EMT Student - General Questions

PD the EMT

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in week 4 of my EMT training and so far I am loving it. I've done some volunteer work in my local Emergency Department but other than that... I have an engineering department background.

So to all the wise and weathered out there, what advice can you give? What are the best things to purchase (stethoscopes, flashlights, scissors... you name it.)?

I look forward to joining all of you in the ranks of EMS.

Thanks,

Perry ( don't let the name fool you, I just knew I couldn't change it later.)

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
The only thing I found really helpful were some study review guides, and a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff so I could practice taking BP. Good luck!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
To truly assess your patients, you should be able to hear them well with this.

To be safe at night, your best bet for flashlights is here.

Stripping your patients down will be a snap with these.

Best boots? Look no further.

Oh, to hold all your cool stuff!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PD the EMT

Forum Ride Along
Are you foolin me...

I'll wait I have an EMS job for that stethoscope. For now... The Littman Lightweight II's.

That's not a flashlight, that is portable sunshine, I'll stick with my mini mag for awhile.

I do like the Raptor Scissors/Multitool. Almost ordered one the other day. Again, I'll wait till I have a real job. I have some Prestige flouride coated for class.

Not sure on the boots...but the belt would go nicely with my purse! And I am Batman

OP
OP
P

PD the EMT

Forum Ride Along
Nope, not at all... I've been told I'll fit right in with the EMS/ER crowd.

You bunch of sick *******s! Ha!

-PD

OP
OP
P

PD the EMT

Forum Ride Along
On a serious note. My instructor said to get a super cheap stethoscope. So I rushed right over to my local Walmart and bought me one hight tech super cool $10 Steth. It hurts, it's crappy. Is the Littman Lightweight II's a good deal at $40 ish and for a starter EMT-B?

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
On a serious note. My instructor said to get a super cheap stethoscope. So I rushed right over to my local Walmart and bought me one hight tech super cool $10 Steth. It hurts, it's crappy. Is the Littman Lightweight II's a good deal at $40 ish and for a starter EMT-B?

The better the stethoscope the more you will be able to hear.. I would say $40 is fine starting out

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yep, that's a perfectly adequate stethoscope.

Also, this has been the single most painless "New EMT gear post" I have ever seen on this forum.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yep, that's a perfectly adequate stethoscope.

Also, this has been the single most painless "New EMT gear post" I have ever seen on this forum.
Agreed.

As a student you don't need to shell out $100+ for a stethoscope. Heck a lot of providers who have been working for years still don't have high dollar ones.

The $40 one is a good option.

Don't forget to pick this little gem up to keep all your gear clean

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want a good stethoscope, date a nurse. She'll have a $200 "extra" Littmann laying around.

My lady is a vet, that's how I got my nice 'scope.

OP
OP
P

PD the EMT

Forum Ride Along
Who doesn't have an Autoclave? I thought that was a given. Lol

My wife is a trauma nurse. She had a Sprague didn't like it so she bought the Littman Cardiology II's. Can't find the Sprague, it was her nursing school Steth, and she won't budge off her Littman.

This is my first venture into healthcare. Frankly, I wish I would have started sooner. I'm fascinated by what I have learned so far. And it's just the tip of the iceberg. 35 is a little late in life to be at the ground floor. But... if I help just one patient live better and happier it will be worth it. My background is engineering, so some of the acronyms aND abbreviations are giving me fits. But I have a great instructor and a hell of a tutor at home.

Thanks everyone for not totally noobing me here. I legitimately want to be a good EMT (Medic eventually).

PD

MedicD

Forum Ride Along
Welcome!
Most of the stuff that you need will be provided where you work (BP Cuff, trauma shears, etc.). I would however echo the previous posts and just say that a mid range stethoscope is a good investment ($40-60). Once you start using them, you will be able to tell the difference... Most of the ones the services provide are sub par.

If you are dyeing to buy stuff, you may consider picking up a decent pen light for cheap and just throw it in your pocket... Certainly, don't spend more than $20 on it. Many of the cheap ones the services buy are very unpredictable.

Welcome again!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Here's the catch 22 with equipment when you're new. On one hand, you don't want to buy something too advanced for your own need (I'm a doctor and I don't even need the $700 electronic Littmann...). On the other hand, if you buy a $40 stethoscope and end up buying the $200 Littmann Cardio 3, then you really just wasted $40.

OP
OP
P

PD the EMT

Forum Ride Along
It's more a matter of working with my own stuff, not as much a spend money issue. I actually went to the supplies store yesterday and picked up the Littman Lightweight stethoscope. It's really nice. Kind of looking forward to class.

And as a as my "own stuff" goes... I just prefer to use what I know and what I take care of. So I figured the shears, the steth, the flashlight, and probably a good multitool or knife were on me.

Thanks again everyone for the insight. I'm loving perusing the forums. A lot of knowledge on this website.

-Perry

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
The only things that I never leave home without, that I would seriously spend as much money on as possible are a pocketknife and a quality flashlight. I carry a Surefire EB1 (has two settings, very high and very low) and a microtech ultratech. I cannot tell you how many times having something more expensive has paid off when buddies' cheaper stuff crapped out or barely worked.

Personally, I do also plan on getting a very, very nice stethescope when I can afford it. Being able to hear stuff well can help you identify things. The more you hear them, the easier they are to identify in the future.

But, I would not leave the house without a really, really solid knife and a really, really solid flashlight.