes behind them to start asking "Why?" also.

I could use myself as an example. When I entered RT school, I had been intubating for several years and was darn great at it and respected by my EMS co-workers. I was quickly humbled by what I didn't know and how I could actually have harmed patients by the misinformation I was taught in the field by some of my mentors in EMS.