EMT Student advice

Allie Kemper

Forum Ride Along
Hi! I am going in January to EMT-B training. I need suggestions on what to do after that. Go for the advanced EMT, Paramedic or use the EMT-B for awhile for the experience? I do not believe we are trained on IV's and such but I'm not sure. But my biggest question of all is, do all EMTS have to be Firefighters as well to find jobs? I live in Ohio, so I know it is different in different states. And if so where's the best place to go to become a Firefighter (anyone who lives in Ohio). Thanks in advance!!! :)

OP
OP
A

Allie Kemper

Forum Ride Along
Why not work in the field for a while to see if you even like it?
That's what I'm leaning towards. There's hardly any places though where I live that offer jobs for just EMT-B's though. All the private companies are full and not hiring, and the townships that are hiring, need you to be a Firefighter. That's why I'm trying to plan ahead.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I don't see a problem in getting both your EMT and Fire, it gives you more options. Maybe you will really like being a firefighter and want to pursue that more. Maybe you will like being an EMT and want to go on to your Paramedic stuff. Maybe it will open your eyes to something else in the medical field. The possibilities are really endless.

For me personally, I especially like Behavioral Health and want to pursue something more concentrated on that. Right now I'm a Dispatcher - you can go in so many different directions. Good luck and soak up all the experience and advice you can get.

OP
OP
A

Allie Kemper

Forum Ride Along
I don't see a problem in getting both your EMT and Fire, it gives you more options. Maybe you will really like being a firefighter and want to pursue that more. Maybe you will like being an EMT and want to go on to your Paramedic stuff. Maybe it will open your eyes to something else in the medical field. The possibilities are really endless.

For me personally, I especially like Behavioral Health and want to pursue something more concentrated on that. Right now I'm a Dispatcher - you can go in so many different directions. Good luck and soak up all the experience and advice you can get.
Thank you so much!! I think I'll conquer my EMT first then see what's happening with jobs then do my Firefighter and go from there! Maybe even venture else where like you! :) Thanks a bunch

habibti74

Forum Probie
Make sure you take the NREMT in case you want to move. There are more opportunities in bigger cities esp if you are willing to drive a little bit.

I would suggest working in the field and getting experience. A good EMT will save a medics ***!!!

OP
OP
A

Allie Kemper

Forum Ride Along
Make sure you take the NREMT in case you want to move. There are more opportunities in bigger cities esp if you are willing to drive a little bit.

I would suggest working in the field and getting experience. A good EMT will save a medics ***!!!
We for sure take the NREMT with my EMT program! Thank you so much for your suggestion! It's really reassuring me on everything!! I like your outlook on things haha! Thanks again! :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh, come on, not this again. No no no.
Thank you. A good EMT makes my job a little easier. A horrible EMT is going to just drive me from point A to point B.

I'm pretty sure the person who first said "a good EMT will save a medic's ***" was a life long EMT.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Dude....I totally saved my medic the other day. The silly goof left the bp cuff for the monitor in the ER! I was just doing God's work helping the fellow find it....

OK, you are right. I did save a few of my medics once when I was an EMT. I did it by driving safe and not bouncing their asses around the back.

AintNoDoctor

Forum Probie
I say this all the time and this is another great opportunity.
From my personal experience I highly recommend volunteering with a fire department if that's available near you (which it sometimes is not) you'll get experience and start learning the lay of the land so to speak. Generally departments will pay for classes and other things as well. (Just don't be the guy that takes their money and bolts) focus on your EMT. See if you like it and if you can cope with the job. Some people aren't cut out for the work and even worse some think they are when they aren't. Also, it's nice to watch other medics for a while so you can learn how and how not to do the job before you're in the hot seat ;)

Typically EMTs don't have IV training unless specifically given outside by a physician and phlebotomy course.. It's very rare.

AEMT is great dont get me wrong. I did it myself even... But unless required, or working strictly as an AEMT for a fire department it's usually a good idea to skip it. There are exceptions of course.

Jobs can be scarce, Idaho especially, but with enough exposure and work at it you'll learn where to look. Private rural companies often find themselves short handed but don't give up after just 1-2 applications. Again this is an area where affiliating yourself with a department will only help. Connections and local advice go a long long way in EMS.

You don't need to be a firefighter to find a job. Not even a little. HOWEVER... It certainly doesn't hurt and firefighter/EMT or firefighter/Paramedics usually make more money than their private company counterparts. It is much more competitive of course as well and usually takes much longer to get hired.

In conclusion I recommend the following: research your area, volunteer with a department, get your EMT, get a job/experience (perhaps with a private company), get your paramedic, rinse and repeat from here. People change their minds in this job all the time so stay flexible and work hard.

Hope that helps!